Dropping the CBU ahead of a moving target

Vampyr

The way I'm currently dropping CBUs is by switching to CCRP and then locking onto the target with TGP. This works fine for stationary targets, however moving targets can be hit and miss because by the time the skeets start firing, the targets may have moved on.

Is there a way I can compensate for the target's ground speed and have a release point that's ahead of their current position?

Edited by Vampyr

Just as an idea, consider the HOF, that is the Height Of Function, which is the height AGL that the CBUs will release their submunitions.

The higher the HOF, the longer it'll take the submunitions to reach the ground. This is especially true with the CBU-97's submunitions, since these will float to the ground on a parachute and only start their deadly sequence at a fixed height (firing upwards and then releasing the skeets, which will in turn fire the penetrator at anything that looks like a valid target).

I think the lowest possible HOF settings will lead to a complete waste of the subminitions, at least with the -97, but if you set a relatively low value like 500 ft, it might work quite well.

Of course, if you can drop the bomb itself from relatively low altitude, it further helps decrease the time the bomb will be in the air before the submunitions hit the ground.

But if there's any chance at all, I prefer guided munitions or the gun against moving targets. Ideally, get one aircraft for an initial attack, and set up #2 to follow up with a CBU if the targets disperse and become stationary. :thumbup:

Approach target with 10 deg azimuth offset, of target's movement's azimuth, with aimpoint just in front of lead vehicle. Assuming a linear march order. Intention is to create an obstacle, that following enemy vehicles have to go around, slowing down the column for subsequent attack. I believe thats how non-precision munitons delivery is taught it US and NATO. But with CBU, just drop them at center of leading 1/3 of enemy column and watch sparks fly, and your FPS drop down to single digits. Exit target area on a heading that minimizes exposure of own jetpipe to the enemy. Normally you would break into the direction from which you approached release point. Drop countermeasures regardless if there is a MANPADS , AAA, or SRSAM threat , with enemy vehicle column.

A 10-11 deg. offset is also optimal for synthetic aperture radar imaging, or Doppler Beam Sharpening AG mode. Not applicable to A-10C and of course none of the flyable modules in DCS have SAR, and DCS may not suppourt it in current version. I don't own M2000C module, so maybe that module has advanced AG modes.

• 2 months later...

An amatures suggestion to a CBU-97 drop.

CBU-97 kills some tough targets so why not?

(A-10C)

Highlight a CBU-97

Press INV

Highlight the bomb again

Press INV STAT

Toggle HOF to 700

Press LOAD SYM (or just LOAD if that is the coise)

Thats it.

I just use CCIP since I find it fast and flexible, a matter of taste.

It seems to me that attacking a column from the rear-end does not attract as much attention as otherwize, my guess.

Good Luck & Hunting :)

Edited by Fohat
not informative enough to my taste.

But if there's any chance at all, I prefer guided munitions or the gun against moving targets. Ideally, get one aircraft for an initial attack, and set up #2 to follow up with a CBU if the targets disperse and become stationary. :thumbup:

+1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CBU-97 kills some tough targets so why not?

(A-10C)

Highlight a CBU-97

Press INV

Highlight the bomb again

Press INV STAT

Toggle HOF to 700

Press LOAD SYM (or just LOAD if that is the coise)

Thats it.

I just use CCIP since I find it fast and flexible, a matter of taste.

It seems to me that attacking a column from the rear-end does not attract as much attention as otherwize, my guess.

Good Luck & Hunting :)

Why not just go into the main profile of the cbu and change the HOF to 700? Seems like it would be much easier for multiple stores of CBUs. Just my .02 unless there is a down side that I am unaware of?

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

if there are tanks on the road, I like to use what people have said here and change the Height of Function on the bomb and drop ahead of them.

However, if the targets are soft (trucks, APCs, etc) in a column moving along a road, I like to turn off the PAC system (flip the gun arm switch down) and let the recoil of the gun guide my aim along the road with the burst length depending on the number of vehicles. This is very effective as the gun fires around 70 round per second so it's hard to miss and more reliable than using CBUs, at least against soft targets.

RTX 2070 8GB | 32GB DDR4 2666 RAM | AMD Ryzen 5 3600 4.2Ghz | Asrock X570 | CH Fighterstick/Pro Throttle | TM MFDs | TrackIR 5