Communication with Airport

Fantomas

hi everybody,

i am having trouble communication with airports, i.e. to get a heading direction.

i play the nevada map. in mission editor, i set a certain airports frequency to channel 1. then when i am in the plane, airborne, i set the channel selector to channel 1, press "push to talk". in the menu i choose "ATC" and the specific airport, then the second option to get a heading. but no reply. what am i doing wrong?

having my radio set to channel 2, i can talk to my wingman. that works fine.

cheers

seb

Channel I works special. You never receive on channel I. If channel I is selected on the dial then you transmit on I but receive on II. The III channel should be used with the airfield tower.

Also make sure volume receive dial is set fully clockwise (or partially increased). It may initialize fully CCW producing no volume.

Side note: Fine tune +-0.030 MHz, ATC allows deviation from central frequency +0.015 MHz. Communication is available with the central frequency between approx the 10 to 2 o'clock position of the dial.

thanks alot Frederf,

switching to channel III or IV solved my problem!

but to fully understand this:

why is channel I so special? does it make any sense to send on I and receive on II?

It is part of the organization of forces in flight. Channel "I" is to support ground control. It is a necessary part of Y-system control. Presumably talking channel "I" would be to ground controller of Y-system which would talk back to you on your known "II" frequency. Channel "I" is fixed at 1.9MHz below "II".

Mostly it is for intercepting bomber raids at night. By Y-control the intercept controller can steer you to the target formation. Airplanes without Y-system have all channels operating in the normal manner.