What ever happened to the Crimea map?

Spades_Neil

Lots of interesting feedback. I am not surprised it was a design limitation on the old engine, but I will be surprised if it turns out to continue being a design limitation on the new engine.

As far as I know there is no hard limitation on the size of map and number of objects. But there could be a limitation in terms of performance impact and the performance impact of the average PC. I'm sure they could make a map of insane detail with a huge number of objects, but it'd only be able to run well on the most beastly of PCs. The density of objects is so much higher on the new maps when compared to the Caucuses, so thats a factor you gotta account for.

The right man in the wrong place makes all the difference in the world.

Current Projects:  Grayflag ServerScripting Wiki

Useful Links: Mission Scripting Tools MIST-(GitHub) MIST-(Thread)

SLMOD, Wiki wishlist, Mission Editing Wiki!, Mission Building Forum

The limitation was for the 32bit version of the old engine - going 64bit removed the problem.

Nate

So please, give us grimea .. even low detail one. :kiss:

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As far as I know there is no hard limitation on the size of map and number of objects. But there could be a limitation in terms of performance impact and the performance impact of the average PC. I'm sure they could make a map of insane detail with a huge number of objects, but it'd only be able to run well on the most beastly of PCs.

Newer APIs suppose to help with the draw calls, but if DCS is not multi-threaded as other games, that's a question mark on how much the benefit would be.

The density of objects is so much higher on the new maps when compared to the Caucuses, so thats a factor you gotta account for.

New Caucasus or old Caucasus ?

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

• 5 months later...

Saw a facebook comment from ED saying the Crimea wouldn't be returning due to politics, at least we have a firm answer now.

• Like 1

Intel 5820k | Asus X-99A | Crucial 16GB | Powercolor Devil RX580 8GB | Win 10 x64 | Oculus Rift | https://gallery.ksotov.co.uk

Patiently waiting for: DCS: Panavia Tornado, DCS: SA-2 Guideline, DCS: SA-3 Goa, DCS: S-300 Grumble

What I would love to see would be a continuing expansion of the Caucasus map in all directions. That way the area you get to operate in keeps enlarging as the map grows. But, obviously, that's not how it's being done. If wishes were horses...

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Configurable Air field static objects would be good enough for me at this point. I'd just save a mission with Crimea and Turkey airbases (might as well add Ronstov Don, Stravopol, etc) and use that as the basis for all missions from then on.

This might be the easiest solution to larger maps, at least to those who don't value universal map detail.

• Like 1

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

I also think placeable runways is a very important feature to add, and would serve this purpose, along with many other options. Ideally multiple types like long, short, grass, paved etc. Also, a group of objects what provide base functions without an actual runway would be helpful too, for creating road bases etc.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

• 3 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Well, as far as the buildings around it go, it didn't change that much since the Cold War ended. It would be nice to have Crimea, but I suspect the Russian government might be a little antsy about Sevastopol (by far the main attraction, as far as DCS goes) right now. I don't think the map itself needs much expansion, also due to performance concerns, but if possible politically, that area should be restored, at least, because it's quite a big base for the Russian side.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

Sevastopol (by far the main attraction, as far as DCS goes)

I loved Belbek airport back in the Flanker 2.0/2.5 days 🙂 

• Like 2
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

19 hours ago, upyr1 said:

I want a cold war black sea map 

Our map is already something like an early 90s depiction AFAIK, I doubt there would be much difference beyond correcting inaccuracies.

Though there are things like SAM sites and EWR stations etc, which are currently absent on the map.

• Like 1

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

28 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Our map is already something like an early 90s depiction AFAIK, I doubt there would be much difference beyond correcting inaccuracies.

Though there are things like SAM sites and EWR stations etc, which are currently absent on the map.

With any luck we could get something 1960s or 1970ish which would be old enough that we don't have to worry about modern poltics 

• Like 3