Dogfighting Tips and Tricks!

Hi guys, I have fairly recently purchased the 109 and now fairly comfortable in takeoff/landing flight and done a bit of online fighting also I have come from the Spitfire, I was wondering what people's tips are on dogfighting with Spits or Mustangs. And what you try to do to win the fight, and also if you have any sneaky spotting techniques. I really struggle on working on what is friendly and what isn't, until its too late and I'm then the target! :helpsmilie:

Anyway thanks in advance

Jamie

I don't have the BF109 yet in DCS, but I flew it for years in IL2. The best tactic is the same one the German pilots used in WW2. Stay high, dive down on the enemy, shoot and pull back and up to high altitude. If you screw up and dive on a friendly you're not trapped down low in a turn fight. Just buzz the friendly and pull back up.

Which is how I got my name. :)

Buzz

get to know your plane profiles... picking up on little elements goes a long way in ID your bogey:

Spit IX: big eliptical wings... dual intakes each side etc.

spitfire-9-draw.jpg

109K4: air intake left cowling etc:

440px-Bf109K_3Seiten_neu.jpg

look the profules up and print them off - its a good exercise for a new pilot.

As for dogfighting... the 109k4 is all about energy and fighting in the vertical. enter each fight ABOVE your enemy and don't be scared to dive away/climb and come back.

Here is a great (and funny) introduction into dogfighting from an old friend:

http://emdev.de/bookofnoob.html

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I generally use two ways to ID fighters when on the Burning skies server.

The first is that it's only the German fighters that shoots green tracers. You can be fairly certain that if green tracers is being shot at something, then that's a badguy. Orange tracers has a good chance of being a Spit or P-51.

Second, I look for the rounded wing shape of the Spit. The wings of the Spitfire is fairly unique in that they are rounded all around so that's usually a dead giveaway.

• 1 month later...
I generally use two ways to ID fighters when on the Burning skies server.

The first is that it's only the German fighters that shoots green tracers. You can be fairly certain that if green tracers is being shot at something, then that's a badguy. Orange tracers has a good chance of being a Spit or P-51.

Second, I look for the rounded wing shape of the Spit. The wings of the Spitfire is fairly unique in that they are rounded all around so that's usually a dead giveaway.

the rudder too..

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Depends how serious you are about your air combat....but THE book if you are really interested :smartass:

https://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Combat-Maneuvering-Robert-Shaw/dp/0870210599

513P2687GSL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]