Concealed AAA

Big_les

I'm just starting out on the campaigns, and have a feeling I'm not ready, since I've failed "Stronghold" multiple times (mostly by either hitting the hills or snapping my own rotors in the fog).

Anyway, the only thing holding me up from completing this first proper mission now is that damn ZSU - if I climb so I can lock and engage it, it shoots me down, if I stay down in the weeds, I can't see it to get a lock. Yet I can pick out individual infantry and nail them with the cannon.

Any tips? Sorry if this is major noobery.

If you are close enough to use the canon you are way too close. Range is your friend - try and stay 5 or 6 km until you are sure all the nasties are taken care of. You might need to manoeuvre around quite a lot but there is always an angle some where so you can get a clear view.

Cheers, Jack :)

Edited by Jack57
spelling

"The only thing a chopper pilot should do downwind is take a leak" - CFI

CPL(H). AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 6000+ @3.3 GHz, 2GB Corsair DDR2 667, nVidia GeForce 9600 GT 1 GB, SB Audigy 2.

Logitech Extreme 3D Pro modified: no centering springs, extended shaft. CH Pro Throttle; vertical chair mount.

You say "fog". I havent flown the mission but if you CAN target him from a greater range, then what Jack57 stated is what you should do. If the fog is too heavy for long range try to find some other angle and mask yourself behind some object and try from there. If the vehicle detects your position (look for turret movement) - back away and pop up carefully from another angle.

Im not familiar with the mission, but just adding little meat. :)

Good luck!

Regards

Alex "Snuffer" D.

AMD FX8350 (8 core) 4.1GHZ ::: 8GB Dominator 1600mhz ::: GTX660 2GB ::: 2xHD ::: 24" ASUS

I wondered about terrain masking after I logged off in defeat yesterday, but the mission takes place in a deep valley - so unless there's a little ridge I can exploit, it's not an option.

I can't get a lock with Vikhrs (or, indeed, any other weapon!) cos of the fog. I suppose I could do a Predator and watch where his fire is coming from, and saturate the area with rockets. But as you say, if I'm that close...

Thanks for the advice guys - I was able to use a combination of your suggestions to get an angle on the ZSU without it being able to open fire on me. I then took out the bunkers, and flew in steadily with the cannon, trying to suppress the infantry (which is probably not modelled) and killing a few of them. The ones on the building roofs were easily dispatched. Thinking about it, long rocket bursts would have been best.

I landed running on fumes, having fended off a cat attack in the "cockpit" as I was trying to set up a hover.