Street lights tint suggestion

Bourrinopathe

Hello,

The street lights have a pale yellowish/light greenish tint and I think a slight tint modification would improve the cities night lighting realism.

Las Vegas still mainly uses high pressure sodium bulbs and progressively evolves to LEDs street lights.

The sodium lights have a very characteristic orange/yellow tint whereas the LEDs cast a white light.

Here are some comparison shots:

DCS LV:

FaVZF69.jpg

67cJCDy.jpg

Real LV:

Las-vegas-by-night.jpg

ISS026-E-006255_lrg.jpg

Sodium and LEDs:

1336611525_30233.jpg

Although there's no need to match the tint variations, I really thing a warmer color would make the cities look more realistic and visually catchy.

As the Nevada terrain is still in alpha, I hope this post is constructive enough to help improving the final product.

Thanks for reading ;)

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

it`s a long exposure photos, i think this is closer to the naked eye view:

7973182110_24624519e1_b.jpg

but it will be cool to add more color to the lights and make them a little brighter

YouTube || Copycats - technology and product clones (primarily aviation) || dgrigoriev.com
SPECS: i7 8700K (OK 5GHz), 2xGTX 3080ti, 64GB RAM, 1Tb SSD, WIN 10, 2560x1440, Oculus Rift CV1 || TM Warthog, TIR5, MFG Crosswind pedals

The exposure time will make it brighter, like in those photos, but not affect the colour balance. Sodium streetlights really look that yellow in real life too.

Win10 x64 | SSDs | i5 2500K @ 4.4 GHz | 16 GB RAM | GTX 970 | TM Warthog HOTAS | Saitek pedals | TIR5

I forget that for real LV the exposition time influence the real light and perhaps the real is not like these pictures .

The colour temperature of sodium lighting is definitely more yellow. Even LED streetlights have a slight yellow cast.

I have to match lighting and colour temps every day in my graphics work.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice work alieneye. Hope the NTTR lights can be made to look similar in the future.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".

---------------------------------------------------------

Intel i-9 9900k @ 5.0 Ghz, EVGA 2080tiFTW3 11Gb, Corsair H115 PRO water cooler, Gigabyte AorusMaster motherboard, EVGA Super Nova 1000 watt G+ powersupply, G.SKILL 64Gb ram @3800 MHz, HP EX 920 M.2 PCIe 3TB,Windows 10Pro x64

Thanks for the picture alieneye. That's the idea.

Unless there's a very specific tool for that (which I doubt), there's probably no chance the streetlights tints could be that diversified.

At least, ED might be able to tweak the overall tint without struggling with the engine.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

3200K (standard car headlights, not halogens - they're about 4800K... the older standard house light bulb, etc, etc) shows up gold'ish to the naked eye viewed from distance

Also, is that lovely wave effect of the nightlights rippling through the cityscape, viewed from distance

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"