Flight Qualifications Campaign

Hi Sabre, my first contact with the Mission Editor was motivated by the amount of frustration I got from a huge number of failures I had with your #6 mission ... and I feel lucky enough from having such a good reason to be persistent on that task as it looks like programming with assembly language. You really have to know what you're doing to get any consistent result.

So here I am with 2 questions:

• #1 WTF those heading parameters that look like their effective-value has to be the complement to 360!
    :cry: Any comment on that ?
  • #2 is about BFT06's Flags 41 and 43 heading triggers:

• It would make more sense if Flag 43 heading was exactly the same as Flag 41 heading. That would simply be facing the same quadrant with a banking angle in the opposite direction while getting back on course.

...and this could be related to...

• Flag 43 UNIT'S HEADING LIMITS MIN=165 is greater than its MAX=95

Everything would be easier if both headings were MIN:165 MAX:275, meaning:

MIN=(360-165) = 195

MAX=(360-275) = 85

:book: That would be facing SE near lazy 8 start and end.

- facing SE, turning East from initial 210 heading (start check).

- facing SE, turning West back on course to 210 (end check).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[edit]

In the mean time, I cheat with my debug Lazy8.miz in which I added some means to restart the lazy8 test if you bank upside down and get back to 210-8000.

+ With banking white messages above hard deck 4600, heading messages every 30 deg boundaries below.

+ Flying above the landing zone above 5000 will restart the landing test.

...but no qualification or mission goals.

Yes programming the missions is part art and part science. I don't know how much of each part but it is a lot of trial and error (with more failures than successes).:(

That being said when I was developing the mission I noticed that to determine the heading for a plane it had to be based on a formula from 360 degrees. I actually made a heading conversion chart (see attached) so I wouldn't have to keep manually calculating it for each mission.

However in testing I noticed that sometimes the ranges were too narrow and the turn was too fast that the trigger wouldn't trip so in those cases I made the range larger (and assumed that the pilot was making the correct turn to get into the range).

I have not played the mission since 1.1.0.9 came out so I'll test that today and see what is going on. I appreciate the feedback on the flag values so I'll check those as well.

I'll try your lazy8 mission and see if I can incorporate those learnings into a future update. Thanks for the feedback.:smilewink:

Heading Conversion Chart.pdf

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about ready to add some more results from my ongoing attempts with ME and I saw your reply to my previous questions. So I see I'm not taking everything backwards after all ;)

Here is something that may help at getting less frustrated after a lengthy cold start, some great maneuvering results all ruined by some tiny mistake you can't avoid until a hundred times at doing each of those aerobatics.

Anyway, it helps me as, thanks to you, I really (and I mean really!) know how to behave during a cold start (hundreds of them under my belt for newcomer I still am).

Thanks once more for paving the road for me. So, my attached BFT07_Loop_7_Loop.miz (*) is based on the Loop part of your BFT07_Aerobatics_V1.0.miz.

The idea is about being able to repeat a very specific part of the whole qualification in order to make it so easy that a mastered 90% success for each topic can get you closer to a good qualification probability.

Here is what is in this -very small- miz file, 361k instead of the 6000k of BFT07.

For my ME work part, it means that:

- I could pinpoint the minimum necessary to be extracted in order to have the intro, check, fail and passed triggers working.

- Could replace all the ONCE triggered rules with FRONT CONDITION's in order to make them re-triggerable by a reset rule called by failed or passed triggers from the previous attempt (or at mission start)

And for the use experience part:

- The start condition expects a heading of 040 (035-045) and you get the message ...Begin when ready.

- Then, you get an audible feedback when each trigger gets activated and a white message about the trigger... If you don't hear it when it's supposed to occur... too bad ... hope the best for the next loop.

I think you can see why I chose the loop exercise here!

Thanks for your Heading Conversion Chart.pdf ... I'm sure it will be handy!

And I intend to do more for those other Qualipains :badmood:

...an improved miz version in this thread:

BFT07_Loop_7_Loop.jpg.dd0413f2fd68d22aadc8122e1ada683f.jpg

BFT07_Loop_7_Loop.miz

Edited by ivanwfr

(...)

That being said when I was developing the mission I noticed that to determine the heading for a plane it had to be based on a formula from 360 degrees. I actually made a heading conversion chart (see attached) so I wouldn't have to keep manually calculating it for each mission.

(...)

You may be interested by the first version of a replacement I could get working based on a small AutoHotkey script.

As I intend to improve this first tool, I opened the ME - AutoHotkey utilities thread where it will be updated with improvements based on eventual feed-backs. And, if someone is interested, I will provide any detailed information that may help.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays in posting. Summertime, relatives visiting, etc.

BFT08 - Emergencies has been posted to ED's user files section pending moderator approval.

TIP: Please ensure you consult PAULRKIII's Emergency Procedures Checklist located here: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=53786&d=1310911261

This was tested on the 1.1.0.9 patched version.

Here is the link to ED's User Files Section: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

BFT09 - Instrument Approach and Landing should be done soon too (maybe another week).

Edited by Sabre-TLA
Adding link to PAULRKIII's Emergency Checklist

BFT08 - Emergencies has been posted to ED's user files section pending moderator approval.

Here is the link to ED's User Files Section: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

BFT09 - Instrument Approach and Landing should be done soon too (maybe another week).

Awesome. Thank you so much for these!

1338 - beyond leet

ED Forum rules EN|DE|RU

TIP: Please ensure you consult PAULRKIII's Emergency Procedures Checklist located here: http://forums.eagle.ru/attachment.php?attachmentid=53786&d=1310911261

I'll have to download and check it out :thumbup:

I tested the BFT1 one today and using the real world startup checklist I was slightly disappointed that it's based on the startup tutorial. I understand this though because Paulrkiii's documents were not available at the time you created those missions ;-)

Edited by Migo

I tested the BFT1 one today and using the real world startup checklist I was slightly disappointed that it's based on the startup tutorial. I understand this though because Paulrkiii's documents were not available at the time you created those missions ;-)

Thank's Migo. You are right. For the latest mission I did use what was available but I will review all previous missions and update them (maybe when I finally get them all into a single campaign).

Thank you for your insight, for the needs, and efforts in creating the Qualifications Missions - exactly what the sim needed :thumbup:

What's the deal (Landing Quals) though? do we fly through Waypoint 9, go around, contact ATC etc, and then go through the touch 'n' go (announce abort?) and then go around again (contact ATC, etc) and land/ shut down?

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Thank you for your insight, for the needs, and efforts in creating the Qualifications Missions - exactly what the sim needed :thumbup:

What's the deal (Landing Quals) though? do we fly through Waypoint 9, go around, contact ATC etc, and then go through the touch 'n' go (announce abort?) and then go around again (contact ATC, etc) and land/ shut down?

Yes. Qualification is both the touch and go and the landing so you need to get another inbound vector for the 2nd landing attempt.

Wow this sounds awesome I was thinking that if these missions are based on a real life pilots trainning course for the A-10C then perhaps a completion of the entire pack should give the pilot his C Hog wings for his log book. Perhaps they could also reflect this on an official C Hog signature to show a person has qualified for the C Hog.:thumbup:

Awesome work BTW.:pilotfly:

[sIGPIC]2011subsRADM.jpg

[/sIGPIC]

On the 6th mission, BFT06 - Advanced Handling: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/59513/

Even if I do the lazy eight and sprial dive, it keeps saying you failed.

Am I missing something? What triggers success in these two manoeuvres?

Can you please help?

I've posted something about wrong heading triggers in that mission (post #200) and got no reaction of any kind.

Thanks for the clarification Sabre... but, I get no permission to drop below 5,000ft hard floor @ or after WPT 9, or to begin landing assessment.

I did though get a severe rap on the knuckles for popping a tyre on the second full landing attempt (going through the motions anyway)... which I think, even getting close to the strip, let alone putting down on it in cyclone weather was an achievement :joystick: in itself.

kkkk, so do a James T. Kirk... get in there and change the test paramenters :music_whistling: ... namely, taming down the weather, go through the full run and go through to and shutdown .... and... silence :cry:

what am I missing? :helpsmilie:

Edited by Wolf Rider

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

Lesson 9.

Can't seem to trigger anything after the "hard deck in effect" call. I've tried repeatly hitting alt (8000') and airspeed (260kts) at waypt 2. Even flew formation on lead for a couple of circuits, he didn't notice me appearantly. Is there another trigger I'm missing?

Only blowing tires on bad crosswind landings will arouse FE to yell at me.

Thanks for these missons. Really a lesson in how sloppy my flying was. This lesson, with it's pitch black weather and lack of sea horizon, in particular reinforces good instrument flying.

I tried again noting the wind triangle numbers from the cdu and planning page.

Desired Course 005deg

Wind 271deg @ 34kts

True Airspeed 296kts (IAS 260kts at 8000ft)

Using a wind triangle calculator the Heading to be flown is 358deg.

I think the trigger allowable limits are 1 to 84 deg (not sure since it's the first time I even opened the mission editor). Those limits should probably be centered about 358deg. (318 to 360) or (1 to 42)

Edited by doright
Added wing triangle info

On the 6th mission, BFT06 - Advanced Handling: http://files.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/59513/

Even if I do the lazy eight and sprial dive, it keeps saying you failed.

Am I missing something? What triggers success in these two manoeuvres?

Can you please help?

First check to see you have version 1.1 of BFT06. I updated the triggers based on some early feedback.

I've tried to keep the checks simple (keeps the programming simple too) so here they are:

Spiral Dive - There are 3 checks:

Check 1:

Bank -64 -6 - Left Turn Bank greater than 10 degrees up to 60 degrees

Heading 10 95 - Relative heading between 340 and 250

Altitude Lower Than 4537 - Below 14700'

Check 2:

Heading 10 95 - Relative heading between 340 and 250

Altitude Lower Than 2994 - Below 9700'

Check 3:

Altitude Lower Than 2377 - Below 7700'

Altitude Higher Than 1852 - Higher than 6000'

The first check determines that you are banking and dropping altitude and the heading gives me a reference to count the spirals. The 2nd check shows that you are still in the bank, have dropped another 2000' and have made another full spiral. The third check just confirms you dropped another 2000' but have not gone below 6000'.

Lazy Eight - There are 4 checks:

Check 1:

Heading 165 275 - Relative heading between 190 and 70

Check 2:

Altitude Higher Than 2407 - Above 7800'

Altitude Lower Than 2531 - Below 8200'

Check 3:

Bank 6, 64 - Right Turn Bank greater than 10 degrees up to 60 degrees

Heading 165, 95 - Relative heading between 190 and 260

Check 4:

Heading 135 155 - Relative heading between 220 - 200

Altitude Lower Than 2531 - Below 8200'

Altitude Higher Than 2407 - Above 7800'

Pitch -5 10 - Level pitch

Bank -10 10 - Level bank

The first check determines that you are banking left and your heading is changing. The second check determines that you are still at 8000' altitude. The third check confirms you are banking right and your heading is changing.

The fourth check confirms you are back on heading 210, at 8000' altitude and flying wings level and pitch level.

I hope this helps. Maybe in a future update I can include a diagram that shows these maneuvers better.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

Wow this sounds awesome I was thinking that if these missions are based on a real life pilots trainning course for the A-10C then perhaps a completion of the entire pack should give the pilot his C Hog wings for his log book. Perhaps they could also reflect this on an official C Hog signature to show a person has qualified for the C Hog.:thumbup:

Awesome work BTW.:pilotfly:

Thanks and an excellent idea that I have been considering (basically show me your tracks and I'll certify that you passed the training) but I need to correct your perception. These missions are based on the actual A/OA-10 Aircrew Evaluation Criteria Document AFI11-2A-OA-10V2 not based on real training courses.

I would think the actual A-10C pilot training courses would be classified.

I've done my best to make them seem as real as possible and they are built based on a number of web references (in particular: JSUPT http://www.baseops.net/militarypilot/).

However I'm sure real A-10 pilots would laugh at these missions as they are not long enough nor demanding enough. I have to work within the constraints of the Mission Editor so I can't test things like Airmanship, Conduct Pre and Post Mission Briefings, test all emergency procedures, etc.

ED has done a fantastic job on this sim and the ME that I thought it would be possible to create a series like this. Each mission is a challenge to design and they are not perfect but hopefully enjoyable and I get a sense of accomplishment when I finish the mission and then get a Q or Q- rating with my own flying!

Thanks for the clarification Sabre... but, I get no permission to drop below 5,000ft hard floor @ or after WPT 9, or to begin landing assessment.

I did though get a severe rap on the knuckles for popping a tyre on the second full landing attempt (going through the motions anyway)... which I think, even getting close to the strip, let alone putting down on it in cyclone weather was an achievement :joystick: in itself.

kkkk, so do a James T. Kirk... get in there and change the test paramenters :music_whistling: ... namely, taming down the weather, go through the full run and go through to and shutdown .... and... silence :cry:

what am I missing? :helpsmilie:

I can't make the mission too easy ;) but I try to make them challenging enough. Maybe this one is too hard. If I get more feedback I'll consider updating in a future release.

This mission is basically the same as BFT04 - Approach and Landing with the ILS and weather added.

I'm not sure why you didn't get the instructions to land. When you first fly to Waypoint 2 you should get a message like "Ok Cadet! Your performance check starts now".

Then you turn to 260 A8 at 260 knots.

Then a message about setting up the ILS for Batumi. Then a message to set the HSI for course 120.

Then the next set of messages are:

"Turn left towards the airport and make your descent to the pattern altitude. Enter the pattern when ready and maintain 230 knots. The hard deck restriction is terminated."

The hard deck remains terminated until the landing. After the touch and go you abort the inbound and request a new inbound vector and redo your landing approach. Let me know if you still have problems and I can provide a detail of the mission checks.

Edited by Sabre-TLA
Fixing a mistake

Lesson 9.

Can't seem to trigger anything after the "hard deck in effect" call. I've tried repeatly hitting alt (8000') and airspeed (260kts) at waypt 2. Even flew formation on lead for a couple of circuits, he didn't notice me appearantly. Is there another trigger I'm missing?

Only blowing tires on bad crosswind landings will arouse FE to yell at me.

Thanks for these missons. Really a lesson in how sloppy my flying was. This lesson, with it's pitch black weather and lack of sea horizon, in particular reinforces good instrument flying.

I tried again noting the wind triangle numbers from the cdu and planning page.

Desired Course 005deg

Wind 271deg @ 34kts

True Airspeed 296kts (IAS 260kts at 8000ft)

Using a wind triangle calculator the Heading to be flown is 358deg.

I think the trigger allowable limits are 1 to 84 deg (not sure since it's the first time I even opened the mission editor). Those limits should probably be centered about 358deg. (318 to 360) or (1 to 42)

Sounds like you didn't get to Waypoint 2 for some reason. See post #221

Okay, thanks for the tips... weather was tamed only to make it easier to check for what was supposed to happen (I quite like it as you set it :thumbup: ) and again, thanks for your efforts.

Perhaps I'm just not cracking WP 2 correctly...now, to head back to the evaluation board :)

Edited by Wolf Rider

-

Okay, thanks for the tips... weather was tamed only to make it easier to check for what was supposed to happen (I quite like it as you set it :thumbup: ) and again, thanks for your efforts.

Perhaps I'm just not cracking WP 2 correctly...now, to head back to the evaluation board :)

I think there is a problem with BFT09 and the ramp start. I did some testing today and in both cases I flew to WP 2 and didn't get the PO start message.

Starting from the runway does appear to work.

I'm going to redo that trigger and see if I can get it to work properly.

For now open the mission in the mission editor, select the aircraft and change it to Takeoff from runway start.

I can't explain what happened (and I thought I had tested it but likely not).:(

I think there is a problem with BFT09 and the ramp start. I did some testing today and in both cases I flew to WP 2 and didn't get the PO start message.

Starting from the runway does appear to work.

I'm going to redo that trigger and see if I can get it to work properly.

For now open the mission in the mission editor, select the aircraft and change it to Takeoff from runway start.

I can't explain what happened (and I thought I had tested it but likely not).:(

I've reviewed and updated BFT09 - Instrument Approach and Landing to V1.1. It's been posted to ED's User Files section pending moderator approval.

I believe I have fixed the ramp start bug, found a couple of other bugs in the process and adjusted some altitude checks. I also updated the diagram as I noticed it was not truly reflecting the mission accurately.

Hopefully this makes it playable now and I am sorry for not having better quality control checks before release.