Suggestion/Request: Have Jester Call Out Energy States

Bearfoot

We are planning on implementing alt call outs around the carrier at some point (no promise so far) but speed calls was not really on the RIOs checklist, as speed during landing does not really matter. what matter is the AOA and that was pilot side, the RIO does not have an AOA indicator, if at all he glanced over the pilot's shoulder.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

In his book, Dave Baranek mentions giving his pilot speed callouts while dogfighting so he doesn't have to take his eyes off the enemy. I'd love to see that implemented so those sneaky hornets with their fancy JHMCS won't have an edge on me in energy awareness.

We are planning on implementing alt call outs around the carrier at some point (no promise so far) but speed calls was not really on the RIOs checklist, as speed during landing does not really matter. what matter is the AOA and that was pilot side, the RIO does not have an AOA indicator, if at all he glanced over the pilot's shoulder.

If you modelled the RIO's AVIA display (please), it would give him an AOA readout. Cheers.

It's be really funny to have a wheel option that's literally "shut up, Jester" and "talk to me, Jester" for when you wanted him quiet or talking. I know there is a settings option, but being able to shut him up on the fly would be nice. Also, callouts on closest targets every 10 miles, and every mile within 10 until tally visual would be nice.

DCSF-14AOK3A.jpg

DCSF14AOK3B.png

It's be really funny to have a wheel option that's literally "shut up, Jester" and "talk to me, Jester" for when you wanted him quiet or talking.

There is an option in the jester wheel under "crew contract utility" doing exactly that.

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

Makes sense, thanks.

The only reason it occurred to me is because of Bio's book, as the other poster mentioned, but that was only in the context of BFM not landing.

Makes sense, thanks.

The only reason it occurred to me is because of Bio's book, as the other poster mentioned, but that was only in the context of BFM not landing.

Yes, in bfm it makes sense ofc, since it is best if the pilot can continue looking at the bandit. It is definitely something to think about.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

There is an option in the jester wheel under "crew contract utility" doing exactly that.

Actually, I like this idea as an option separate from the crew contract utility. No so much 'shut up Jester,' which can be handled through the contract utility, but a 'Talk to me, Jester!' command that would sort of be like asking for bogey dope from the AWACS.

It could be mode dependent. If the plane is in A/A mode:

When the pilot says: 'Talk to me, Jester!', Jester could immediately reply with:

1. BRA to nearest threat / threat group.

2. Type A/C of nearest threat / threat group if known (Via ESM or what not)

3. Closure rate to nearest threat / threat group if he can calculate it

4. Own airspeed.

5. Own angels.

After that, he goes back to making his normal AI calls.

If the plane is in A/G mode:

1. Bearing / range to the nearest ground threat

2. Bearing / range to the primary target

3. Current weapon setup. (Type, number, interval)

3. Own airspeed.

4. Own angels.

If the plane is in any sort of non-combat navigation mode:

1. Bearing / range to home plate (If datalink or TACAN or some mode of guidance is switched on and Jester should reasonably have that information. To a degree, he should ALWAYS have it as the crew navigator.)

2. Ship's BRC, if he could reasonably be expected to know that.

3. Bearing /range to nearest divert.

Think variations on TOPGUN:

Iceman: "Talk to me, Jester!"

Jester: "Nearest bogey is bearing 090 for 40, speed 450, 900 knots closure! We're Angels 20, airspeed 450. Go get him, Ice!"

Note that this is a bit different than what some other people are asking for, in terms of intercept vectors if, perhaps, the two aircraft weren't driving straight at each other. A variation on Jester's reply could be:

"I've got a bogey bearing 090 for 40, heading 315, speed 450, 675 knots closure with a left bearing drift. We're Angels 20, airspeed 450. Come right heading 135 to take him down the left side, or left 045 to stay nose-on."

The last one is getting pretty complicated for Jester AI, although it's mostly math (easy for a computer processor) and recording a crapload of voiceovers to cover a veritable boatload of contingencies. The first example, a simple BRA following by own altitude and speed, is a lot simpler to implement: it shouldn't need any more logic than already exists for getting a bogey dope call from AWACS.

Edited by jmarso

4. Own airspeed.

5. Own angels.

speed 450, 900 knots closure! We're Angels 20, airspeed 450

Why would you expect Jester to call all of that info, that is easily accesible to the pilot all the time, more, he has instruments for navigation available at any time. Unless I'm in a dogfight where I might use speed info sometimes. Also either bandit speed or closure, not both. A simple BRAA would be enough in most cases with maybe intercept vector. Navigation is perfectly covered as it is.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Why would you expect Jester to call all of that info, that is easily accesible to the pilot all the time, more, he has instruments for navigation available at any time. Unless I'm in a dogfight where I might use speed info sometimes. Also either bandit speed or closure, not both. A simple BRAA would be enough in most cases with maybe intercept vector. Navigation is perfectly covered as it is.

Valid point.