Crazy mustang

HoYa

Ok, so I know it’s pilot error, I get it

I just bought the p51, to be the first DCS plane outside if FC3. Love it! I’m getting the ground attack, flight, landing and TO, pretty well. However, anytime I try to fight the 190 in in the instant action section the plane goes crazy.

Even smooth maneuvers make the nose jump up or go upside down and into a spiral. I can’t keep the 190 in my line of sight much less on his tail.

So, any advice on what in doing wrong here ????

Thanks to all who respond....

Sounds like snap rolls. You're pulling too hard. Add some curves to your stick. Short pull desktop sticks are way too touchy.

The higher the altitude the twitchier things are.

Practice flying lag pursuit, and try to be patient.

The FW190 AI is an easy kill in the Mustang, even set to excellent. It just takes some seat time to learn her limits and build muscle memory.

Good Luck!

Don't yank on the stick. It's not so chill about reefing on the stick like FC3 planes are

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Wing Load

If you are doing quick missions or you know how to use the mission editor, use less than half fuel setting or even 30 %. The P51 wing tanks are far too big and will decrease performance. You will recognize a difference in the amount of snap rolls occuring.

If you are doing quick missions or you know how to use the mission editor, use less than half fuel setting or even 30 %. The P51 wing tanks are far too big and will decrease performance. You will recognize a difference in the amount of snap rolls occuring.
+1! Defueling can give you a real noticeable performance boost

Hardware: T-50 Mongoose, VKB STECS, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: AH-64D, Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, F-16C, F-15E, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

What are you using for rudder control HoYa?

Key in a Mustang is to practise coordinated turns; you'll need to put a commensurate amount of rudder input in the same direction of the stick for ANY lateral manoeuvres. In some cases leading the aileron with the rudder by a fraction of a second get's it nicely coordinated particularly for large aileron displacements.

You'll find doing this not only increases your rate of roll but reduces your deceleration - any manoeuvre bleeds energy but by keeping coordinated you reduce the drag generated because the airframe is flying more 'cleanly' - no side slip or skid presenting a greater area of the airframe to the relative airflow.

Once stable in an aggressive turn you'll find to keep the ball centred you'll actually have some rudder with the turn but that she'll want to automatically roll into the turn with the stick neutral. In this case apply a slight correcting stick pressure to the opposite of the turn to hold your desired angle of bank.

I know, weird huh! But it's a behaviour often found in aircraft with long wings. I found it in RL gliders.

The advantages of using the rudder in this manner are:

1. Less drag

2. Decrease in apparent stall speed

3. More accurate gunnery

Getting to understand the relationship between the rudder ailerons and the effect in a high angle of bank turn will really help.

But as the gents above suggest, you have to guide and ask the Mustang through pitching manoeuvres - you don't haul the Ponies nose to your target, you set the turn rate that she's prepared to give you, coordinate and then wait patiently to drag the target into your gunsight.

If she does start to break on you then stick sharply forward for a snap second with a simultaneous rescuing kick of top rudder can at least arrest the incipient spin and prevent the loss of a couple of thousand feet of altitude but you'll have bled a lot of speed in the process and your best bet is to unload the plane, pick up some speed and reset the fight.

Edited by DD_Fenrir

What are you using for rudder control HoYa?

Key in a Mustang is to practise coordinated turns; you'll need to put a commensurate amount of rudder input in the same direction of the stick for ANY lateral manoeuvres. In some cases leading the aileron with the rudder by a fraction of a second get's it nicely coordinated particularly for large aileron displacements.

You'll find doing this not only increases your rate of roll but reduces your deceleration - any manoeuvre bleeds energy but by keeping coordinated you reduce the drag generated because the airframe is flying more 'cleanly' - no side slip or skid presenting a greater area of the airframe to the relative airflow.

Once stable in an aggressive turn you'll find to keep the ball centred you'll actually have some rudder with the turn but that she'll want to automatically roll into the turn with the stick neutral. In this case apply a slight correcting stick pressure to the opposite of the turn to hold your desired angle of bank.

I know, weird huh! But it's a behaviour often found in aircraft with long wings. I found it in RL gliders.

The advantages of using the rudder in this manner are:

1. Less drag

2. Decrease in apparent stall speed

3. More accurate gunnery

Getting to understand the relationship between the rudder ailerons and the effect in a high angle of bank turn will really help.

But as the gents above suggest, you have to guide and ask the Mustang through pitching manoeuvres - you don't haul the Ponies nose to your target, you set the turn rate that she's prepared to give you, coordinate and then wait patiently to drag the target into your gunsight.

If she does start to break on you then stick sharply forward for a snap second with a simultaneous rescuing kick of top rudder can at least arrest the incipient spin and prevent the loss of a couple of thousand feet of altitude but you'll have bled a lot of speed in the process and your best bet is to unload the plane, pick up some speed and reset the fight.

in short its just impossible to fly w/o rudder pedals in warbirds in tough combat

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

Think of it as surfing smoothly through the sky, keeping your speed up. try to predict where the enemy will be in the future, you wont get away with pulling hard on the stick in DCS, you will stall or rip your wings off.

Also check that take off assist/ pilot assist(what ever its called) is set to 0.

Edited by Snapage