Future maps' size

Grigs

Hello dear community,

I was willing to open this new thread with the aim to get opinions from other virtual pilots on a specific question. I did not want to make a poll as I find them often lame. I thought it would be much more interesting for now to discuss the question.

We are regularly receiving news about the future Neveda terrain and EDGE coming along with it (or rather the opposite..). We know that the developpment is in advanced stage. Obviously, several questions remain for the developpers and decisions have to be made.

I am especially interested in the following: The file size for the new map. It looks like developpers are worried about it. And it sounds rather logical at first.

Now, ED has decided to drop 32bits OS support. I think that it is a good move. Technology is improving, computers get loaded with a mass of RAM for example, faster CPU and GCards, and other components overall.

My point is that HDD's capacity has evolved too. You can get yourself a 1To hard drive for a decent price.

Of course we cannot ignore the fact that the file has to be downloaded as well. But internet traffic and offers keep improving on their side. It might be uncomfortable, I admit, but you would have to theoretically download a few dozen Go only once and probably in different segments.

Probably it is not only a matter of space occupied on a physical support. A higher resolution requires more calculating capacity. I simply do not know how much.

Bottom line; I prefer to get a more detailled map rather than limiting its file size, unless users would have to own a competition computer. That is my opinion. The purpose of this thread is to see what other community's members think about this :)

Thank you,

Grigs

NB: A poll might be added in the future if the discussion requires it ;)

With regard to size and the cost of disk space...

I would not ever consider putting DCS back on a mechanical drive, but then none of my games/software reside on mechanical drives.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

The Prices of SSDs are coming down and are far better then standard HDDs which I now use for stoeage.

I myself are not worried about size.

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

Which means you do not want the files to be too large since SDD are way more expensive for a limited space. Do you confirm? :)

No, it means that the price of a mechanical hard drive is irrelevant with regard to the discussion. My flight machine has more than enough SSD space to handle anything ED comes up with.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Wags mentioned the map size prior integration into DCS was about 26 GB.

That is quite a number, even nowadays. And considering that the area covered is not the largest (360 km x 360 km) and when thinking of other upcoming maps that might be larger (hopefully! :o), those figgures have again a different meaning.

But my concerns are only in regards of download sizes, as it was said here already, local storage capacity is not really an issue. But as the overall size might be considerably less for the download (because of integration into DCS and because of probably good compressability of the whole upgrade), so I am only curious about the actual size, but not really concerned. :o)

For me they could make it 100G and could take a month to download and as detailed as possible. But I can see peoples reaction on steam to the download already LOL. Anyways im sure they will draw a balance between SIZE/DETAIL/DL SIZE.

DCSW wishlist : multi-crew :D

GTX480, i52400, 8GB, Samsung EVO 840 250G SSD, Raid 0 2TB =~45 FPS [Maxed]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't forget that Nevada is about 26GB mainly because it's using aerial photography as the ground textures. You can have detailed map with high resolution textures covering even larger area and still being smaller in data size, just by making it "by hand" while using specific texture set. And I hope we'll see maps like that because using aerial photography has more downs than ups.

For me they could make it 100G and could take a month to download and as detailed as possible. But I can see peoples reaction on steam to the download already LOL. Anyways im sure they will draw a balance between SIZE/DETAIL/DL SIZE.

ditto. 2013 is almost over, if that much is needed today for a good quality map then so be it.

Anton.

My pit build thread .

Simple and cheap UFC project

Steam users should get used to it quickly enough. At least this is a DLC that is not required to play the sim. Some of the base games out there now are over 20GB.

In such a case a dvd might be the better option the other thing to consider is Global terrain and its development connected to Nevada and the current map. IMO what will happen if an SDK is released is that the EDGE SDK will allow people to add to the map so 100GB is realistic or maybe even more if its a Global map when people have added their own maps.:thumbup: Another possibility is also time period maps for mods such as DCS WW2 so that would be a separate terrain because of the buildings of that time.

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]