Cold War 1947 - 1991

Alpenwolf

3 hours ago, Khangirey said:

For the mission " Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed"

Can we add more F5 Slots? The server isn't even close to full, but I can't even fly because there are only 8 F5 slots from Kutaisi. 

Then go ahead and capture Senaki/Kobuleti/Sukhumi/Gudauta to give you additional slots for all aircraft except for the F-14A. I mean that's the objective after all anyway. Players tend to make an airquake scenery out of every mission there is because that's your average player. On the other hand, I try my best to curb that a bit by limiting aircraft and weapons plus implementing some restrictions wherever I can. It's already tough for helicopters and strikers to do their job. Adding more F-5's (which would mean more MiG's) would make things even worse, I'm afraid.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Played for around 4 to 5 hours on the "Battle Over Sukhumi" mission last night.

Provided GCI, tried to organize our air, but to little success... overall, red had air dominance over Sukhumi, but we were holding on to the base with ground units.

Me and a couple of other people such as Fab and Count (as well as other helicopter pilots, which were crucial for our survival), were able to hold off Red from capturing Sukhumi. We used ground assets to disrupt their attempts of capturing the base.

There was one guy, who joined a CA slot and started moving everything around, without communicating first in anyway. I've been playing at least for an hour or two by that point and had units positioned in specific locations for a reason. When I asked him, why is he moving the units... his answer was "because I want to play". I have him recorded, if you are interested in his name Alpen. 

It is a multiplayer mission. There are objectives, people are trying to hold the line, barely succeeding. Joining the server and randomly moving units around to your pleasure, fucking up tactical plays and loosing units is just not cool... If you "want to play" and don't wanna coordinate, go make yourself a mission to play in singleplayer and you won't have people asking you why are you doing this and that.

Don't get me wrong, having multiple people coordinating ground assets is the way to go. It is just the way to go and I would like to thank Count for assisting me later on in the mission. There is only so much one person can do.

If you join mid game and want to help, ask in the chat what is needed, how can you help, contact people on SRS and work together. Don't just grab ground units and drive off, or take the first aircraft slot and fly off solo to your death somewhere on the other side of the map. 

There are so little objective and team-play orientated people in DCS MP.....

Edited by Shadow KT
  • Like 3

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

44 minutes ago, Shadow KT said:

Probably played for around 4 to 5 hours of the "Battle of Sukhumi" last night.

Provided GCI, tried to organize our air, but to little success... overall, red had air dominance over Sukhumi, although we were holding Sukhumi. 

Me and a couple of other people such as Fab and Count (as well as other helicopter pilots, which were crucial for our survival), were able to hold off Red from the ground (both as in, we were on the ground and keeping them off the ground).

There was one guy, who joined the CA slots and started moving everything around, without communication in anyway, while everything was positioned in a specific spot with a reason. When questioned about it... his answer was "because I want to play". I have him recorded, if you are interested in his name Alpen. 

Honestly, it is a MP mission, there are objectives, people are trying to hold the line, barely succeeding and just coming in and starting to fuck with everything and loosing units is just not cool... If you "want to play" and don't wanna coordinate, go to SP, make your own mission and do it there. Having help on the ground (which later Count helped out with and I am thankful for), contact the people who are already on the server, ask what is needed, how you can help... don't just grab shit and drive off. This is valid for people flying too. 

And this is the problem we've been facing since day 1 and always will. You can't force players into teamwork. Not in DCS or any other game (some games are worse/better than others for sure). If I had been online and caught that guy I would've kicked him out instantly. But I can't be there 24/7.

You can share his name if you have some evidence, please. Screenshots of the teamchat or the like should be enough.

• Like 2

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

A little montage from last night's "Battle Over Sukhumi" mission. By a little montage, I really mean it... played for 4 to 5 hours, so this is a very small portion of the whole action:

• Like 1

'Shadow'

5 hours ago, Shadow KT said:

A little montage from last night's "Battle Over Sukhumi" mission. By a little montage, I really mean it... played for 4 to 5 hours, so this is a very small portion of the whole action:

You gotta be kidding me swimming back to shore like that 🙂

Bloody glitching in this game. Boy, they've got a lot to fix...

Wait for the Mi-24P which should withstand those 12,7 mm shots.

Nice video!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

10 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

You gotta be kidding me swimming back to shore like that 🙂

Bloody glitching in this game. Boy, they've got a lot to fix...

Wait for the Mi-24P which should withstand those 12,7 mm shots.

Nice video!

Heh... actually funny story that one. So, as seen in the video, as it hit the water it got me out of the vehicle and I thought to myself that it is dead. Next thing I see, it is still on the F10 map and I jumped back in. Ordered the "Autopilot" to swim to shore. As soon as it touched the sand, it got me into a F11 free camera over the jeep, as it just died and back to the F10 map. I again, see the unit on the map, but this time when I click on it, it says, that I cannot enter this vehicle, because it is dead... 1 second later, it disappears from the map for me.

But wait, there is more... a plot twist. The vehicle is actually alive and only I could not see it... Count was still able to see it on the map and operate it. I later reconnected and could see it myself as well.

I won't call this a bug, but a compensation from the game, for the 50+ stingers which were fired in that mission and all missed for no reason. Missile flies to a hovering helicopter or a plane flying in a straight line and last moment it just does a 90 degree turn. Really frustrating. 

Talking about this: 

At one point conker was in a turn fight with a huey. I fired 5 stingers at him, he was almost stationary in the air, no flares. Guess how many actually hit. Only one and from watching his stream it seemed like it did 0 damage.

This happened with airplanes as well. That Mi-8 you saw me gun on the beach... I was chasing it beforehand and shot a stinger at it, side shot, no flares... missed. 

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

30 minutes ago, Shadow KT said:

Heh... actually funny story that one. So, as seen in the video, as it hit the water it got me out of the vehicle and I thought myself that it is dead. Next thing I see, it is still on the F10 map and jumped back in. Ordered the "Autopilot" to swim to shore. As soon as it touched the sand, it got me into a F11 free camera over the jeep, as it just died and back to the F10 map. I again, see the unit on the map, but this time when I click on it, it says, that I cannot enter this vehicle, because it is dead... 1 second later, it disappears from the map for me.

But wait, there is more... a plot twist. The vehicle is actually alive and only I could not see it... Count was still able to see it on the map and operate it. I later reconnected and could see it myself as well.

I won't call this a bug, but a compensation from the game, for the 50+ stingers which were fired in that mission and all missed for no reason. Missile flies to a hovering helicopter or a plane flying in a straight line and last moment it just does a 90 degree turn. Really frustrating. 

Talking about this: 

At one point conker was in a turn fight with a huey. I fired 5 stingers at him, he was almost stationary in the air, no flares. Guess how many actually hit. Only one and from watching his stream it seemed like it did 0 damage.

This happened with airplanes as well. That Mi-8 you saw me gun on the beach... I was chasing it beforehand and shot a stinger at it, side shot, no flares... missed. 

The MANAPAD's thing is a known issue. It was reported long time ago. They do exactly what you said: At the last second they just suddenly change direction. No idea when that will be fixed.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Server News:

* Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed:

- F-14A's operational at mission's start - Fixed.

* Operation Phone Booth:

... will go online during the upcoming week.

* Operation Sneaky Bastards:

- Might move it completely to a daytime mission rather than a night mission. The problem is that Blue ground units would be way too exposed so I'll see what I can do in terms of changing their locations and/or the type of units. But then it can't be called Sneaky Bastards any more when the cover of darkness is no more, can it? 😉

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

On 3/5/2021 at 6:11 PM, Alpenwolf said:

Then go ahead and capture Senaki/Kobuleti/Sukhumi/Gudauta to give you additional slots for all aircraft except for the F-14A. I mean that's the objective after all anyway. Players tend to make an airquake scenery out of every mission there is because that's your average player. On the other hand, I try my best to curb that a bit by limiting aircraft and weapons plus implementing some restrictions wherever I can. It's already tough for helicopters and strikers to do their job. Adding more F-5's (which would mean more MiG's) would make things even worse, I'm afraid.

My biggest gripe was that I couldn't play at all. I joined the server and sat for 30 minutes with my thumb you know where because all the slots were taken, and the airfields that had open slots I got a message from the server telling me I couldn't select those. Once a slot finally opened in Kutaitsi, it turned out the whole blufor team was leaving because there were no F5s available anywhere, yet the mission was still ongoing. 

1 hour ago, Khangirey said:

My biggest gripe was that I couldn't play at all. I joined the server and sat for 30 minutes with my thumb you know where because all the slots were taken, and the airfields that had open slots I got a message from the server telling me I couldn't select those. Once a slot finally opened in Kutaitsi, it turned out the whole blufor team was leaving because there were no F5s available anywhere, yet the mission was still ongoing. 

My (expensive) solution to this is having multiple modules, so if planes are taken I can fly heli or be commander for some time 🙂

Aside of being good teamplayer it also makes you refresh your other modules so you dont lose knowledge how to fly them 😄

Edited by The_Tau
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Khangirey said:

But that's never an argument for me to add more slots. I'm not after having a server with the most attendance or the like. Trust me, mate, I COULD do that if I wanted to by adding lots of features and allowing lots of things among some tuning here and there, etc. I'd rather keep it compact a bit while trying to have dedicated players to the tasking at hand. It's not like the server is always that full with all slots are taken.

Just now, The_Tau said:

My (expensive) solution to this is having multiple modules, so if planes are taken I can fly heli or be commander for some time 🙂

Aside of being good teamplayer it also makes you refresh your other modules so you dont lose knowledge how to fly them 😄

Exactly this!

EDIT:

This way you add to your own experience of the game.

Edited by Alpenwolf
  • Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Was returning to Sukhumi after what I thought was going to be my last sortie. As @rossmum remembered I said I had been downed by a mistral gazelle hanging around our field--only to check the tacview to find this : https://gyazo.com/ddd159ae1e3c6707227752229c2af7fd watch out for this fellow reds! Mans fired 3 R3s and one R60 hitting me on the final one only to fly past and flare. Guessing blue pilot who added to my 144 air kills. SUS! Name is: whizzz

Edited by Zachrix

On 3/6/2021 at 9:33 PM, Shadow KT said:

Played for around 4 to 5 hours on the "Battle Over Sukhumi" mission last night.

Provided GCI, tried to organize our air, but to little success... overall, red had air dominance over Sukhumi, but we were holding on to the base with ground units.

Me and a couple of other people such as Fab and Count (as well as other helicopter pilots, which were crucial for our survival), were able to hold off Red from capturing Sukhumi. We used ground assets to disrupt their attempts of capturing the base.

There was one guy, who joined a CA slot and started moving everything around, without communicating first in anyway. I've been playing at least for an hour or two by that point and had units positioned in specific locations for a reason. When I asked him, why is he moving the units... his answer was "because I want to play". I have him recorded, if you are interested in his name Alpen. 

It is a multiplayer mission. There are objectives, people are trying to hold the line, barely succeeding. Joining the server and randomly moving units around to your pleasure, fucking up tactical plays and loosing units is just not cool... If you "want to play" and don't wanna coordinate, go make yourself a mission to play in singleplayer and you won't have people asking you why are you doing this and that.

Don't get me wrong, having multiple people coordinating ground assets is the way to go. It is just the way to go and I would like to thank Count for assisting me later on in the mission. There is only so much one person can do.

If you join mid game and want to help, ask in the chat what is needed, how can you help, contact people on SRS and work together. Don't just grab ground units and drive off, or take the first aircraft slot and fly off solo to your death somewhere on the other side of the map. 

We had the same problem on red (again) - someone neither on SRS nor reading/responding to chat, moving units around. This would normally be an annoyance, but he repeatedly moved our air defence away from airfields, and at one point we lost Sukhumi for a good 15 or so minutes because every single unit was moved off of it so it flipped to neutral. Between this happening during crowded sessions, and the now repeated incidents where players not on comms take control of air defence and begin teamkilling with it, I'm honestly starting to wish we had a whitelist for CA slots. It's getting ridiculous. I don't have the guy's name but I know some of the other guys likely do, especially our long-suffering tac commander who had to clean up this mess all while trying to GCI as well.

Regarding lives - twice now I've joined to find blue outnumbered near 2:1 because they've somehow run themselves out of F-5s with hours left to run in the mission. Maybe I'm barking up an impossible tree here - I couldn't script my way out of a paper bag - but maybe adjusting the airframe limits to be much lower, but replenished on a timer, might help prevent this. It kills the server when it happens and it causes a lot of general headaches, both for people connecting to find no modules they own are flyable, and for people who have to explain the limits every time to stop people screwing around or disconnecting midair. Maybe 20 21s/F-5s total per team, replenishing every 2-3 hours - I feel like that would be a huge improvement to the longer missions in particular, so one side doesn't get run out of planes right away while the other then fails to complete the objectives to finish the mission, deadlocking the server. 29s/14s could stick to existing limits with no replenishment, maybe.

Also: a clarification on the rules might be in order ingame. I had a pair of ACG guys flip out, call me all sorts of things, then disconnect without waiting for a reponse because I strafed them on a frontline airfield in Battle for Sukhumi, because they were taking so long to get off the ground we decided to go look for things to shoot up. I know it says "main airfields" in the rules, but I suspect some people interpret that to mean "any airfields" and think it's some kind of muh e-honour anti-vulch rule or something.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Zachrix said:

Was returning to Sukhumi after what I thought was going to be my last sortie. As @rossmum remembered I said I had been downed by a mistral gazelle hanging around our field--only to check the tacview to find this : https://gyazo.com/ddd159ae1e3c6707227752229c2af7fd watch out for this fellow reds! Mans fired 3 R3s and one R60 hitting me on the final one only to fly past and flare. Guessing blue pilot who added to my 144 air kills. SUS! Name is: whizzz

Thanks for reporting.

He'll be gone once I get my hands on him!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

10 hours ago, Zachrix said:

Well, as seen in the TacView... you are clearly a traitor to the motherland and deserver to be shot down. As soon as you eject, your true colors are exposed.... BLUE !

'Shadow'

1 hour ago, rossmum said:

We had the same problem on red (again) - someone neither on SRS nor reading/responding to chat, moving units around. This would normally be an annoyance, but he repeatedly moved our air defence away from airfields, and at one point we lost Sukhumi for a good 15 or so minutes because every single unit was moved off of it so it flipped to neutral. Between this happening during crowded sessions, and the now repeated incidents where players not on comms take control of air defence and begin teamkilling with it, I'm honestly starting to wish we had a whitelist for CA slots. It's getting ridiculous. I don't have the guy's name but I know some of the other guys likely do, especially our long-suffering tac commander who had to clean up this mess all while trying to GCI as well.

Regarding lives - twice now I've joined to find blue outnumbered near 2:1 because they've somehow run themselves out of F-5s with hours left to run in the mission. Maybe I'm barking up an impossible tree here - I couldn't script my way out of a paper bag - but maybe adjusting the airframe limits to be much lower, but replenished on a timer, might help prevent this. It kills the server when it happens and it causes a lot of general headaches, both for people connecting to find no modules they own are flyable, and for people who have to explain the limits every time to stop people screwing around or disconnecting midair. Maybe 20 21s/F-5s total per team, replenishing every 2-3 hours - I feel like that would be a huge improvement to the longer missions in particular, so one side doesn't get run out of planes right away while the other then fails to complete the objectives to finish the mission, deadlocking the server. 29s/14s could stick to existing limits with no replenishment, maybe.

Also: a clarification on the rules might be in order ingame. I had a pair of ACG guys flip out, call me all sorts of things, then disconnect without waiting for a reponse because I strafed them on a frontline airfield in Battle for Sukhumi, because they were taking so long to get off the ground we decided to go look for things to shoot up. I know it says "main airfields" in the rules, but I suspect some people interpret that to mean "any airfields" and think it's some kind of muh e-honour anti-vulch rule or something.

I tried the thing with a list of dedicated GCI operators. Weeks into doing that some of those who were on the list simply disappeared. Either trying out modern jets, other servers or maybe completely other games, who knows. So the list was growing thin and I had to start from scratch more or less. It's a workload of "casting" GCI operators that doesn't really fruit knowing that most players come on and go anyway.

Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed was changes a bit, just like other missions, to allow limiting the number of aircraft. After running the mission twice now at full attendance it shows that I should and could increase the number of the available aircraft; mainly the MiG-21's and the F-5's. No big deal. Done actually so next time it should better. Will it suffice though? We'll see...

Once a warehouse is depleted of weapons or aircraft you can't just write a script which would refill it. I asked Ciribob about it because he's got a script where transporting fuel is possible and even he couldn't solve the riddle. And he's the scripting master as you know. So all these ideas with limiting things here and there are not the problem and I've had them on my mind ever since I started designing missions. The fancy idea is something, transferring that into a script is something else. I know where the limits are in the ME and in the .lua scripts so I try to work with that. Not to fail to mention my own scripting limitations.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

2 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

I tried the thing with a list of dedicated GCI operators. Weeks into doing that some of those who were on the list simply disappeared. Either trying out modern jets, other servers or maybe completely other games, who knows. So the list was growing thin and I had to start from scratch more or less. It's a workload of "casting" GCI operators that doesn't really fruit knowing that most players come on and go anyway.

Operation Battle Over Sukhumi Unleashed was changes a bit, just like other missions, to allow limiting the number of aircraft. After running the mission twice now at full attendance it shows that I should and could increase the number of the available aircraft; mainly the MiG-21's and the F-5's. No big deal. Done actually so next time it should better. Will it suffice though? We'll see...

Once a warehouse is depleted of weapons or aircraft you can't just write a script which would refill it. I asked Ciribob about it because he's got a script where transporting fuel is possible and even he couldn't solve the riddle. And he's the scripting master as you know. So all these ideas with limiting things here and there are not the problem and I've had them on my mind ever since I started designing missions. The fancy idea is something, transferring that into a script is something else. I know where the limits are in the ME and in the .lua scripts so I try to work with that. Not to fail to mention my own scripting limitations.

From my experience flying on the mission, more aircraft is not the solution... the air quake will just intensify, while already being strong.

There is a way to use the warehouse system to supply a base when it hits a certain amount of percent stock and you can decide on the time it takes for the supply to get there. You can use other airfields, or a hidden bunker somewhere, which is loaded with supplies and labeled as a supplier for the airfield. I've not personally used that feature, so I don't know how well it works if at all. But less jets, with periodic supplies could be a solution I guess.

Would be nice to have some sort of an objective so that happens, but I cannot think of how that would work, as of right now.

• Like 1

'Shadow'

I think airfield rearmament is THE asked feature for ME. For years. People would love model supply convoys or cargo planes. And it still doesnt work.

You cant late activate a bunker or resupply it. It would be available from  start, all you can do is destroy it, destroying supplies in it. 

So Alphen did what was the only option. If objective is met then whole airfield  gets "activated", but obviously this solution is limited by airfield number

Edited by The_Tau

2 hours ago, Shadow KT said:

From my experience flying on the mission, more aircraft is not the solution... the air quake will just intensify, while already being strong.

I come to the cold war server for good dogfights and pvp, let's not take away the fun of the server.  Limiting slots and making less lives will turn this into a pve server.

-Tricker

Edited by F16wannabe

On 3/6/2021 at 6:49 PM, Shadow KT said:

4:00 That's got to be the best pirate I've ever seen...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Shadow KT said:

Would be nice to have some sort of an objective so that happens, but I cannot think of how that would work, as of right now.

This.

Again, and this is not reprimanding anyone, but throwing ideas really doesn't help me. I have them too. So if anyone is able to come up with a script where we can start transporting supplies then by all means. I'd be the first to welcome that. So I HAVE TO WORK WITH WHAT I HAVE.

Things in the ME are mainly either do or don't do. Enable or disable. The advanced options are OK but don't offer you such a variety to make things more dynamic. Besides, those options apply to units only, not warehouses or even static objects. I like the ME tool but it's way too limited for what I think the best aircraft simulator out there. The ME MUST keep up but it's not. so we're left with scripts and mods and this and that. And even those don't work all the time so there you go, folks.

Edited by Alpenwolf

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

57 minutes ago, F16wannabe said:

I come to the cold war server for good dogfights and pvp, let's not take away the fun of the server.  Limiting slots and making less lives will turn this into a pve server.

-Tricker

I don't see how that is taking away from fun or dogfights, or how that would turn the sever into PvE

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Server News:

* Operation Catch Me If You Can is offline.

* Instead, operation Phone Booth is back online with some changes:

- All aircraft are limited in numbers. Weapons anyway.

- The briefing was rewritten to include more details.

- Su-25T's removed.

- AV-8B's remain in small numbers.

- CTLD crates changed. Tanks are not to be deployed any more. No infantries either.

- Less focus on Combined Arms. Most units are AI controlled, however, through the JTAC slots you can drive deployed ground units.

- Soft targets mostly, so Mi-8's, UH-1's and SA342L's might want to test their strafing skills if they choose to!

- EWR's instead of AWACS. More EWR's can be deployed.

- The mission runs for 5 hours instead of 4.

- Spring, warm and less winds, instead of winter and snow.

- Minor changes regarding some flags and triggers.

- Optimised AI ground units' waypoints and their advanced options.

* Operation Sneaky Bastards is next in line for some reworking and optimisation.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Is there a chance we can stop the limiting of some missiles, with the low numbers available there have been people who are new or dont know what they are doing taking them and wasting them. same with the ka-50 and the ground attack missiles.