(yet another) Which module to choose for these Easter sales?

lwalter

For these Easter sales, it's the first time I hesitate about which module to add to my list...

Maybe it's because I already have quite a few modules (see my signature), but usually, it never stopped me from picking a new one in the past sales :)

If the Tomcat was on sale, I would have no hesitation, but it's not. So which one should I pick on sale?

Among the planes I own, I think I prefer the ones with HUD, MFDs, a good variety of weapons (A10, F18, AV8, M2000...), but I'm not yet impressed by the Viggen. I also enjoy the MiG21, but the F5 less. A good manual and training missions help too.

I'm also thinking about Combined Arms for something completely different, but I'm worried that I could get disappointed from it, thinking that it would simulate ground vehicles accurately.

And finally, I was wondering about the WWII planes, but system-wise, would they be challenging enough?

Any recommendation will certainly help me choose!

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

If the Tomcat was on sale, I would have no hesitation, but it's not. So which one should I pick on sale?

If you like the Tomcat, then you probably should go for it, as its much more satisfying to fly an aircraft you really love, rather than flying other aircraft just because its cheaper. It will be probably a year before it gets discounted, is it worth it to wait so much?

I'm also thinking about Combined Arms for something completely different, but I'm worried that I could get disappointed from it, thinking that it would simulate ground vehicles accurately.

Actually, it is more a tactical wargame rather than a tank simulator.

And finally, I was wondering about the WWII planes, but system-wise, would they be challenging enough?

The sale will be up for 10 days ... try the free TF-51D and see for yourself if you like this type of plane, their challenge is more on the handling and navigation rather than their system's. Of the four available, I like the Spitfire the most .. but they are all more or less similar.

Cheers

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

try the free TF-51D and see for yourself if you like this type of plane, their challenge is more on the handling and navigation rather than their system's.

Does the TF-51D really give you a good impression of how the other WW2-aircraft are modelled? I thought it was only on a Flaming Cliffs level.

What about helicopters? Both the Blackshark and Mi-8 have good and detailed systems modelling, not to mention the fun of mastering all the nuisances of rotary flight. The Blackshark in particular is quiet easy to master with its flight augmentation systems.

> try the free TF-51D and see for yourself if you like this type of plane

Actually, I wasn't too thrilled by it. I don't know whether it was because of the lack of weapon or something else

> What about helicopters?

I already have the 4 DCS helicopters (got them in a bundle for a past sale). I don't fly them very often because I still haven't managed to properly hover and land with them.

I think I'm now leaning towards:

- either a trainer/light fighter: L39, C101

- either Mig15/F86

- either just bite the bullet and get the Tomcat

Would the Tomcat be an FPS killer? I read that the Tomcat could be very demanding. I don't have the best-suited rig for gaming (I know), although I get between 30 and 60 fps with all my current planes and current maps (except Normandy).

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, i7 4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, AMD R9 M395X 4 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog | Cougar MFD | MFG Crosswind | EDTracker Pro | Realteus ForceFeel

DCS World | Bf109 | Fw190 A8/D9 | P47 | P51 | Spitfire | I16 | C101 | L39 | F86F | MiG15 | MiG19 | MiG21 | FC3 | A10C | AJS37 | AV8BNA | F5 | F14 | F16 | F/A18 | M2000 | JF17 | Christen Eagle | Yak52 | SA342 | UH1H | Mi8 | Ka50 | Combined Arms | NS430 | Persian Gulf | Normandy | Channel | Syria | NTTR | WWII Assets

You keep circling back to the Tomcat....Get the Tomcat. It exceeds all expectations. System performance wise it is roughly the same as the F/A-18C.

The trainers are great, but if you already have the F-5E you already have a more powerful version of what they offer (guns, bombs, rockets, IR missiles). The MiG15/F86 are fantastic modules, but they are limited to Cold War servers/scenarios, and like the trainers offer a similar feature set as the F-5E (only slower and less technology in the cockpits)

I'm very tempted by the AV-8B. I currently have FC3, M2000, A-10C and the F/A-18. Is the Harrier worth it being that it's been out for alittle while now?

If the F-14 was discounted, I'd of gone for that but I'll wait.

F/A-18C; A-10C; F-14B; Mirage 2000C; A-4E; F-16C; Flaming Cliffs 3

Hi,

I have to say if you are thinking of a trainer, L-39 is good, and multi-player works. C101 is good to, although I am not sure that multi-player works, I have yet to try it... maybe someone can say more.. I have about an hr. in it, but it seems really well done!

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm very tempted by the AV-8B. I currently have FC3, M2000, A-10C and the F/A-18. Is the Harrier worth it being that it's been out for alittle while now?

If the F-14 was discounted, I'd of gone for that but I'll wait.

Get the F14... The harrier is broken in a wide variety of ways, and while Raz claims they will fix it, they've claimed that for the last year too, so I wouldn't hold your breath. The only thing with the harrier vs the F18 is VTOL, and for most scenarios or online its pretty overrated since there are spawn issues with the LHA and most servers won't let you spawn at a FARP. The only other advantage at the moment versus the hornet is the TPOD, and once the F18 gets the TPOD (wait a month) there will be even one less reason to fly the harrier. Otherwise if you like air to mud the Viggen is a hoot and pretty unique with its ASM's and Stand off cluster bombs (throw that ****er over an enemy airfield and watch hilarity ensue).

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

First a consideration: I usually do not like the plane I'd be interested irl or at an air show, but the one better simulated. Never held my breath irl for a-10 or l-39, but they are two of my favourite in the simulator. Second an advice: one of the best things simulated in dcs Is helicopter flight dynamics. If you do not have an heli, buy uh-1h. Ka-50 Is a kind of its own, mi-8 Is maybe more difficult, Gazelle Is not so accurate as the orhers. Uh-1 Is what remains.

Been flying the uh-1 for a while and held back on the Gazelle for years as so many had concerns about it. But just bought it today and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Pretty pleased with the FM so far and is a substantial difference to the huey.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

For these Easter sales, it's the first time I hesitate about which module to add to my list...

Maybe it's because I already have quite a few modules (see my signature), but usually, it never stopped me from picking a new one in the past sales :)

Among the planes I own, I think I prefer the ones with HUD, MFDs, a good variety of weapons (A10, F18, AV8, M2000...), but I'm not yet impressed by the Viggen. I also enjoy the MiG21, but the F5 less. A good manual and training missions help too.

Seeing what you've got already, just go for the Tomcat. It's worth every penny. If you can afford and want some fun, get the MiG-15 as well, that gun is awesome. Just in case you want to get something for less because of the sales.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Ugh.....just buy the one you think you want.

You - "What color should I get?"

Us - "Well, we all like red"

You - "But I like blue, so...."

:joystick:

I get that ....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Thanks all for your suggestions!

I finally decided to buy the Tomcat...

It's not on sale, but it was definitely worth it.

Just a note regarding my question about the fps hit earlier in this thread.

The Tomcat definitely is demanding. With any other plane I have, including the F/A 18, I had 60 fps on average on Caucasus. With the F 14, I lose between 10 and 15 fps!

Guess I am late to this discussion, but if you have the inclination, do consider getting a helicopter during the sale. They are a different beast altogether and quite fun to fly. In multiplayer, if you get the right group of people, it's fun to find and mark targets, or do scalpel work. The physics are awesome and you would be put much closer to the action.

I have owned the Ka-50 since BlackShark and it's still a blast to fly!