Su-27 vs F-15C

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to have a look at the -34. According to it, the Eagle's M61 should have a dispersion of 90%, 8 mils at 1000ft.

So, at a range of 1000ft, 90% of the rounds should pass within an 8ft circle. I haven't tested this. (Honestly I'm not sure how you would)

IRL, the rate of fire is selectable between either 4,000 or 6,000 rounds-per-minute. Anyone know what the rate of fire is in the DCS F-15?

Thanks for the clarification - makes sense. I guess there might be a way to output the trajectory of each cannon round via some sort of lua script possibly? Don't know what performance impact it would have but if it's possible it'd be an interesting experiment for someone who knows lua scripting.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

• 2 weeks later...

So been trying the hiding in the mountains tactic and been having quite some success, even with the AI's cheating awareness. Ended up in a very close 1v1 dogfight after I popped up right near one of them which was great fun, and I won it! I've attached the tacview to that.

I've grasped 1v1's against the AI, I'm a lot more confident in those. I've been doing 2v2's also but being terrible at those. It seems my wingman always get's on defensive early and leaves me, then it ends up being 2v1 and I'm normally toast.

Tacview-20160920-203702-DCS.txt.zip

GIGABYTE 78LMT

AMD FX-8350

MSI ARMOR 1060 GTX 3GB

32 GB RAM DDR3 1600

SSD 120GB OS - DCS Installed

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

1080p @ 60hz

for 2V2 with an AI wingman, you have to send the wingman ahead as bait and attack the bandits while they are focused on him.

Great, will give that a shot. It seems this is where the fire and forget really comes into it's own. I've added another successful tacview, comments welcome.

Managing to win using the hiding tactic at will now. I'm hoping to start playing online soon, I hear this strategy is used quite a lot with the Su-27?

Tacview-20160920-210623-DCS.txt.zip

GIGABYTE 78LMT

AMD FX-8350

MSI ARMOR 1060 GTX 3GB

32 GB RAM DDR3 1600

SSD 120GB OS - DCS Installed

SSD 240GB

HDD 1TB

1080p @ 60hz

Managing to win using the hiding tactic at will now. I'm hoping to start playing online soon, I hear this strategy is used quite a lot with the Su-27?

If you are going online and if you are all for the kills, then by all means, use the hiding in the mountains tactic, it will work against most lonewolves, but if you face a coordinated group of pilots, that tactic will not work as you will be dead in no time. Team up with someone and learn to fly the Eagle the way it was meant to be flown.

I think it used to be 6000 and has been set to 4000 by default - but it's sort of hearsay so don't quote me on it :)

I remember seeing 6000 ROF on the M61 entry in one of the (scripts/database/weapons) Lua files.

DCS modules are built up to a spec, not down to a schedule.

In order to utilize a system to your advantage, you must know how it works.

Great, will give that a shot. It seems this is where the fire and forget really comes into it's own. I've added another successful tacview, comments welcome.

Flying online with the SU-27 is... interesting. Against a competent Eagle driver, the only reliable tactic is to hang back and catch them by surprise while some other poor bastard plays bait. A couple of the 104th guys have their high/low supporting pairs refined to the point where the only way to get a kill is to blindside them, and you're going to have to work for that.

The high/low tactic is extremely effective for the F-15 against a single Su-27 (or often even a pair). The F-15 starts with a missile which is both more reliable and capable of fire-and-forget. The R-27 also currently significantly underperforms at range in the current version, all of which renders the Eagle on high-cover practically invulnerable: He will see you at the same time you see him, his missile is effective at greater range than yours, and his missile continues to be effective while he is turned away, should he decided to disengage. The low Eagle is not going to be visible to you until long after the high-cover has spotted you, no matter how deep in those valleys you go, a high-up (12km or higher) eagle looking down will see you before you get inside 50km.

If you try to go after the high eagle, you end up skylined to the lower eagle. High eagle cranks left or right to slow closing rate while low eagle drives straight in on full AB. Mach 1.5+ slammer launch on TWS quickly passes mach 3, and kills you before your RWR even alerts you that the missile has gone pitbull. Stay in the weeds and try to take the low eagle, then the high feeds him constant position updates on you while the low evades. Next thing you know you've got am AIM-120 coming at you at mach 4 from so high an angle that your RWR antennas can't even see it.

The only thing to do in this situation is to go in as a two-ship element and take turns drawing missiles until you run them out of slammers, and hope they are feeling cocky enough to press for AIM-9 kills.