HTC Vive & GTX 1080 ti only getting 30 FPS

AmazingTechVR

Hey guys,

Anyone able to assist please? I'm getting very low FPS in VR.

I'm very new to DCS. Here are my specs...

i9 9900K (OC'd 4.6Ghz)

Aorus GTX 1080 ti (OC'd)

16GB DDR4 3200

I've tried to find screenshots/videos of settings for VR to compare with, but nothing is helping.

In game settings as per screenshot...

RHlPobf.png

hje1tcI.jpg

Latest drivers/firmware for everything. I know DCS is quite intensive.

Steam 100% DCS VR 1.5 = 87-90% load 30FPS

Steam 80% DCS 1.5 = 78-80% load 30FPS

Steam 80% DCS 1.3 = 90% load 30-45FPS

I just don't seem to be able to find a good refresh rate. If anyone can advise on this please?

Thanks, tried it, got error about the shader files. Plus if I wanted to play online it wont work anyway. People are telling me nobody gets above 45 FPS in VR for DCS...

I just got a beast of a gaming PC, my 1st HOTAS, purchased a couple of assets for DCS only to find it doesn't really run half decent :doh:

HTC Vive & GTX 1080 ti only getting 30 FPS

I have 9900K+RTX 2080Ti and I still see 30 FPS at times (mostly 45), typically at airports or congested areas. Turning off shadows and MSAA will increase frame rate but DCS doesn’t look good without shadows.

It’s kind of sad when I’m getting 140-190 FPS playing without VR. At least, Steam’s motion smoothing makes it playable at 30 fps although you will see motion blurring artifacts with fast moving objects. Yet, there are folks on Reddit who claimed DCS VR is smooth with their NVIDIA gtx 970 with shadows on which completely boggles my mind.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I have 9900K+RTX 2080Ti and I still see 30 FPS at times (mostly 45), typically at airports or congested areas. Turning off shadows and MSAA will increase frame rate but DCS doesn’t look good without shadows.

It’s kind of sad when I’m getting 140-190 FPS playing without VR. At least, Steam’s motion smoothing makes it playable at 30 fps although you will see motion blurring artifacts with fast moving objects. Yet, there are folks on Reddit who claimed DCS VR is smooth with their NVIDIA gtx 970 with shadows on which completely boggles my mind.

Damn that is shockingly bad. Where are you seeing your bottleneck? People tell me it's the CPU as it's single core only. My GPU is telling me it's 90% load, checking Task Manager and the CPU threads are fine.

The RTX 2080 TI cards are rediculously overpriced, so that's why I went with 1080 TI.

Thanks, tried it, got error about the shader files. Plus if I wanted to play online it wont work anyway. People are telling me nobody gets above 45 FPS in VR for DCS...

I just got a beast of a gaming PC, my 1st HOTAS, purchased a couple of assets for DCS only to find it doesn't really run half decent :doh:

I get 80-90fps with the rift on the Nevada map, even when only a few feet off the deck. That`s running a i7 4790k @4.6ghz and an RTX 2080. 1.4 PD MSAAx4, AFx16 and High VR settings + shader mod. The other maps, yeah I`ll hover above/around the 45 fps on the deck.

Lower water to medium and try dropping some of the AA x16 is alot.

When water are set to high, it enables reflection, requiring an additional dynamic texture to de rendered. It had a massive.impact when I last tested it. Dropped from 45 to 24...

In addition, I run Vive on a 1080 and I get somewhat better FPS (when playing offline).

As for the CPU shouldn't the 9900k be able to boost to 5.0 by it's own? Make sure you have "sync all cores" enabled in BIOS it helps too.

As for PD vs steamVR SS.

225% in Stream = PD 1.5 in dcs

As steam is width and height while PD is diagonal.

So you can try 225 and 1.0 as well.

looking at the resolution per eye in your screen shot... it looks like you forgot to adjust the slider in the "Video" tab of steamVR settings and check "manual override" on Video tab in the steam vr settings and it's effecting the resolution on your "Applications" tab.

stvr.JPG.fa2cc89660420bca103ae1f6d6ba6d6c.JPG

And then use either the application slider on the application tab in steamvr settings, OR the pixel density option within DCS. One or the other though not both.

also

nvpaneldcs.jpg.80df93ebd1087465a371b7008919b8b6.jpg

To the 9900K + 2080Ti getting drops to 30 fps, I'd wager there's a setting somewhere you have overlooked if not the very thing I described above. I find disabling texture filtering options in NVControl panel causes a bit of a performance hit so I just leave it at "Quality." If it's not due to some kind of overlooked setting - I'd make sure my background tasks weren't using more cpu than usual, as well as check for driver updates for all of my hardware. You can disregard this apparently if you're getting these results where there are static hornets parked (i.e. visual placeholders on the ground)

I'm running 200% supersampling in DCS and never drop below 45 fps in my odyssey with msaa x2.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.