DSC not recognising Helios

lesthegrngo

Right, downloaded the new Helios, the script folder was copied to the DCS World saved game folder. Made the profile which (at the moment) just has the attitude indicator and heading indicator, and when I start the Helios program the two instruments appear correctly on the little monitor in the housing (see picture)

However, I cannot get Helios to show the in-game data, it stays as a static pair of instruments. I've followed the instructions on the video kindly produced by Capt. Zeen, and can't spot what I have done wrong - any ideas?

Some further info, I made sure that the DCS A10C was added as profile in the interfaces part by clicking on the 'setup DCS A-10C button, I've clicked on the 'reset' button for the install path, which seems to make it all good.

However it still doesn't do anything.

When I check in DCS, it doesn't have an option for the monitor combination that I have, and even though there is the monitor config thingy in Helios, there is no way to select anything beyond the limited presets in the monitor setup in game.

Pretty well stuck here

By the way, when I try to load the A10C profiles Capt Zeen made, it crashes the Helios Control Center app (clean install today)

As ever any help you can give would be gratefully received

Cheers

Les

20191226_124038.thumb.jpg.da6c70d97e327afa0adcdd96acc48806.jpg

20191226_124053.thumb.jpg.ef1b38ad99e0d804a1f527ff91df6987.jpg

Gents, as a part of trying to troubleshoot this myself I clicked on the 3 monitors option in DCS setup.... and have totally screwed myself! Now, all I can see is the middle portion of the screen, so I can select 'one monitor' from the screen dropdown, but there is no 'apply' button visible any more! The enter key doesn't apply the changes

The same applies to the resolution choices, I can select but not apply.

How can I apply the changes to get back to one monitor?

*****solved this one - I edited the Options.lua file back to 1camera and restored it******

Still need help getting Helios up and running though

I have been searching all the posts to try and see what is wrong. One thing I came across on Capt Zeen's site was in the FAQ's where it states

'-- No gauges working at all.

probably you got a problem in the export.lua of DCS

check if you are using the correct export.lua for your profile, and check if you put it in the correct place, usually in "my saved games/DCS/scripts"

Well, it only has the 'export.lua' file that came with the scripts in the downloads. My Helios Profile editor does not seem to be generating any new .lua files, is it supposed to? If so, where does it / should it put it? It's certainly not in the my saved games/DCS/scripts folder

Thanks

Edited by lesthegrngo

I have got it working, at least partially. The game rig was not the most comfortable place to work, certainly for typing and so forth, so I brought it up here to test on my office desktop.

Straight away I found that I could open up the profiles in the Helios download, so that was a positive, however I could not copy across the instruments from there to my version as I saw on one of the videos. No matter what I tried it would not let me paste the bits into my setup.

I went back to searching and found this video

where the guy goes through the bindings. Well, a quick look showed that the profiles in Helios had no bindings allocated, and of course my test profile certainly didn't. The video is from 2012, so maybe it refers to an older more manual version and now it should be automatic, but it wasn't happening, and strangely none of the other videos and guides I saw and read went through the process of the bindings. I followed his instructions (as far as I could, I have no idea what a lot of the bindings mean or if I have correctly allocated them) saved the profile on a USB stick, loaded it up on my rig and away she went.

So I am confused as to the lack of the information on how to allocate the bindings, as mentioned maybe they are supposed to be automatically set when selecting the instruments, but moreover I am confused by the fact that it wasn't mentioned anywhere - Capt Zeen's video certainly didn't, he just downloaded a profile and away it went.

Anyway, I will now search the net for a comprehensive description of the bindings

Cheers

Les

Well, so far a search of the internet doesn't show up any 'how to's' for the bindings that help you to assign them. The problem is, that it is not particularly obvious what each should be set to, with some being apparently repeated. Here's an example

HSI input assignment values

Power off Flag Changed

this flag is off when the HSI gauge has no power

Range Flag Changed

this flag indicates that the range to steer point or TACAN station is not available

Bearing Flag Changed

this flag is displayed if the aircraft is significantly off course

Distance to Beacon changed

Range in Nautical Mile to the currently selected steerpoint or TACAN station

Heading Changed

current heading displayed on the HSI

Desired Heading changed

Direction of the desired heading needle relative to current heading

Desired course changed

Direction of the desired course relative to current heading

Desired Deviation change

current offset of the deviation needle

Bearing 1 changed

direction of currently selected TACAN station or the selected UHF station relative to current heading

Bearing 2 changed

direction of currently selected steer point relative to current heading

So they are the inputs, here are the bindings you can select for them

toggle hidden

toggles whether this control is displayed on the screen

set hidden

indicates if this control is hidden and off screen

set off flag

indicates whether the off flag is displayed

set course flag

indicates whether the course flag is displayed

set DME flag

indicates whether the DME flag is displayed

set from flag

indicates whether the from flag is displayed

set distance to beacon

Miles to the beacon

set bearing 1

bearing to the beacon

set bearing 2

bearing to the beacon

set desired heading

Current desired heading

set desired course

Current desired course

set desired deviation

Current desired deviation

set heading

Current magnetic heading

So as you can see there are more bindings available that input actions. Some are relatively clear (power off one), some are a bit ambiguous or have two that are similar, and some are just plain strange - for example where is the DME flag reference in the actions?

I want to make it clear this is not a criticism, it's just that I do think that some kind of assignment mapping guide would be helpful. Capt Zeen and all the other who have produced this have done a fantastic job and they should be rightly proud of what they have produced. I just think that for us computer illiterate guys it still is a stretch to understand, so maybe a rant would be a better word!

In truth, how many people are going to want to choose to assign anything though? I want the ADI and HSI to function and display as it does in the game cockpit, so that would come with a standard set of predetermined bindings - so why can't there be at least an option for automatic standard assignment when you select that instrument?

I thought that maybe if I opened up one of the pre-existing profiles, I could could copy the bindings across, but this also does not appear to be possible, as (for me at least) the bindings do not show up on the profiles when you click on the particular instruments

At the moment the ADI and the HSI are the two I will be using, with hopefully the MFCD's being done using MonitorSetup Lua as suggested in another post. By a process of trial and error I will probably get most if not all the bits I need working, but if anyone has a correct set of input assignments for any particular instrument that they can share I would be a grateful recipient.

Cheers

Les

Edited by lesthegrngo

Hello! i just saw your post.

You can copy instruments from one profile to a new one. Only a several things need to be in consideration.

The two profiles (the original and the new one) need to have the same interface already installed, if not, all the bindings from one profiles is going to be deleted when you copied.

(in the new profile, to add a interface go to the menu: profile/add interface)

And the other important thing: you need to open two editor profiles and have the two profiles opened at the same time ( one on each editor, of course) and copy (ctr+C) from one profile and paste (ctr+V) in the other profile.

Anyway, you got a discord channel if you need a more quickly support.

Hope this help you.

Edited by Capt Zeen

Hi CZ, thanks for the input. I did try the two instances of editor open at the same time, but for some reason it didn't allow me to copy them across, not sure why.

I also thought I could simply open the profile, look at how the bindings were assigned in the existing profiles, and then manually copy that - which for the two gauges I'm using would not have been a big task at all. Strangely though, the profile does not show any bindings at all - not a single one. As a result I couldn't even do that.

Nonetheless, by just trying things I got it working 95%, all the big stuff is working, just the minor items which with time I'll try to knock off, maybe by posting pictures here.

However, if you have a profile available that shows all the bindings, even if I can't do a cut and paste, I can see how it is done and I can manually change it

Thanks again for your comments and hard work!

Cheers

Les