Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook

lobo

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/172905/

IMG_8502.jpg

A checklist and quick reference handbook for DCS A-10C. Formatted as PDF, it can be used in either printed form or on the IPAD.

Originally a rough collection of notes and tips gleaned from the manuals, forums, training guides, video's and checklists for my own personal use. I've tidied it up a bit and am putting it out for anyone who would like to use it for non-cercial use.

Reasons for this checklist/QRH (Quick Reference Handbook)...

• I wanted a checklist that was formatted to more closely resemble the checklists used in my flt ops dept.

• I've gone through the lessons and used many of the superb community based training guides and checklists. I'm getting comfortable with the location of the various switches and controls in the virtual A-10C, and as such wanted a checklist that reflected this and was presented in a more abbreviated format.

• The checklist should be in a format that works equally well as both a printed and electronic document. Designed to fit in standard plastic approach plate protectors 5.5x8.5” (ie the ASA 7-Ring Approach Plate Sheet Protectors), this PDF also works very well on the IPAD being fully indexed with hyperlinks and return to index link on each page.

• I am not able to fly the sim every day, so it was important that the checklist would guide me (acting as a refresher) and help me to take a cold jet through to takeoff, fence in/out checks, after landing and shutdown checks. After landing if you need repairs, refuel or rearm you stay in the checklist and it will flow you all the way back to take-off. As well the checklist would incorporate quick reference guides for weapons employment, air refueling, hot pit rearming, refueling and repairs.

• The checklist includes items on TM Warthog HOTAS to ensure it is properly configured prior to start.

Credits:

I can not take credit for all of the information in this document. My contribution is the assembling of the information and reformatting of it into a single document.

This checklist would not be possible without the invaluable help found on the DCS and SimHQ forums, as well as the training documents and checklists created by the community. With this in mind I would like to thank the following in particular: BlueRidgeDx, Derelor, EinsteinEP, James “Eddie” Knight, MemphisBelle, nemises, paulrkii, shu77, toby23, War Hawks, WarriorX. Special thanks to the teams at Eagle Dynamics and Digital Combat Simulator, for an amazing simulation.

Any errors in the document are mine.

Cheers

Lobo

Edited by lobo**
fixed link
  • Like 5

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

Very helpful, the only thing I would have liked to see is an acronyms page at the end.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 memory OC @ 1648MHz

i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz OC @ 4.4xxMHz

Nvidia GTX 590 3GB

Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Motherboard

Crucial 128GB SSHD

APU GEN should be on right away. The circuit will engage itself as soon as necessary, IIRC, and you need it on to cool the APU ... again, IIRC. Turn it on, leave it on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Nice one, I´ve added that to the A-10C ED Wiki Tutorial Collection (section, Reference Documents)

What I´ve noticed

Page 6

CICI............................................................................ON

doesn´t it meant to be CICU..

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I just looked at the RWR threat chart and found a small error. SA-9 and SA-13 are IR-guided and therefore will not show up with a RWR symbol.

IRL the Strelas and the Zeuss is used in conjunction with/will be relying on the Dog Ear Radar, an early warning surveillance and target acquisition radar which is used to provide target information:

2268591758_fe84d1665b_o.jpg

That is probably the RWR symbol being referred to.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

I believe at least one of those has a range-only radar. Could be wrong.

Good stuff I must say ... :thumbup:

I just looked at the RWR threat chart and found a small error. SA-9 and SA-13 are IR-guided and therefore will not show up with a RWR symbol.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Good stuff I must say ... :thumbup:

Thanks Ghanja.

The official DCS A-10C manual does list the SA-13 as a possible symbol in the sim. pg 412. However I just checked in the sim and you are correct. The SA-9 and 13 do not show RWR symbols... Well I do see the "M" once in a while. :helpsmilie:

Will adjust in next update.

Lobo's DCS A-10C Normal Checklist & Quick Reference Handbook current version 8D available here:

Yes, I know but should the RWR show DE in this case?

Yes, provided that the SAM/AAA system is set up in the mission as it's RL counterpart would be.

In the big, bad world you would know you're in the vicinity of a Strela/Zeuss if your RWR lights up with the 'DE' symbol. You might even be a couple seconds away from a real hiding and not know it, given the Dog Ears' 80km acquisition range and 35km tracking range. Said information datalinked to a Zeuss SPAAG for example will see you sawn in half with no warning whatsoever from an AAA battery you did not know existed, leaving you wondering why you ignored the 'DE' on the RWR.

Fortunate for the player is that this is not currently modelled in-SIM. If it is however authenticity you are after insofar as mission-design is concerned, then a player will do well to associate the 'DE' RWR symbol with the presence of Strela/AAA units, even though said units are by themselves not necessarily dependant on Radar for target engagement.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

Thanks for adding to the collection MemphisBelle. Will make the correction with the next revision.

Nice one, I´ve added that to the A-10C ED Wiki Tutorial Collection

What I´ve noticed

Page 6

doesn´t it meant to be CICU..

APU GEN should be on right away. The circuit will engage itself as soon as necessary, IIRC, and you need it on to cool the APU ... again, IIRC. Turn it on, leave it on.

Hi GGTharos, just looking at the -1 (for the A-10A), as well as paulrkii's checklist and they both show the APU start and then the APU gen switched on, later the APU gen off and then the APU off. This is how I have it in my checklist in the before start and before taxi checks, is this not correct with the A-10C?

Thanks.

AFAIK, probably not correct with any A-10, the APU GEN isn't even touched by the pilot, it's just always on. Again, AFAIK, and I'm not a very good source on this one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi GGTharos, just looking at the -1 (for the A-10A), as well as paulrkii's checklist and they both show the APU start and then the APU gen switched on, later the APU gen off and then the APU off. This is how I have it in my checklist in the before start and before taxi checks, is this not correct with the A-10C?

Thanks.

My checklist is exactly like the real world 1A-10C-1CL with a few changes (all highlighted)

AFAIK, probably not correct with any A-10, the APU GEN isn't even touched by the pilot, it's just always on. Again, AFAIK, and I'm not a very good source on this one.

Incorrect. Anyone who runs the APU, pilot or ground crew, turn the apu gen on once the APU is stable at 100% and turns it off before shutting down the APU.

The APU is started and shut down with "no load.". no load means no electrical power (gen off) no bleed air, and no hydraulics.

And yes, I am real world APU run qualified. We have to go through a 2 day course to run the APU, engine run is a week long.

Edited by Snoopy

Well there are six pages of acronyms at the back of A-10C Warthog manual starting on pg 661. :)

Perhaps you missed the part about "quick reference" :smilewink:

Nice manual, thank you for sharing.

I've been looking for an excuse to get Flight Crew Check List Binders again. I now have one :)

Nice manual, thank you for sharing.

I've been looking for an excuse to get Flight Crew Check List Binders again. I now have one :)

Your welcome Booger! Gross nick btw. lol.

Has anyone tried it on the IPAD? I am quite pleased with how the checklist works in electronic format. Many hyperlinks allowing you to touch an item on the index and it takes you directly to that page. At the bottom of each page there is a link to touch and take you back to index.

Awesome! I'm in the same boat (not flying the sim daily) so I appreciate the little reminders on process and procedure!

Looks good on my Motorola Xoom (Android) using ezPDFReader and Adobe's app.

Fridge

----------

Things which do you no good in aviation:

1) Altitude above you;

2) Runway behind you;

3) Fuel in the truck;

4) The airspeed you don't have.

Your welcome Booger! Gross nick btw. lol.

Has anyone tried it on the IPAD? I am quite pleased with how the checklist works in electronic format. Many hyperlinks allowing you to touch an item on the index and it takes you directly to that page. At the bottom of each page there is a link to touch and take you back to index.

Yes, works great on my iPad2! Love the format and the Return to Index, makes it very easy to navigate between the important checklists and switch back and forth using the hyperlinks as necessary.

I'm returning to A-10 after about six months away and having all these checklists in one document makes it really easy for me to get back up to speed without having to dig through my old files.

Thanks very much to you and, of course, the original content contributors, for providing this information and getting it all into one easy to use document.