Case I: why manually sweep wings back?

Bearfoot

As we enter the pattern, ~800 ft, 300-350 kts, wings manually swept back. The wings get switched to auto in the break.

Correct?

As we typically fly with wings on auto, why not keep wings in auto when entering as well as throughout the pattern?

I imagine, like so many procedures in aviation, this is grounded in some very good sense.

Wondering what the sense is?

Close formation you want to be in a constant setting coming into the boat.

On the break it helps the jet slow quicker due to higher alpha swept.

It looks cool and the Navy love that.

I hit auto at 350 knots in the break but that's just me an old habit.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Yep hit the merge with the wings swept and then shock him by taking him single circle

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Thanks all.

WRT the trim comments --- so you folks trim before the break? And then retrim after dirtied on the downwind? And then again as you get in the groove?

Once I get it trimmed on downwind, I don’t touch trim again. If you adjust the trim on the base turn then you’ll have to return on final. Instead, just add a little aft stick and hold it manually, then once you get on final you won’t have to mess with the trim

You’re always trimming. There’s no auto trim so every pitch change brings a corresponding trim change in the pattern. By the time your in the groove, pitch/trim should be pretty good with only minor adjustments and you then use DLC to perfect the trap

Once I get it trimmed on downwind, I don’t touch trim again.

You’re always trimming.

Two kinds of people, LOL

Seriously, thanks for the insight. Still struggling to get her trimmed on speed on the downwind, but I've tried to trim for level flight with the wings swept on the break and this definitely helps!.

I read an account by a pilot on how to do carrier landings with the F-14 and I believe his words were "You are always trimming like crazy".

But yeah, when you come into the brake with the wings swept back you should already be trimmed somewhat to keep the nose up because of the lack of lift from having the wings swept back.

After the brake when you sweep the wings forward, the trim should be so that your nose will not drop hard because you lost so much speed, because now your wings are unfolded and you are already well trimmed.

The idea is to be trimmed out as best you can so when it comes to final you only need small quick shots of trim to stay trimmed properly. That’s how I do it anyway.

Alienware M17x, Intel I7 4700MQ @2.4GHz, AMD R9 M290x, Win10 64x, 16GB ram, Saitek X-65, Saitek ProFlight pedals, Thrustmaster MFDs, Track ir 5