Moving DCSW2 to a New Windows Install

Horns

Is there a way I could back up DCS World 2 Open Alpha and its modules?

It looks like I'll have to replace much of my PC hardware, which means a new Windows 10 install. I'd rather not download everything all over again if I can help it, especially at the download speed I get.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't see any section that was more relevant.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Hi JM1,

If you want to make changes to your computer or take DCS off your PC etc. You can deactivate each module in the module manager to not lose any module activation's.

Once deactivated, copy the complete DCS install folder to an external hard drive etc. Then copy this back to the new PC and you're good to reactivate the modules.

You are free to move DCS around without it affecting the windows install, I did this on my old PC by moving DCS to a new SSD drive on the same PC, just copy and paste, then deleted the old one. Just deactivate each module first when making major changes, because starforce protection will flag the new changes as a new PC and will cost an activation, not really a big deal unless you are making PC changes a lot.

You also might like to backup your keybind files.

C(?):\Users"yourname"\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input

You may have other "DCS" folders at the Saved Games folder level, if you have more than one install of DCS.

Edited by David OC
  • Like 1

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Hi JM1,

If you want to make changes to your computer or take DCS off your PC etc. You can deactivate each module in the module manager to not lose any module activation's.

Once deactivated, copy the complete DCS install folder to an external hard drive etc. Then copy this back to the new PC and you're good to reactivate the modules.

You are free to move DCS around without it affecting the windows install, I did this on my old PC by moving DCS to a new SSD drive on the same PC, just copy and paste, then deleted the old one. Just deactivate each module first when making major changes, because starforce protection will flag the new changes as a new PC and will cost an activation, not really a big deal unless you are making PC changes a lot.

Thanks David, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I will deactivate the modules first; I think most people know about a windows installation nightmare, so better safe than sorry

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

I want to get myself a new SSD, dedicated for my FlightSim. So I have to deactivate all my moduls and then copy my existing 1.5 & 2.1 installations to some backup folder, deinstall everything and then? Reinstall everything? That would mean to download all content, which would take hours? Or did I miss some faster way?

Edited by Canadus
Typos

Ryzen 5800XD - 32GB RAM - Sapphire RX 7900 XTX - VKB Stuff + MFG Crosswind Pedals

Homebase: Southwest Germany 🇩🇪

I want to get myself a new SSD, dedicated for my FlightSim. So I have to deactivate all my moduls and then copy my existing 1.5 & 2.1 installations to some backup folder, deinstall everything and then? Reinstall everything? That would mean to download all content, which would take hours? Or did I miss some faster way?

Deactivate Modules, install new SSD, move and 2.1 folders to the new SSD, and then reactivate modules. You won't need to download anything. Thanks again to David OC for explaining that to me.

If you only move your DCS to new SSD without installing new system on it, no need to deactivate and activate anything either (system with all the activation data in registry remains the same after all). Remember to edit your shortcuts in Windows and dcs_local_source.txt file and your're done.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

A few weeks ago I did these to move a new SSD.

1. I deactivated all modules in any case.
  2. Moved Eagle Dynamics folder (includes v1.5.x and v2.1.x) to another harddrive.
  3. Installed a new SSD into my system and installed everything on it (I mean Windows and other softwares).
  4. Moved Eagle Dynamics folder to SSD back.
  5. Created shortcuts to taskbar.
  6. Repaired DCS World to install other necessary files (runtimes etc.)

It works.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I hope this is the best fitting (thread)location for my questions :3

I lost some key activations months ago because I didn't knew that deactivating modules before reinstalling is necessary, ED is moving away from the starforce protection right?

Am I right, that the limited activations and my loss of some are no longer "a problem/matter"?

The next question is even more related to the topic (I guess xD)

and my real problem right now:

I moved my installation to another SSD (DCS World OpenBeta) and for months it was no problem.

From time to time but since 2 days with every Windows restart, the Tobii Game Hub does not recognize DCS as an "installed game".

In fact it did not attracted my attention until now because all was working fine; but in regedit...

(Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eagle Dynamics) I am missing the DCS World "folder". So no path or version number is there - the modules only (see screenshot in attachment).

Could this be the reason for Tobii Game Hub reacting this way?

some of what I have tried:

• creating a dcs_local_source.txt (with following content: E:\DCS World OpenBeta\) - with no entry created in regedit or solution in Tobii Game Hub after update and repair
  • dcs_updater.exe update
  • dcs_updater.exe repair
  • reading 10 threads but not finding a solution^^

I'd be so happy for your help!!

Merry Christmas,

scarfur

screenie.GIF.2533f021b9452f9f0d7c51a8aa885144.GIF