HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

My Reverb is plugged into a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. Gen 1 offers 5Gbps speeds, whereas Gen 2 offers 10Gbps. I have no idea if it makes any difference but I have had no issues.

TO ANYONE HAVING RANDOM ISSUES WITH FLICKERING, TRACKING DISCONNECTS, performance issues :

I've just connected the headset to a powered StarTech PCI-E USB 3.1 card and it has made a very significant improvement in terms of stability.

For the first time the headset tracks in every direction smoothly (before it was basically a matter of luck as to whether it would work fully), the disconnects and flickering seem to be totally eliminated based on the last 30 minutes of flying. overall performance is much better now. I can't recommend this addition highly enough. For the sake of another £30 or $30 I think you'll have a MUCH more enjoyable VR experience.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

My Reverb is plugged into a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port. Gen 1 offers 5Gbps speeds, whereas Gen 2 offers 10Gbps. I have no idea if it makes any difference but I have had no issues. My ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING has both Gen 1 and Gen 2.

My motherboard is probably a bit older with lower bandwidth ports. I'll check that. The card has 10Gbps ports so that's probably what's helped, along with the dedicated power from the PSU. It's definitely made a significant improvement.

A small pie is soon eaten

Where the heck are you guys getting the Reverb? I haven't seen it available anywhere.

shopblt.com thanks to forum member Nagilem's heads up. Look like their next batch of shipment is July 12th.

Edited by hansangb

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Will there be any indication from HP or anyone that's selling these units to let people know the cable design has been redone? Last I heard the engineers were making changes to the headset cable and it's connection.

I figure by the time it is available to freely purchase on Amazon in US these maybe the revised units.

I don't know the answer to your question. But the way it connects, it's ready made to use wire-ties to secure it.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

http://www.neutronusa.com/prod.cfm/3567173/glb?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIg96F5fnz4gIVikcNCh2kSwH_EAkYAyABEgLZo_D_BwE

You may have seen this one as well during your search. This one cost more and I don't see where I can update inventory...but says in stock.

It also says "Mfg Direct Ship". If the manufacturer is out of them, you'll be waiting until they get them back in stock. I'd also be a little bit suspicious of a place that shows a picture of a Reverb, but calls the headset the VR1000, which is the first generation HP headset. Better to buy directly from HP rather than paying a middle man to hold onto your money for you while they wait for the manufacturer to have more stock. You'll also know for sure that you're getting a Reverb.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

They are both in the VR1000 Series

VR1000-100 HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset 1440 x 1440

VR1000-200nn HP Reverb VR 2160 x 2160

https://store.hp.com/ItalyStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=2CZ77EA&opt=ABB&sel=DTP

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

For the sake of clarity for those with flickering problems. I fitted two inantek expansion cards to my PC for Rift.

Reason for two is that I wanted three separate usb controllers, one on MB, and one on each card.

Rift plugged into expansion card one, Sensors plugged into card two and Hog HOTAS plugged into MB via a self powered hub with its own 36w power supply.

Other peripherals such as fingerprint reader, laser printer ect, pretty much shared between the two cards as they are not in constant use.

The cards are separately connected directly to the 5v rail on my PSU.

The cards I have and not had any problems with flickering / grey out are these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

This.

The same in Germany. I've just received an email from HP store offering me a prolonged warranty on the "Reverb VR1000-200nn".

It seems many at HP are confused with the naming, when it comes to the consumer version..

Edited by gabgio

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

In PL - I selected DCS.exe and setup:

Priority - High with windows dynamic enabled

CPU Affinity - No HT; make sure every other core is selected 0,2,4,6,8... The odds are HT.

IO - High

Application Performance - High performance

Memory - normal (best setting)

For stuff running during my flight - Tacview recorder, Discord, SRS, and Viacomm

Turned up my SS to 212% in Steam for that flight. Not sure if that makes a difference from 200 but some are saying that is closer to native for o+.

So far so good. waiting for my reverb... Looks like I got pushed back to after 6/21. I may get the index before the reverb at this rate :D

@Nagilem

Thanks for providing these settings. I tried them last night and I did not see any noticeable improvement in FPS. Maybe it's because I am GPU limited rather than CPU limited? I am running the Reverb at native resolution (+180% Steam VR SS) so that would make sense.

System: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z170 S Motherboard | Gigabyte RTX2080Ti GAMING OC 11GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) @ 3200 MHz | Corsair RMi Series RM650i | DCS Installation Drive: 1TB WD Blue M.2 SSD | HP Reverb Pro

Sim Controls: VKB Gunfighter MkIII MCG Pro | LH VKB Kosmosima | Pro Flight Trainer Helicopter Collective | VPC Mongoos MT-50 Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | 2 X Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | 2 X Elgato Stream Decks (15 Keys)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

(Sorry if this contains repeats. This thread has gotten long and hard to read/prevent a repeat of info from others)

Using PL with Steam/DCS:

I highly recommend separating the Steam Processes and isolating them (Server & Compositor) on their own cores. Then lock DCS.EXE away from those cores. This will reduce stutter and enhance smoothness. Applying other controls as listed in this thread are good too.

General Recommends:

DCS-PD = 1

No MSAA

Steam SS at 188/200/240 - Depending on your resources and vid card one of those are likely a good fit. You would have reduced impact for high processing cost above those really. If you don't like the jaggies and sparkle at 188%, it's likely 200% will remove most of those for less processing cost than MSAA.

Uncommenting and activating the "MotionReprojectionMode:auto" in the default.vrsettings file will give you quite a bit of smoothing and excellent play.

I hope this helps!

Edited by Thudster

(1AF) "THUD" | 55th FS

Joint Task Force 1 | Discord

PL = Process Lasso Got it

Edited by Hellcat

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

I have ordered the hp reverb (sending back the rift s).

Can you give me some advice on hardware and software configuration?

It is a bit hard to read all this topic to find tips

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

I have ordered the hp reverb (sending back the rift s).

Can you give me some advice on hardware and software configuration?

It is a bit hard to read all this topic to find tips

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3952863&postcount=1753

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3953366&postcount=1784

i7-9700K @ 5.0 l MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus MB l 32GB DDR4 2400 Ram l Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB M.2 l EVGA 3080 FTW l Win10 Pro l WarBRD/Warthog Hotas l VKB MkIV rudder Pedals l Reverb G2

@Nagilem

Thanks for providing these settings. I tried them last night and I did not see any noticeable improvement in FPS. Maybe it's because I am GPU limited rather than CPU limited? I am running the Reverb at native resolution (+180% Steam VR SS) so that would make sense.

Haha, I doubt your 2080ti is the bottleneck :) What's your GPU usage look like? DCS seems to only be able to fully utilize 2 cores for the graphical portion of the program and another 2 for purposes of loading terrain. Ill be willing to bet that with a 6700k 4cores/8threads you usually see a cpu usage around 25% and on occasion 50% when terrain is loading in. In other words a 5ghz 4core cpu would smoke a 4ghz 8core with the same lithography in DCS. Single core performance is King in DCS.

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Thanks Secoda. Still wouldn't give my money to a middle man though. One thing that's important with a lot of electronic items is whether or not an on-line vendor is an authorized dealer. A lot of manufacturers won't honor warranties if you purchase the item from someone who isn't an authorized dealer.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I bought direct from HP since this is a brand new product that always have some issues. I have chatted with them about half a dozen times on the Reverb and they have been helpful. Mainly tech support but customer service as well. I agree that if you managed to get a Reverb in the first batch and it works most of the time (like 99%) wait for the them to flush out any changes as always happens. Of course past 30 days you are out of the return stage and into the one year repair or replace (if they choose) warranty. Once well established and proven as they become a commodity item then I would check out other options. Right now, though, folks are just trying to get one however they can. Despite the issues HP says the demand is very high (huge backlog) because of the resolution and delays. I would not expect to see huge discounting anytime soon. If nothing else comes out in the 2160 x 2160 arena before the end of the year the price may be pretty stable IMO for a long time.

Thanks Secoda. Still wouldn't give my money to a middle man though. One thing that's important with a lot of electronic items is whether or not an on-line vendor is an authorized dealer. A lot of manufacturers won't honor warranties if you purchase the item from someone who isn't an authorized dealer.

Edited by Secoda

The US is trying to brand the Gen 2 as the "Reverb" I was told and to de-emphasize the VR1000 which is associated with the low resolution Gen 1. It is confusing everyone. IMO they should have done something different like VR2000.

This.

The same in Germany. I've just received an email from HP store offering me a prolonged warranty on the "Reverb VR1000-200nn".

It seems many at HP are confused with the naming, when it comes to the consumer version..

Using PL with Steam/DCS:

I highly recommend separating the Steam Processes and isolating them (Server & Compositor) on their own cores. Then lock DCS.EXE away from those cores. This will reduce stutter and enhance smoothness. Applying other controls as listed in this thread are good too.

Er.....how do I do that ????!

9900K @ 5GHz, 16Gb DDR4 @ 4000Mhz C17, Samsung 970 Pro M2 x 2, GTX Titan X (Pascal), EVGA 1000w PSU, HP Reverb pro.

I have had problems with USB clusters and different versions. IMO they have created a mess with so many different USB ports. Here are the ports now on my ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming MB. This is ridiculous. :(

Intel® Z390 Chipset :

1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)

Intel® Z390 Chipset :

4 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 port(s) (3 x Type-A+1 x USB Type-CTM)

Intel® Z390 Chipset :

4 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (2 at back panel, blue, 2 at mid-board)

Intel® Z390 Chipset :

6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (2 at back panel, black, 4 at mid-board)

For the sake of clarity for those with flickering problems. I fitted two inantek expansion cards to my PC for Rift.

Reason for two is that I wanted three separate usb controllers, one on MB, and one on each card.

Rift plugged into expansion card one, Sensors plugged into card two and Hog HOTAS plugged into MB via a self powered hub with its own 36w power supply.

Other peripherals such as fingerprint reader, laser printer ect, pretty much shared between the two cards as they are not in constant use.

The cards are separately connected directly to the 5v rail on my PSU.

The cards I have and not had any problems with flickering / grey out are these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00B6ZCNGM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Secoda

The Intel Ports are generally better than the AsMedia ports for VR, if you can use the Intel ones.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was doing a little checking with having received now two Microsoft updates on 1903. I am curious as to what others are seeing using the Reverb and re-projection with the indicator on. This is in the F-18 on "Free Flight".

The VRSettings file has RenderTargetScale set a 2.0 and I have not touched that. I did turn on motion re-projection with "Auto" and the Indicator at the top left of the display set to enabled (True). My FPS then shows a solid 45 FPS no matter what I do with re-projection on (it is low 60s FPS near terrain and 90 FPS skyward with it off). In the DCS main menu I see the green indicator. Flying very close to terrain/cities I see both the light blue and dark blue indicators on. Skyward pointed I only see the dark blue indicator. I have never seen the red indicator displayed.

Looking out the canopy next to the ground at high speed is definitely smoother with re-projection on with the Reverb. No doubt the Reverb blows my Lenovo Explorer away.

euUZMzr.jpg

Edited by Secoda

Here's the official confirmation of the Win10 1903 WMR VR renderTargetScale bug that impacts the Reverb, Odyssey and other WMR headsets. Hopefully quiets the 'flat earthers' on this, as it was getting tiresome to being told that it didn't exist, especially when trying to help them.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/discussions/0/1644292361960505688/

"A number of users have reported issues with blurriness after upgrading to Windows 1903. Unfortunately we didn't see this in insider flighting and in our private testing.

We have investigated and the underlying issue here is part of the Windows release, and not contained in the WMR for SteamVR package. We've tracked down the issue and have a fix ready, and are working on getting it released as a Windows update. Doing this means it takes a few weeks as Windows updates ship on a regular schedule.

If you have already updated to 1903, please know that we are actively looking into workarounds to address the issues here.

If you haven't updated to 1903 just yet, you may want to wait for this to be fixed."

You can also discuss the bug and possible workarounds with them here:

I usually get the red indicator when I look at other planes - 2-3 with anything on the ground usually pushes my CPU / GPU to the limit.

:pilotfly: Specs: I9-9900k; ROG Strix RTX 2080ti; Valve Index HMD; 32GB DDR4 3200 Ram; Samsung 970 EVO 1TB SSD; TM Warthog with pedals, 3 TM MFDs

I''ll try it in one of the A2A missions with three MIGs or so and see if I can get it to come on. Thanks.

I usually get the red indicator when I look at other planes - 2-3 with anything on the ground usually pushes my CPU / GPU to the limit.

Edited by Secoda