Afterburner flameout question

TLTeo

No it should not.

It shouldn’t flameout at high altitude if you fly fast and you should be able to re-ignite.

There are some limits for igniting the afterburner and the different AB zones but the limit that is modeled now is not correct.

http:// https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=254364

It’s never too late to give up

Edited by outbaxx

As outbaxx said: It's one of the long standing Viggen bugs waiting for a fix since forever: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220786

If you ask me it looks like it's another bug that the devs have forgotten about, which could be prevent with a community bug tracker IMHO...

At least I don't think this bug is too hard to fix, as it just looks like they forget to set reset a single boolean.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Not forgotten just down-prioritized

Edit: I have looked into it but couldn’t find what the issue was and had to divert my attention elsewhere

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

15202768b94d67d4a6a3a253d2acaac6.jpg

The problem is that it’s not modeled correctly.

Blue zone: outside envelope, above 18aoa probably.

Red zone:

AB zone3 will flameout, AB won’t ignite and re-ignite.

AB zone 1-2 don’t work

Yellow zone:

AB zone3 works but AB will not ignite/re-ignite.

AB zone 1-2 don’t work

Green zone:

AB zone 1-3 work

It’s never too late to give up

That’s not what I meant. I was referring to not being able to fix it.

Edit: I realize I was unclear.

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Found the issue I believe and fixed it. Needs to do some manual testing and then hopefully it will make it into a patch soonish... Thanks for the reports!

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Currently, if the AB flames out at high altitude, there is no way to get it to re-ignite (at least, none that I can find). Going back to lower altitudes does not seem to help. Should this be happening?

Before the last update you where able to solve this. By moving the throttle to idle and than to WOT at lower altitudes.

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

I sometimes also managed to solve this problem using this strategy.

But IRC this was long time ago, I think it even was in versions 2.5.3 or below.

Knowing about this issue when flying newer DCS versions, I stopped AB at 13500m in order to avoid it (some kind of "normal DCS Viggen procedure") :D.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

The issue was that the ignition would not start unless in a specific low RPM range. Also automatic reignition doesn’t start unless the RPM is lower than a threshold. If the turbine is still working and only the AB flame is out the ignition would almost never start. So I figured the AB might be relit just by ambient temp in the engine and sufficient fuel flow.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

The issue was that the ignition would not start unless in a specific low RPM range. Also automatic reignition doesn’t start unless the RPM is lower than a threshold. If the turbine is still working and only the AB flame is out the ignition would almost never start. So I figured the AB might be relit just by ambient temp in the engine and sufficient fuel flow.

How about solving the engine återstart/relight function?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

The AB won’t relit unless you set the throttle in MIL power first, there is no automatic relit of the afterburner.

If you are in Z2 or 3 (when it light out) there is a valve that close the fuel to the regulator so it doesn’t pump/Compressor stalls but if your in Z1 the valve won’t close and there can be a compressor stall and there is a high reduction in thrust.

The throttle need to go back to Mil power before a new ignition will work.

Edited by outbaxx

So I figured the AB might be relit just by ambient temp in the engine and sufficient fuel flow.

I don't know for sure how the RM8 (JT8D-1) afterburner works, but just going from a "general concept" perspective, there should be an independent afterburner igniter which ignites the afterburner fuel spray.

Here is the relevant unit for the J79

I wouldn't be surprised to learn there is one in the RM8.:book:

Edited by randomTOTEN
embed doesn't work

• 1 month later...
So not quite right yet then but it works for now hehe

RagnarDa, quick question: is this patch already implemented?

Today I was flying, turned off the AB at approx 14000 m, went for 20000 m in mil thrust, came back and the AB was not igniting anymore at 4000 m.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

RagnarDa, quick question: is this patch already implemented?

Today I was flying, turned off the AB at approx 14000 m, went for 20000 m in mil thrust, came back and the AB was not igniting anymore at 4000 m.

It should be in, I had it work a few days ago.

Viggen is love. Viggen is life.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7-10700K @ 5GHz | RTX 2070 OC | 32GB 3200MHz RAM |