Take-off weight with all fuel tanks filled

Arink429

Hi.

Is 10,582 lbs. of weight an absolute restriction for take-off? Just wondering if the P-51D is allowed to take-off with all the 3 internal fuel tanks filled + 2 droppable tanks. According the ME the ATOW in this condition is nearly 11,000 lbs. and the max. allowed is 10,582 lbs. so it would be 500 lbs. heavier. Is there any exception for this special configuration, or it would be necessary to unload fuel on fuselage tank until reach 10,582 lbs? (dial at 70-73% of internal fuel)

Thanks.

Antonio.

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

Hi.

Is 10,582 lbs. of weight an absolute restriction for take-off? Just wondering if the P-51D is allowed to take-off with all the 3 internal fuel tanks filled + 2 droppable tanks. According the ME the ATOW in this condition is nearly 11,000 lbs. and the max. allowed is 10,582 lbs. so it would be 500 lbs. heavier. Is there any exception for this special configuration, or it would be necessary to unload fuel on fuselage tank until reach 10,582 lbs? (dial at 70-73% of internal fuel)

Thanks.

Antonio.

You can take off fully fueled with external without problem in DCS. Just make a normal flap take off. You do not need more than 20°. It would probably also go without any flaps, but as soon as the fuselage tank is full i put in a bit of flaps to leave ground sooner

if you meant in RL I have no Idea

Edited by whaaw

SFMBE

Hi.

Thanks.

Antonio.

I think it was allowed to take off with wings tanks + left/right fuel tanks full and 80% fuselage tank filled.

Max take off weight is not absolute number, plane can take off with weight greater then this, every limit set for any plane car ship or what ever has something like safety margin calculated.

so p-51 can take off at 12k lbs but it would require long runway undercarriage can be damaged or wear faster so it can lead to fatal fail later during landing or take off because maintenance schedule is calculated for rated take off weights.

I think even exactly same plane flying in different air forces could have different weight restrictions.

Edited by grafspee

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

• ED Team

Full weight TO is allowed with flaps 20 and from three points, as far as I remember.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

I just tested p-51 at 12k weight. It is difrent plane, i used almost all runway to take off,it is not even close to p-51 with this load out. It is flying but i think it would have problems with keeping up with b-17 in turn :P

Oh you can exit spin/stalls but you need a lot more height for it.

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor