Ping Ping Ping

Pinefang

Took a break from flying for a few months and moved from a large city to a very rural country town if that makes any difference. When I returned I found that a lot of the servers said my Ping is too high. I never had that issue ever in the past. Does any one know what I can do to resolve this issue. I don't even know what causes high Ping.:helpsmilie:Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pinefang
misspelled a word, corrected, added more information

Your new internet connection is slower. High ping means it takes longer back and forth communication between your PC and the server. Check your internet speed and ping at speedtest.net

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

The IP log in requires a password, checked the briefing and found no password for IP login. Of course the refresh didn't help at all.

If the server has no password you don´t have to put one in. Just leave it blank and connect.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]my rig specs: i7-4790K CPU 4.50GHz, 32GB RAM, 64bit WIN10, NVidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti, SSD+

A10C, UH-1H, M2C, F5E, Gazelle, KA 50, F18C, DCS 2.5x OB

Took a break from flying for a few months and moved from a large city to a very rural country town if that makes any difference. When I returned I found that a lot of the servers said my Ping is too high. I never had that issue ever in the past. Does any one know what I can do to resolve this issue. I don't even know what causes high Ping.:helpsmilie:Thanks in advance.

ED changed how the server browser works and the result is that a lot of server pings will be displayed much higher as they actually are, because they're all reporting back to you at the same time, which leads to high pings as they are all taking bandwith away from each other when they're trying to respond to your machine at the same time in the server browser. The solution is indeed to do a refresh (or a couple of refreshs) untill the server you want to join manages to report back with a good timing. Then you can join. Because of this behaviour of the server browser, the pings listed there don't represent the actual server latency.

Alternatively you can just connect by IP, if you have the servers IP.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

Hi,

Just note that some servers do have a ping limit and will kick any user that has a ping that is to high.

This is to try and prevent dsync and lag for other users.

Try to play on servers with the lowest ping for your location it may help.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi,

Just note that some servers do have a ping limit and will kick any user that has a ping that is to high.

This is to try and prevent dsync and lag for other users.

Try to play on servers with the lowest ping for your location it may help.

thanks

Yeah, but the problem is, that the server browser will determine much higher pings for the listed servers than they actually are once you have joined one of them. So for example: I regularly get pings above 300 for the Buddyspike servers, which will make them appear red and prohibit me to join them. Sometimes a server appears later than other servers and when that happens it will report back with a MUCH smaller ping (about 30 for me). That indicates that there is an issue with simultaneously pinged servers, and servers that are trailing behind will show up with a much better ping as they don't have to fight with other servers for the bandwith. So I have to click on refresh a couple of times in order to get a low ping for the server I want to join. Once I'm on the server I have a ping of about 30, which is my actual ping to the Buddyspike servers, not the 300+ that they are getting listed with in the server browser.

Or in short: The server browser is behaving pretty strange when determining the pings of the listed servers.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I haven't noticed this yet, although the recent changes made many more servers appear on the browser list for me, which was a problem for all this year and more. But before that change, having a ping over 300 for a server was almost impossible for me, even to the other side of the world. So I'd question the OP as to his connection, WiFi will add 50 - 150 ping even when sat right next to the modem.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Yeah, but the problem is, that the server browser will determine much higher pings for the listed servers than they actually are once you have joined one of them. So for example: I regularly get pings above 300 for the Buddyspike servers, which will make them appear red and prohibit me to join them. Sometimes a server appears later than other servers and when that happens it will report back with a MUCH smaller ping (about 30 for me). That indicates that there is an issue with simultaneously pinged servers, and servers that are trailing behind will show up with a much better ping as they don't have to fight with other servers for the bandwith. So I have to click on refresh a couple of times in order to get a low ping for the server I want to join. Once I'm on the server I have a ping of about 30, which is my actual ping to the Buddyspike servers, not the 300+ that they are getting listed with in the server browser.

Or in short: The server browser is behaving pretty strange when determining the pings of the listed servers.

That doesn't necessarily mean that the server browser is at fault. If you were to open a command prompt on your PC a s run 'ping google.com -t' does your latency seem stable or does it bounce around, spiking up high and then back down?

That doesn't necessarily mean that the server browser is at fault. If you were to open a command prompt on your PC a s run 'ping google.com -t' does your latency seem stable or does it bounce around, spiking up high and then back down?

We do encounter these issues in my wing as well.

Server browser will show our server ping in the range of 150 - 300 but once we all join the highest ping client is at less than 80ms.

There's definitively a problem with the server browser page and said problem doesn't seem to affect everyone.

Probably different world locations will have or not have such issue due to different internet routing, that's my guess.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Simming since 2005

My Rig: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD Ryzen7 2700X, G.Skill RipJaws 32GB DDR4-3200, EVGA RTX 2070 Super Black Gaming, Corsair HX850

My latency is very stable when pinging google, as well when connected to a DCS server or playing any other MP game. It's just the DCS server browser that comes back with unrealistic high latencys for the servers that appear immediately when querying the master server. Servers that appear moments later will respond with a more realistic latency. And it's not server dependent. Like I said: When I want to play on one of the buddyspike servers and it reports back with a ping of 300+ ms, I'll just have to do one or more refreshs untill it reports back with a lower latency (which can then be as low as 30 ms). Again, this happens when the server appears a few moments later than the bulk of the servers. The majority of the servers appears initially after querrying the master server (either through a refresh or initially by entering the server browser from the main menu) and has unrealistic high pings, while the servers that are trailing behind and appear moments after the initial bulk will have realistic pings.

This problem only exists in the server browser though. Once I'm connected to the server my latency is absolutly fine (~30ms in case of the buddyspike servers), which is why I haven't bothered making my own thread about this.

We do encounter these issues in my wing as well.

Server browser will show our server ping in the range of 150 - 300 but once we all join the highest ping client is at less than 80ms.

That's exactly what I'm observing on my side as well, although I'm a bit suprised that it doesn't affect everyone, meaning the problem is a bit more nuanced than I thought.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 3 months later...

Have you tried using a VPN?

When I turn my VPN on, the pings on the master server drop to normal levels. I'm not sure why... for example, TAW has 4 servers on the same physical server in Canada. From the main multiplayer server list, i'll see 3 of them at about 50 ms, and on the 4th, i'll be at 500+ ms. Makes no sense to me... but when i turn on the VPN, they're all the same.

You can also just connect directly to the IP and the ping will normalize.

tl;dr the ping list on the master server list doesn't always sync with your ping to the actual MP server.