The melons on this guy!

Notice how he increases rear rotor collective and just snaps into the attitude. Real military precision flying! <3

Edited by WildBillKelsoe
Link adjusted to YT instead of FB

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

cannot view it :)

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

cannot view it :)

link adjusted

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

" The melons on this guy!" Who says the pilot is male?

In any case, a manoeuvre like that requires plenty of team coordination, so it's not just the pilot who has to do the work...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

Yep, it's a common maneuver. The hardest part is putting the wheels where the crew chiefs are telling you. Once you get the wheels on the ground it's pretty simple. As mentioned above, this is definitely a maneuver that requires good coordination between the entire crew.

Also, there is no such thing as the rear rotor collective. The pilot was using the cyclic to do that, mostly. Along with the thrust lever, of course. Don't ask me why Chinook guys call the collective a thrust lever, separate discussion.

Yep, it's a common maneuver. The hardest part is putting the wheels where the crew chiefs are telling you. Once you get the wheels on the ground it's pretty simple.

Not a simple thing, as that is when the hard part starts.

Helicopters has the center of gravity that can exist outside of the cockpit or below the fuselage or above rotors etc. That is the challenge in its flying that in time that shifts around based the fuel consumption, it changes as well when people/cargo shifts locations in helicopter etc and you need to change your cyclic to control it. And if you load your helicopter with unbalanced weight, you might run out of the cyclic range for controlling helicopter. Like take off at the valley in calm wind with loaded cargo and end up to coast with low fuel, cargo on one end and high wind pushing and you might have be flying with very extreme cyclic capacity for some directions.

In the landings the challenges just starts, as at the moment when the skeet or wheel touches the ground, the center of gravity point shifts straight there. Your cyclic inputs changes right away, your output is transferred to new CoG point and you need to be very well prepared what input you can and must give to get you either back to hover or get landing.

Chinooks doing that rear-only landing is just there as you don't have the space to land otherwise evenly. Like on that first video of the mountain, one could think that it is easy to land on top of the ridge but it would have serious crosswinds that likely would just tip you around someway or other. So staying on one side of the ridge in more controlled windy conditions is just safer.

Getting the rear wheels locked on ground and weight off from there sounds easy and simple, but that really is when problems starts to build quickly as it is like balancing a egg in a spoon on tip if the pencil.

I consider chinook pilots more crazy than others as they are flying more unstable helicopter than others.

Like one of the most challenging engineering flight simulations that are there (IIRC it can't be done) is the main rotor and tail rotor wake turbulence and it is done "trial and error" methods. So consider what is there going on when helicopter has two large main rotors goin so close to each others, sudden CoG changes, sudden wind changes etc?

Might be common tactic to do to get people in and out in emergency situations but it is more like "no other way".

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Are they being hovered manually, or does the chinook include an automated aid to assist?

That looks seriously hard to do, particularly so if the load and weight balance is changing with people boarding.

Hats off to pilots that capable

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Firstly, this thread is about airmanship. do not bait me into a masochist or mysogynist or sexist discussion. If she did it bravo. If he did it bravo. I dont care about gender.

Second, this is very difficult. I would love to see the pilot doing it. I would shit snowcones.. If I did it.

just a question for some of you who answered to this, to me, its a darn cool manouver that looks equally as hard, ok maybe common practise for chinooks, but, are any of you guys above actual helio pilots? fly chinook? or is your arguments (in a nice way) just from the book?.....no disrespect meant just curious :)

My uncle was one of the main engineers on the Chinook, they are pretty awesome machines.

That they are, we got a good briefing on the operation of them in Afghanistan when visiting a British Chinook Squadron.

In a rescue flight one Chinook carried 200 people - I guess with no luggage- that is a lot of weight, it is surprisingly roomy in the back but they must have been packed in like sardines :)

I usually trot out a picture of the Chinook carrying the same model of car as mine, Landrover supplied a Range Rover Sport as a run-about for the display team and they carried it around with them in the back of the helicopter. But here instead is one of my son wearing an appropriate T-shirt for our visit to the base :)

azfuKvh.jpg

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Yep, it's a common maneuver. The hardest part is putting the wheels where the crew chiefs are telling you. Once you get the wheels on the ground it's pretty simple. As mentioned above, this is definitely a maneuver that requires good coordination between the entire crew.

Also, there is no such thing as the rear rotor collective. The pilot was using the cyclic to do that, mostly. Along with the thrust lever, of course. Don't ask me why Chinook guys call the collective a thrust lever, separate discussion.

Not a simple thing, as that is when the hard part starts.

I believe what A16 is talking about (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that a Chinook becomes much more stable once the aft wheels are on the ground.

There are ground proximity (squat) switches on each aft gear which perform a few functions when activated.

Of interest in this case is that the pitch axis sensitivity of the AFCS is reduced by 50% and the pitch Control Position Transducer signals to the DASH (Differential AirSpeed Hold) actuator are cancelled, which stops the DASH from trying to maintain the aircraft attitude in relation to cyclic position as it normally does in hover mode (below 40 knots).

This results in a normally stable aircraft becoming even more stable once those aft gear are 'planted' on the ground with aft cyclic. She will pretty much sit there hands-off, unless of course environmental factors conspire against you.

As discussed, this 'landing' is primarily a strong example of airmanship by the whole crew. Those aft gear are about 35 feet behind the pilot and you can't see anything behind the 10 - 2 o'clock if the armour plates are on the side windows.

A good Loadmaster/AT/FE/CE (choose your preferred country's title) will get you anywhere with his calls (and patience). :)

Cheers,

- Bear

p.s. I have no idea why Mr Boeing chose to call it a Thrust Lever....

Edited by HuggyBear
bits and pieces

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

just a question for some of you who answered to this, to me, its a darn cool manouver that looks equally as hard, ok maybe common practise for chinooks, but, are any of you guys above actual helio pilots? fly chinook? or is your arguments (in a nice way) just from the book?.....no disrespect meant just curious :)

I am not a helicopter pilot, although I have many hours flying them.

More importantly for this discussion, I am a crew chief and we routinely do this sort of thing and it takes several people working together to make it happen. But I will say that it's not always easy, it does take practice not just with the controls but with the communication required.

EDIT: I am not a Chinook crew chief nor do I have a great deal of experience with them, but everyone tells me that they are really easy to fly.

Sorry, didn't notice this question earlier.

I used to fly CH-47D (not since mid-2010) and yes she is a stable old sweetheart to fly, compared to other helicopters. The tricky part of flying a Chinook is effective management of the crew and aircraft systems.

As far as flying goes, dust landings are the hardest part, especially since she kicks up so much dust and the landing gear weren't designed for it like the Blackhawk's nice strong gear.

Pinnacle landings as shown earlier in the thread are taught in initial qualification training and are pretty easy as long as you take your time, trim her out, use your crew, and remember... Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Oh and AFCS off flight is also hard work because the tail often wants to overtake the nose. Great fun though!

Cheers,

- Bear

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

In these times you can never really know. :D

You could feel the crotch to assess if its an elevation or a depression ????

thanks guys, just as said was curious as to who done what, also makes assessing some answers easier as to who knows what, we have them land near me, just love the thump they make.

wish there were in DCS.

had a couple of V22 (osprey)come over the other day, sounded great, very similar sound,

still gotta try and get a ride in one!