Need VR with Manual IPD Adj Only

Fakum

Jumped onto the VR scene with Oculus Rift-S, struggled with Clarity,,, figured out it was due to my IPD of about 70-72. Software Adj really didnt cut it. Any who, what are my next step options for a headset that has manual IPD adj? Preferably one that does not need the towers because my work space is very tight. I also realize that whatever the next best option would be will be more $, that is a consideration as well. Thanks,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

How about the Odyssey ? Inside-out tracking , ipd adjustment and inexpensive .

(And for DCS , the Index needs only 1 "tower")

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Hmmm,,,,let me look into those, thanks

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

If I were in that situation I would go with Index if pricing is not a deterrent.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

unless I am looking for the wrong product, I dont see a "Valve Index" at any typical retailers,, I seen a couple on Ebay for like$1,400.00? Is that right? If so,,, thats a tad to much $

I have to take he Rift S back to Bestbuy tomorrow, and they have the Odyssey+ there, and it is $100 cheaper! Well,,, onto the next one for that price.

The Index is typically ordered direct from Steam . Headset and one base station is $650 . The full kit is $1000 . Ebay is getting notorious for scalpers . Buyer beware !

You may be quite happy with the Odyssey tho . Be aware that most add an aftermarket headstrap and VR cover for increased comfort .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

I’m the opposite of you with an IPD of 58. The Index is my only option. For DCS you do not need controllers but I do recommend 2 base stations. You can get away with 1 but may lose tracking when checking 6. For Index and 2 base stations it’s $800 unfortunately.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

@ Svsmokey: So the Index is typically ordered from Steam,,, so does that mean you need to run a Steam Application to run it? Thanks for the other tips by the way also.

@Wicked: Thanks for the feedback on the Bases, interesting! I can see that there might be an issue with the use of only one now that you mention it.

@ Svsmokey: So the Index is typically ordered from Steam,,, so does that mean you need to run a Steam Application to run it? Thanks for the other tips by the way also.

@Wicked: Thanks for the feedback on the Bases, interesting! I can see that there might be an issue with the use of only one now that you mention it.

Yes , it runs Steam Vr . You will also need Steam VR and WMR for the Odyssey .

Oh brother, didnt know that

Jumped onto the VR scene with Oculus Rift-S, struggled with Clarity,,, figured out it was due to my IPD of about 70-72. Software Adj really didnt cut it. Any who, what are my next step options for a headset that has manual IPD adj? Preferably one that does not need the towers because my work space is very tight. I also realize that whatever the next best option would be will be more $, that is a consideration as well. Thanks,

I had to return my Oculus Rift-S for the same reason.

Oh brother, didnt know that

No biggie , lotsa help on these forums with settings , and the end result will be worth it :)

My experience with Steam in the past was that it was a resource hog. Its probably been well over 10 years since I stopped using it.

My experience with Steam in the past was that it was a resource hog. Its probably been well over 10 years since I stopped using it.

It still is - at least Steam VR is.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I think there is the possibility to let make special lenses that will correct the IPD for headsets with fixed one.

I've seen on VR Optician that you can specify your IPD.

This is available for the Rift S but not for the index which I translate to the fact they correct the pupil distance for each eye.

Nevertheless, it's not cheap.

https://vroptician.com/prescription-lens-inserts/oculus-rift-s/

Need VR with Manual IPD Adj Only

Steam averages 47 million active users per day these days. They’re also pretty good with regular updates. Frankly I don’t get all the hate but whatever. You’ll either need Oculus software or SteamVR to play most VR games no matter what headset you own.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

Steam averages 47 million active users per day these days. They’re also pretty good with regular updates. Frankly I don’t get all the hate but whatever. You’ll either need Oculus software or SteamVR to play most VR games no matter what headset you own.

Oh, Im not questioning Steams Popularity, I will actually plead ignorance! My previous experiences with Steam led my to abandon it, and with that came a performance increase in DCS. I admit, that was quite some time ago, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Fundamentally, I do my best to limit background processes. Perhaps steam has improved in that department, I dont know, but if I had a choice between running dedicated software so I could operate a VR headset and software that performs like a social media app,,, I would choose the dedicated software. Again, I am ignorant in this department, perhaps they both eat up the same or similar resources? Im just trying to get into VR without towing a Boat and Trailer behind me that has flat tires,,,,

Oh, Im not questioning Steams Popularity, I will actually plead ignorance! My previous experiences with Steam led my to abandon it, and with that came a performance increase in DCS. I admit, that was quite some time ago, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Fundamentally, I do my best to limit background processes. Perhaps steam has improved in that department, I dont know, but if I had a choice between running dedicated software so I could operate a VR headset and software that performs like a social media app,,, I would choose the dedicated software. Again, I am ignorant in this department, perhaps they both eat up the same or similar resources? Im just trying to get into VR without towing a Boat and Trailer behind me that has flat tires,,,,

My understanding is that you can run Steam VR separately , without the need to run Steam itself . Harliquin states in the Reverb forum that Steam VR and WMR combined use less resources than Oculus . I personally find this difficult to believe , but having no experience with any but Oculus , i cannot discount the possibility altogether .

My understanding is that you can run Steam VR separately , without the need to run Steam itself . Harliquin states in the Reverb forum that Steam VR and WMR combined use less resources than Oculus . I personally find this difficult to believe , but having no experience with any but Oculus , i cannot discount the possibility altogether .

You are correct, one needs Steam to download and install Steam VR. However after it is installed no problem running Steam VR without launching Steam.

In regards to performance - I was using Steam VR with my Rift S in another flight sim that did not have native Oculus support. I switched a few months ago to Open Composite instead, a third party runtime that allows one to run Oculus without using Steam VR, and my performance was certainly way better.

So for me I certainly found using Oculus + Open Composite to be a nice improvement in performance over Oculus + Steam VR.

Thankfully I only have the one game that does not have native Oculus support.

Don B

I run a Iculus Rift at the moment for the other woii sim and use prefer steamvr over open composite. The latter gives me white flashes at times and less clarity then steamvr. Further openvr does not give better performance at all.

Anyway open composite is specific for the Oculus line. Any other you need Steamvr I believe.

Without doubt Oculus has the best driver/interface for use in DCS and it is native to the sim. That said, having used both, Oculus with CV1 and SteamVR with Index, SteamVR is getting better and better. Performance has improved over the 6 or so months I've had the Index and they actually pay attention to user feedback in the beta program to the point we'll be talking about a feature here and the next day it appears in a new beta. Had Oculus kept a mechanical IPD I might still be using their gear now but then again I might not. I cannot stand the halo style mount and the S in general is a step down from the CV1 materially in my opinion. However it IS priced to reflect this so can't really complain. Plus, the S is the vehicle that will bring in many new VR users which is good for all of us.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Oh,,, ok,,, thanks for the feedback again sir! I am expecting delivery on Tuesday,,, thanks again,, very helpful indeed!

EDIT,, sorry, I was responding to dburne, and I did not see the other follow ups after that,,, thanks guys

Edited by Fakum

Clarification please. In preparation for installing Odyssey+ this week. I first need to set it up on Windows Mixed Reality on my PC. Now, do I actually still need to setup Steam VR even though I am NOT using any Steam games (My DCS is Non-Steam)? Thanks,

Clarification please. In preparation for installing Odyssey+ this week. I first need to set it up on Windows Mixed Reality on my PC. Now, do I actually still need to setup Steam VR even though I am NOT using any Steam games (My DCS is Non-Steam)? Thanks,

Yes, you do

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg