Trees are oversized

metzger

As title says. In caucasus some trees are 30- 60 meters which is equivalent of the Pisa tower in Italy for example or 20 floor building. All the trees are oversized which is very annoying for low level heli flying. It kills the sense for speed, height etc.. also buildings and objects are much more hidden behind them than it should.

In Normandy is a bit better but still most of the trees are between 20-40 meters which is still too high for that area.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As title says. In caucasus some trees are 30- 60 meters which is equivalent of the Pisa tower in Italy for example or 20 floor building. All the trees are oversized which is very annoying for low level heli flying. It kills the sense for speed, height etc.. also buildings and objects are much more hidden behind them than it should.

In Normandy is a bit better but still most of the trees are between 20-40 meters which is still too high for that area.

This was discussed in another thread and it was found that the trees are the correct height for the region.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

This was discussed in another thread and it was found that the trees are the correct height for the region.

Those are the tallest trees in France:

22.20 m Le domaine du Windeck, Ottrott Sisley 2012

20.40 m Jardin Botanique, Strasbourg Wim Brinkerink 2014

17.80 m Place of St Pierre church, quartier Carlitos, Pau

They likely haven't been in Normandy as based on DCS, all trees there are 30 meters.

And no, there are no 60 meters trees in Caucasus.

EDIT: In fact they do exist in caucasus, but more like a record and not all over the place and every single forest.

Edited by metzger

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm gessing it's a design decision. Bigger trees cover more space visualy. Smaller trees would look sparce and increasing density of smaller trees would harm performance.

I hope it is not as it really ruins helicopter experience in many cases, approaches to land, hiding targets and villages, sense of size, speed and height is all ruined. Especially in VR. I would prefer less trees but with correct size.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

This was all brought up when new Caucasus was first released and yeah it's still true. There's even a config hack (that I can't find at the moment) to make the trees smaller.

Problem is, as mentioned above, the same number of trees only half the size makes the forests very sparse. Like, DCS 1.X sparse.

I pretty quickly reverted back to unrealistically enormous trees. : (

i7 7700K @5.0, 1080Ti, 32GB DDR4, HMD Odyssey, TM WH, Crosswind Rudder...

• 2 weeks later...
I hope that scale will be fixed. This is a realistic sim, if small tree size hurts perfromance (because it means to keep density), spare them a bit, or optimize with less poligons. Every tree of 50 fts is not nearly realistic.

Not 50 feet man, in Caucasus map, the majority are 50 meters, which is 150 feet :) There are some big trees in Caucasus region but this seems a bit too much and a bit too many of them :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow this is surprising. I would suggest tweaking the rendering circles or level of detail code (LOD), to account for the scale/density correction. So clutter will thin out more quickly away from the camera point to balance the loss in performance from the increased density of correct scale trees. This was easily done in CFS3 15 years ago. I think it can be done but you have to look in the right place. A space rendering correction has to be done in one area of code, where an object scale correction is done in another.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's perfectly ordinary banter Squiffy, "Bally Jerry, pranged his kite, right in the 'how's your father.'" - Monty Python, RAF Banter Sketch.

Squiffy, a. slang. 1. Intoxicated; drunk. 2. Askew, skew-whiff. - OED

"Put that sucker in a 4G turn and keep it there!!" - Maj. Gen. "Boots" Blesse

Wow. As if the trees were the biggest problem in DCS. Fix 1000 other issues and then address the trees.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: