Primer Cooling Trick

Merlin-27

What does it change? Maybe I gave not very detailed explanation due to lack of time. The total amount of heat given off for the cycle almost does not depend on mixture strength. The overall effect barely can be seen within several percents of the total heat amount if you move through 0.95 (auto-lean) to 0.6 mixture.

The difference is that compustion fuel is metered into the intake airstream prior to the supercharger. It should be throughly vaporized prior reaching the cylinders. Primer fuel, however, is injected directly into the intake manifold shortly before the cylinder. With sufficient quantity some of that fuel will still be in droplet form prior to combustion so it will contribute cooling from vaporization but will not be combusted.

• ED Team
The difference is that compustion fuel is metered into the intake airstream prior to the supercharger. It should be throughly vaporized prior reaching the cylinders. Primer fuel, however, is injected directly into the intake manifold shortly before the cylinder. With sufficient quantity some of that fuel will still be in droplet form prior to combustion so it will contribute cooling from vaporization but will not be combusted.

Do you think that the atomised fuel injected into hot streaming air in the manifold will not vapour?

What about automotive engines that sprays metered fuel into the manifold?

What is the difference between fuel injected directly to the cylinder and the fuel injected into the manifold before the cylinder? Where the fuel will have more time to evaporate?

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

• ED Team
But this probably wouldn't work as well as water or Methanol (or a mixture of both), correct? (I am assuming because those two liquids wouldnt combust like the fuel, making them better for cooling)

The cooling is effective only before combustion - the mixture has less temperature before it is compressed in the cylinder and thus it begins to burn and not to detonate (high speed burning).

Water and methanol have significantly higher specific evapouration heat - 2200 and 1100 kJ/kg as fuel has only 280. That's the difference... :)

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Do you think that the atomised fuel injected into hot streaming air in the manifold will not vapour?

What about automotive engines that sprays metered fuel into the manifold?

What is the difference between fuel injected directly to the cylinder and the fuel injected into the manifold before the cylinder? Where the fuel will have more time to evaporate?

Well, I did say "with sufficient quantity". Is the P51 primer connection a high pressure atomizing injector nozzle? I doubt it (in fact I doubt there was a nozzle at all), so not really a fair comparison and also the difference you asked about.

In the absence of other hard data I would have to give the benefit of the doubt to the pilot. He, after all, could observe first hand if his running the primer had an effect on engine temp and performance. Whereas debating it 70 years after the fact with no test bed in front of us is kind of pointless.

Where was that referenced, seems strange that un-combusted fuel would flow back to the tanks, in fact that seems impossible :)

Of course, from another of my "inquiring minds want to know threads" lol

Fuel Vapor Return Thread

It's in the P-51 manual somewhere.

EDIT: Found it...

P51FuelVapor.thumb.jpg.3f927a85f78b45d86cc985a2c6f0bb80.jpg

Edited by Merlin-27

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• ED Team
Well, I did say "with sufficient quantity". Is the P51 primer connection a high pressure atomizing injector nozzle? I doubt it (in fact I doubt there was a nozzle at all), so not really a fair comparison and also the difference you asked about.

In the absence of other hard data I would have to give the benefit of the doubt to the pilot. He, after all, could observe first hand if his running the primer had an effect on engine temp and performance. Whereas debating it 70 years after the fact with no test bed in front of us is kind of pointless.

There is a nice thing named "physics". It can calculate or estimate many things human's common sense can not explain or predict.

Sometimes pilots have wrong notions - a pilot in Russia (very experienced) sincerely believed that flying MiG-29 it's necessary to extend flaps to have longer glide distance with dead engines.

Sometimes their misbeliefes are harmless like primer injection...

There is a nice thing named "physics". It can calculate or estimate many things human's common sense can not explain or predict.

Sometimes pilots have wrong notions - a pilot in Russia (very experienced) sincerely believed that flying MiG-29 it's necessary to extend flaps to have longer glide distance with dead engines.

Sometimes their misbeliefes are harmless like primer injection...

And there is a nice thing called "testing" engineers relay upon because physics and the assumptions made to make it usable can not explain or predict all real world observed phenomena. Physics is great for getting you in the ball park though.

I assume you having no physical practical experience testing this particular scenario and therefore no basis for describing the primer squirting (probably a more accurate word then injecting) as a misbelief. It may not conform to your biases based on your knowledge of theory. You do seem to have a good handle on the chemistry and theory of engines. But without testing I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this experiment.

Edited by doright

• ED Team
And there is a nice thing called "testing" engineers relay upon because physics and the assumptions made to make it usable can not explain or predict all real world observed phenomena. Physics is great for getting you in the ball park though.

I assume you having no physical practical experience testing this particular scenario and therefore no basis for describing the primer squirting (probably a more accurate word then injecting) as a misbelief. It may not conform to your biases based on your knowledge. You do seem to have a good handle on the chemistry and theory of engines. But without testing I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this experiment.

Maybe Nick Grey knows :)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team

I assume you having no physical practical experience testing this particular scenario and therefore no basis for describing the primer squirting (probably a more accurate word then injecting) as a misbelief. It may not conform to your biases based on your knowledge of theory. You do seem to have a good handle on the chemistry and theory of engines. But without testing I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this experiment.

Ok, do you need a test if somebody can cool 1 kg of boiling water to 20C using only a little piece of ice?

I am always amased how much money and efforts spend Mythbusters or similar groups sometimes to test things that can be easily calculated and are obvious if you know physics or chemistry, whatever.

Just look at the numbers: for example, a carburettor injected 1.2 kg of fuel. 1 kg reacted in the cylinders giving 43 000 kJ of heat. 200 grams after evaporating can take only 0.2 * 280 = 56 (!) kJ.

As normal mixture strength ratio is about 0.8 you can add not more than 0.8 kg through primer jets, otherwise the total ratio will be too rich to ignite and burn. THus, you can not have cooling capacity more than 0.8*280 + 56 = 280 kJ.

Adding liquid fuel heat capacity (approx 2 kJ/kg/C) and presuming 100C heat we can add approx 200 kJ.

And overall it would be about 1% of heat that fuel combustion gave out. Do you still ask for a test?

Just look at the numbers:... ...out 1% of heat that fuel combustion gave out. Do you still ask for a test?

Interesting. Good analysis. Now let me attack some assumptions.

Mixture ratio assumes vaporized fuel, correct? So your assuming all the fuel pump through the priming system is vaporized. A test might be needed to confirm that.

Second assumption that the fuel/air charge is uniform and heat is evenly distributed. The hot gases exiting the exhaust valve aren't really our concern it is the hot gases in contact with the other engine components. Is there a surface effect in play that an excess of fuel might cause to be cooler then expected? Again testing.

Ok, do you need a test if somebody can cool 1 kg of boiling water to 20C using only a little piece of ice?

Even here there are a lot of assumptions. What if I had a piece of 1K ice? How little is little? What if water was boiling on top of Everest or for Felix's pre-jump tea? Are we using laboratory dewars or household plumbing?

Best thing about discussions like this I learned something new:

http://http://aviationshoppe.com/manuals/engine_technical_manual/merlin_66_67_70_71_76_77_85.html pg 213 "Priming and Slow-Running"

"An external piping system provides for injecting atomized fuel into the supercharger, the central delivery trunk, and both induction manifolds"

So the Merlin does use atomizers on the primer fittings, and priming fuel being pumped in all over the induction system (post supercharging).

A question that pesters me though is, could he have successfully achieved not excessively overheating the engine with throttle, rpm and mixture control alone. Something that would probably have to be tested out in advanced to find what combination minimized overheat yet produced enough power to sustain flight. Or even did he temporarily prevent combustion with an overly rich mixture thereby cooling the cylinder with the un-ignited charge. In which case would blipping the ignition have the same effect without expending so much fuel. Interesting questions that you would think the USAAF would expend a quite a few Merlins finding the answer to rather then losing planes and pilots that may have made it back if they had an answer.

Edited by doright

• ED Team

Is that for a different engine, and didnt the US built Merlin use a different supercharger, so there could be other differences, but honestly I dont know enough about the differences to say....

EDIT: Just at a quick glance the Merlin the the P-51D was the 69, or US designation V-1650-7, so technically not covered by that manual for whatever that is worth.

Honestly we are probably at the point of over thinking everything, it was used to nurse home a wounded bird, the degree it helped is probably not going to be discovered here ;)

But thanks to Merlin for the interesting read!

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
Of course, from another of my "inquiring minds want to know threads" lol

Fuel Vapor Return Thread

It's in the P-51 manual somewhere.

EDIT: Found it...

Good find, although I guess I misunderstood what he was saying, I thought he was saying unused fuel in the cylinder would be returned to the tank....

64Sig.png

EDIT: Just at a quick glance the Merlin the the P-51D was the 69, or US designation V-1650-7, so technically not covered by that manual for whatever that is worth.

Oops. You are correct. I clicked on the wrong manual on the base packard merlin page. The priming and fuel air separator vapor return line seems to be the same, so no harm done. Just better diagrams in the Merlin manual vs the Packard one.

Roger sir. I just simply found it an interesting bit...no matter what the finer details may be. No intention of inciting a riot :) I think we are all proud to have a sim where discussion of things like this are even an option.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

[Dogs of War] WWII COMBAT SERVER | P-51D - FW190-D9 - Me109-K4

Visit Our Website & Forum to Get More Info & Team Speak Access

• ED Team
Interesting. Good analysis. Now let me attack some assumptions.

Mixture ratio assumes vaporized fuel, correct? So your assuming all the fuel pump through the priming system is vaporized. A test might be needed to confirm that.

THere is no logic in your statement - if fuel is not vaporised it will not absorb heat... no magic, :). If it's vaporised it absorbs heat but shifts mixture strength towards end of flammability.

Second assumption that the fuel/air charge is uniform and heat is evenly distributed. The hot gases exiting the exhaust valve aren't really our concern it is the hot gases in contact with the other engine components. Is there a surface effect in play that an excess of fuel might cause to be cooler then expected? Again testing.

As we consider overheating of the engine through the temperature of coolant or oil it has no sense. Actually, having improper timing or mixture (too lean) you can gain local overheat, for example, valves, but overall temperature balance will not suffer.

A question that pesters me though is, could he have successfully achieved not excessively overheating the engine with throttle, rpm and mixture control alone. Something that would probably have to be tested out in advanced to find what combination minimized overheat yet produced enough power to sustain flight. Or even did he temporarily prevent combustion with an overly rich mixture thereby cooling the cylinder with the un-ignited charge. In which case would blipping the ignition have the same effect without expending so much fuel. Interesting questions that you would think the USAAF would expend a quite a few Merlins finding the answer to rather then losing planes and pilots that may have made it back if they had an answer.

It's a good idea but the same effect you can get simply reducing MP to get the same average power or simly turn off ignition... Anyway, any games with unburnt fuel is cylinders have a big riskof spark plug fouling...

It's been a long time, so correct me if I'm wrong. :)

As far as I can remember in regard to certain engines at least:

Leaner mixture burns faster (unless it becomes too lean). So the combustion is faster and maximum pressure of ignited mixture occurs earlier relative to the movement of the piston. As a result this happens when the combustion chamber volume is smaller (due to piston position) which causes higher pressure and higher temperatures, especially at the cylinder head.

Edited by Vijar

• ED Team

It's a good idea but the same effect you can get simply reducing MP to get the same average power or simly turn off ignition... Anyway, any games with unburnt fuel is cylinders have a big riskof spark plug fouling...

Well thats probably the bottomline on the subject right? I mean if you use the primer for an extended period of time in flight with the engine running, chances are the engine is going to run like a dog, and obviously it was only used to nurse the plane back home, its not like they all of a sudden decided that now in a dog fight they could start priming the engine to get some extra performance. And lets be honest, looking at the situation from the outside, the theory it could have been some what of a placebo effect is very realistic....

64Sig.png

THere is no logic in your statement - if fuel is not vaporised it will not absorb heat...

Ah ha, I was keeping my stupendous logic carefully hidden away from public view locked away in my brain (locked away, muddled up, forgotten... all the same). The way I was envisioning it was the primer fuel not vaporizing until the power stroke, thereby absorbing some of the heat of combustion. Which lead to my statement about achieving the same effect with mp, rpm, and mixture alone. I do wonder though about the interplay of droplet distribution, surfaces, and localized mixture concentration during the compression and power stroke. Things that are bound to have an effect on flame front progression and surface heating, but aren't revealed in a simple thermodynamic analysis.

All the manual says is that in case of coolant loss expect engine lockup within 10 minutes.

I'm talking about the official guidelines for the real engine.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!