Shkval unable to lock targets

fargo007

it never did carry them, so they wont be modled, not sure but I think the Aligaor does/did.

we all know the shark has problems, a lot of us have had the wandering slew bug for ages, also with the shiv not locking in bright light, for me has never been a problem, but then I am more strategic and will adjust my attack accordingly as I'm sure they would in RL

You can't adjust your attack "strategically" in this game, because there is no cover. Even Arma maps don't have much cover (was noticing the other day there really isn't much difference between them and DCS World). In order to do that, you need extremely detailed terrain like in crysis, where you can hide behind jutting rocks and deep canyons. Hopefully, one day.

Another thing is that the laser reportedly can get tired. Also maybe pay attention to what the hud/screen is showing for locking status.

We'd need a few tracks to really show it.

You can't adjust your attack "strategically" in this game, because there is no cover. Even Arma maps don't have much cover (was noticing the other day there really isn't much difference between them and DCS World).

Quite puzzled by this statement... care to elaborate or take this to another thread?

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath on ED doing anything these days. Hence why I'm holding off on buying anything new from them, until I see them fix some of the worst bugs on modules I've already bought.

And that would be the A-10c and the Shark. If they're not going to fix these by NOW, why would I have confidence in them to fix anything else?

I agree.

:megalol:

Yeah, I'm not exactly holding my breath on ED doing anything these days. Hence why I'm holding off on buying anything new from them, until I see them fix some of the worst bugs on modules I've already bought.

And that would be the A-10c and the Shark. If they're not going to fix these by NOW, why would I have confidence in them to fix anything else?

I've been thinking about this and also considered that if they have enough money from us, then they will have more resources to keep the modules alive. Thus I bought stuff just recently.

On the other hand if there is even no promise to keep modules alive, then why waste money and hope for something that will never come and everything you currently have paid for will be useless in a couple of years?

I will have to jump on your boat and pay only for products I can trust. There are too many of my modules broken for several years now without a promise to fix them.

Promises account for little as often it takes years to actually deliver them. I figure some things being broken is the state of the art in simulators but the envelope of product quality is moving up. Old modules should have their maintenance cycles, see also what's the situation with campaigns or old stuff like CA which has been there soon 7 years and still half-hearted despite the $40 price tag.

I wonder if much of DCS is now taxed by resources being focused on high priority projects where ED has overcommitted. Despite ED usually not working in such a fashion; but then again the actual results of any development project can be extremely hard to predict beforehand. The Hornet seems to be advancing at a staggering pace, I hope the developers have a little breather when ED feels safe with the project again, and can take a look at their old code.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Promises account for little as often it takes years to actually deliver them. I figure some things being broken is the state of the art in simulators but the envelope of product quality is moving up. Old modules should have their maintenance cycles, see also what's the situation with campaigns or old stuff like CA which has been there soon 7 years and still half-hearted despite the $40 price tag.

I wonder if much of DCS is now taxed by resources being focused on high priority projects where ED has overcommitted. Despite ED usually not working in such a fashion; but then again the actual results of any development project can be extremely hard to predict beforehand. The Hornet seems to be advancing at a staggering pace, I hope the developers have a little breather when ED feels safe with the project again, and can take a look at their old code.

Yep ... What I have an issue with is that they continue to sell those modules without any disclaimer. They should put those modules out of sale as long as they are broken. I even question the legality of doing this.

Go buy a new TV tomorrow to discover that you cannot switch channels when its not sunny ... To read later that it is broken for years and that they "may" fix it in few years. See how it floats. Wonder why it is accepted in the software community to buy something completely broken on day 1.

Edited by Frag

Completely broken sounds exagerated.

I fly Ka50 almost every day. I'm on the georgian oïl war campaign. one mission was night combat with unability to "hard" lock at any distance (despite flares airdropped), but still very doable. I use Devrim's cockpit for lights fix with deffered shaddings, waiting for ED's update.

To me ka50 deserves well its price. Stop selling it would be a shame.

Maybe this copter is accurately modeled, but I sure as hell would never fly this thing in a Modern Battlefield. Suicide. It is pretty much defenseless from air attacks as you cannot fly the bucking bronco, and target air threats at the same time. Sometimes it flies smoothly, other's it's trying to tear the cyclic out of your hand or break the rotors. I imagine this is why Russia gave up on it after 12 aircraft were made. If you are faced with ANY kind of air threat in this thing, you've got to have an infrared ( quick targeting ), fire and forget defensive missile. Even before you can even lock him, he's already fired AA missiles at you at max range. You can only lock attack jets at close range when they are coming straight at you. You cannot lock Fighter jets at all.

After many, many, many hours of flying the Shark, I'm just about to give up on it. It's fun to fly at times, but in combat, about the only thing it can do is stand off at max range, and attack tanks and AAA. If you run in, it's almost as bad as air threats, as you have no armor, and it's HELL to try and lock a target while maneuvering. The only chance you have is rockets and guns with manual sights.

Really disappointed in it.

Another thing, when you enter the Battlefield, the enemy reacts like you are the MOST IMPORTANT TARGET on the battlefield. Similar targets seem to be almost ignored. I went back to flying the A-10 in a randomly generated mission, and 3 Su-27's instantly target me every time. THREE SU-27s! Even though there are F-16's and such closer to them. I must be ONE HELL of a THREAT!

Edited by 3WA

The Shark is a sniper, not a fighter jet, be as far away from your targets for as long as possible with as much cover possibilities as possible. You shouldn't really be over the actual combat area in the first place, you shouldn't need to do maneuvering while targeting.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Hmm, the only way so far I have found to defeat an A-10 is to get him to shoot his AIM-9's at you and then try to get some trees between him and you.

He will almost always get an AIM-9 off before you can lock him up. Even if you do manage too, he usually gets his AIM-9 off right after you shoot, and that thing is Fire and Forget. I've set the Flares for six at a time, and shooting off a couple of volleys seems to work somewhat decently. Then, when he's out of AIM-9's ( hopefully only two! ), you can TRY to lock him up at range. Unfortunately, even if there is just one A-10, and there are other heli's in the area, I've noticed the computer is pretty good at getting them all to engage you at once, from different sides.

The thing that really screws with you though is the Flight System Computer. If you Trim a lot during manuevering, it screws up quick ( usually as your trying to lock the target. ) This appears to mostly happen with yaw. Heli just suddenly freaks out, and wants to spin wildly. It takes me precious seconds to bring it back under control, straighten it out, let my joystick go back to center, then trim a few times with it at center to clear it all out.

This heli has some major problems. That and trim still doesn't seem to work well, even when you put a check in the Central Position Trimmer box. That should tell it you don't have an FFB joystick ( 99% of joysticks out there ). When I trim and let go, it always moves off a little, sometimes badly.

Maybe this copter is accurately modeled, but I sure as hell would never fly this thing in a Modern Battlefield. Suicide. It is pretty much defenseless from air attacks as you cannot fly the bucking bronco, and target air threats at the same time. Sometimes it flies smoothly, other's it's trying to tear the cyclic out of your hand or break the rotors. I imagine this is why Russia gave up on it after 12 aircraft were made. If you are faced with ANY kind of air threat in this thing, you've got to have an infrared ( quick targeting ), fire and forget defensive missile. Even before you can even lock him, he's already fired AA missiles at you at max range. You can only lock attack jets at close range when they are coming straight at you. You cannot lock Fighter jets at all.

1/It will only try to pull the cyclic out of your hand if you don't understand the AP and fly it incorrectly.

2/It sounds like you have a completely unrealistic expectation of helicopter A2A combat. It was never intended that pilots go out and try to shoot down jets.

It's a GROUND attack aircraft, with limited ability to engage targets of opportunity in the air - as are all attack helicopters.

The US don't bother mounting A2A missiles on Cobra, but the Israelis do.

They've shot down a Cessna and a UAV with A2A missiles from Apaches.

Cheers.

The A-10C is a GROUND attack aircraft. Yet it carries AIM-9's, pretty much standard. Gee, I wonder why.

And yeah, when I engage Allied ground forces on a battlefield, I WOULD expect some of those to be around.

You make it sound like there are rules in a knife fight.

Edited by 3WA

yea right, it carries them and so does the viggen, as a last resort or opportunist weapon, its not its main role,.

I'm sorry but the only posts that come from you are moaning about the shark, a lot of us have had her for ages, and while she has some problems, you don't seem aware that they are on a schedule to be fixed.

and a lot of your problems are trying to use a helicopter in a totally wrong dynamic.

as you have been told before, its a sniper, stay away from your targets...at maximum range.

the trim works just fine if you prepare, you don't just rush in to a situation then go oops.

I for only 1 has documented the wandering tgt bug, but just recently found it has stopped...for me, but itl target in bright sun no problem, if you manoeuvre better.

maybe try combined arms eh.

and yes there are rules in a knife fight, stay out of range, and don't put yourself in the wrong situation

After many, many, many hours of flying the Shark, I'm just about to give up on it. It's fun to fly at times, but in combat, about the only thing it can do is stand off at max range, and attack tanks and AAA. If you run in, it's almost as bad as air threats, as you have no armor, and it's HELL to try and lock a target while maneuvering. The only chance you have is rockets and guns with manual sights.

Another thing, when you enter the Battlefield, the enemy reacts like you are the MOST IMPORTANT TARGET on the battlefield. Similar targets seem to be almost ignored. I went back to flying the A-10 in a randomly generated mission, and 3 Su-27's instantly target me every time. THREE SU-27s! Even though there are F-16's and such closer to them. I must be ONE HELL of a THREAT!

I think this is satire.

Win 10 | i7 4770 @ 3.5GHz | 32GB DDR3 | 6 GB GTX1060

• 1 month later...

Not to be a smart ass 3WA but the reason why the KA-50 was not heavily produced is not because it was bad ...on the contrary. But because its production was scheduled to be done in the 90`s which in fact had to deal with the annihilation of the USSR .... completely screwing the military orders.

By the time everything fell back into place, its follower ...the KA-52, which is an upgrade of the KA-50 was ready for order. Hundreds of them have been contracted for various countries until the end of 2020.

This is a VERY strong and successful assault chopper. It was up to date in the 90`s, you need to keep that in mind. It is already close to 30 years ago. The newer KA-52 variant is seriously kicking ass those days. Also in the real world, choppers will not be sent where air superiority was not established. For sure, they cannot dogfight airplanes. They are built for ground attack, nothing else.