7,5GB+14GB Update 4

FistofZen

So you are blaming ED because you dont have enough disk space?

If you took a look at the Update 4 Changelog you would know what I am talking about.

Nothing that is mentioned in the changelog would point to something bigger than a 1GB of an update.

Has some Caucasus improvements (mesh and textures).

Thanks

Am I special?

Use linked folders and move few of the folders in this new type.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/

There is no real simulation game that will run on small volumes.... take it as a fact, act accordingly.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

If you took a look at the Update 4 Changelog you would know what I am talking about.

Nothing that is mentioned in the changelog would point to something bigger than a 1GB of an update.

Thanks

The DCS changelog never include all changes, some of them as texture and mesh updates normally has not included without has a very big update (NTTR expansion). That was only a "minor" update in a theatre, as some lighting tuning.

You should never let an SSD get that close to full in the first place. Anything more than 80% full is not a good idea, from a performance standpoint.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm hoping the game doesn't get any larger. I could only get a 120GB drive on my budget and right now I only have 9GB free...with DCS being the only thing on the drive.

As I said above, leaving less than 10% of the drive free is going to hurt performance of the drive.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I'm hoping the game doesn't get any larger. I could only get a 120GB drive on my budget and right now I only have 9GB free...with DCS being the only thing on the drive.

Persian Gulf map and other modules (as F/A-18C) can coming in the future, and of course, core DCS W continue growing with new 3D models, texture, etc. recomender a new SSD / HD.

As I said above, leaving less than 10% of the drive free is going to hurt performance of the drive.

Today while updating I noticed my pc turning into a Pentium II level pc. Luckily I had another SSD to move the game on.

Am I special?

I had this exact issue. Its like the torrents were downloading over and over and not patching the game.

I fixed it by doing a repair (which put me back to the "previous" version and offered to delete files) and manually deleting everything in _downloads.

Then reran the update, did another ~8GB of torrents and it appears fine now... and the _downloads folder has cleared itself.

Win 10pro x64 | i5 2500 | 16GB RAM | GTX1060 6GB | Logitech G940 | Tir5 + TC

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS is a huge Simulator. Excellent textures and graphics. U know even in the AAA titles like ghost recon, when you fly in chopper and view the terrain from height, it is no where near the feeling that DCS gives you. So I think DCS has the right to occupy space and other resources.

However the last update has messed up controls.

For Tekken7 for PC (Mortal Kombat style game) have arround 65 GB :)). I am really wondering why... but I said this to understand better that DCS size is very good actually. Other games:

Arma3 with several mods: 190GB

FIFA18: ~60GB

World of tanks: ~35GB

rFactor2 with mods: 60GB

Assetto Corsa: ~ 30GB

I don't want to mention X-Plane which if is modded can exceed even 200GB.

These are currently what is called "normal". I know storage is expensive, but as an insider... SSD are decreasing in price quite drastically this year. Just wait a bit more until the summer time.

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Ran out of space with the update and you are mad..Haaaa.. Just wait it gets better.

BTW My P3D install is 180+ gigs. Of course the clouds/weather alone are larger than all 3 versions of DCS. Just one Orbyx scenery is also larger than all 3 or so DCS versions combined.

Edited by JIMJAM