Thermal Throttling on Overclocked Machines

(PG Map).

Just a quick reminder for those of us that have been enjoying unseasonably hot weather this summer.

I have had issues where I have flown a two hour mission and suddenly lost major fps on landing.

Of course I did what everyone does... Damn DCS screwed something up again.

Checked my GPU temps in Asus Tweak and found it running at 80C. I know Asus will start reducing power at around this temp and majorly at 84C, but I was seeing sudden dips in GPU use, almost by 90%. I would have expected a gradual decline. Set the GPU fans to manual 100% over auto and dropped the max temp by 5C.

Next time I ran DCS I enabled Corsair link to monitor all the hardware temps and same thing happened, lost fps on landing.

Normally do not bother monitoring my CPU temps as it is always pretty stable at 78C and have a custom throttle back setting at a conservative 90C, over stock 100C.

Looking at the logs after quitting, it seems my CPU package temp hit 90C and throttled, even though none of the individual cores did.

Perplexed I looked at room temp.... 31C. Ahh.

So just a timely reminder, if you are running your hardware hotter, with the current unseasonably summer temps in Blighty, your thermal overhead is much reduced and could be the cause of some performance problems.

As for me, I'm getting some Arctic Fox thermal paste and redoing that. Not happy with CPU hitting 90 and water only 58C.

Seems PG is much more demanding of CPU, not experiencing any problems on the other maps.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

With the water at 58°C you have a serious issue in your Loop, I'd say you need a larger radiator surface. If that is an AIO..oh well...another reason to not go AIO.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Yep. It is not optimal. It is an AIO, Corsair H80i to be exact.

Due to case design, I can only fit a 120mm rad, albeit a double pass type, with a dual fan push/pull arrangement and this is on the exhaust side of the case, with 3x intake fans. Exhaust side rad from tests on youtube only makes a couple of degrees difference overall, not a problem usually, but now I'm on the ragged edge due to outside temps.

I do need to rebuild my rig, originally went for a cheap case so I could spend more on components, its done well for 3 years, but I guess it's getting old being pushed so hard.

Currently waiting for Turing to be released... In the meantime I will try running without the case side fitted as an interim measure in this heat and see if it makes a difference....

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Looks like I need a better case, airflow is rubbish, although today's air temp is 22C.

Side of case removed, both CPU and GPU running around 60C in DCS.

Looks like I need a better case, airflow is rubbish, although today's air temp is 22C.

Side of case removed, both CPU and GPU running around 60C in DCS.

recommend corsair 400c or 270r as really good flowing relatively inexpensive cases in a nice size... and at least a 240mm rad...

here is my 400c with a 280 in it...DK1800x-3.thumb.jpg.eee9f3385f30d2ad031cc8904fe27c18.jpg

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

Thanks DfK.

Funnily enough, after reading loads of reviews, I settled on and ordered the Corsair Obsidian 750D case, so great minds think alike ect.

While I have the CC out of its little windowless cell where the missus keeps it a prisoner, I have also put right some other budgetary shortfalls in my previous build.

I have ordered the Evga SuperNova 850G3 modular PSU to replace my cheap as chips Corsair CX750. I have worked too many hours overtime to pay for the new Turing 16gb card to have it spiked by a cheap ass PSU failure.

For CPU cooling, I have gone for the Thermaltake Floe Riing 280TT AIO cooler. It has had some good reviews. It should be here tomorrow.

Was looking for a Swiftech H240, but it appears they are made of unobtainium in Blighty.

Custom cooling is way out of my budget.

Just to swap the bits over and wait for Turing to come out. Also, when it's time to update my CPU and motherboard, these new bits can be reused, so I have then got a nice leapfrog replacement thing going on.

Edited by Tinkickef

Thanks DfK.

Funnily enough, after reading loads of reviews, I settled on and ordered the Corsair Obsidian 750D case, so great minds think alike ect.

While I have the CC out of its little windowless cell where the missus keeps it a prisoner, I have also put right some other budgetary shortfalls in my previous build.

I have ordered the Evga SuperNova 850G3 modular PSU to replace my cheap as chips Corsair CX750. I have worked too many hours overtime to pay for the new Turing 16gb card to have it spiked by a cheap ass PSU failure.

For CPU cooling, I have gone for the Thermaltake Floe Riing 280TT AIO cooler. It has had some good reviews. It should be here tomorrow.

Was looking for a Swiftech H240, but it appears they are made of unobtainium in Blighty.

Custom cooling is way out of my budget.

Just to swap the bits over and wait for Turing to come out. Also, when it's time to update my CPU and motherboard, these new bits can be reused, so I have then got a nice leapfrog replacement thing going on.

Oh Man!!!... thats the big... and i mean BIG brother to the 400c... I built one up earlier this year for a client.. caught myself just gazing at it.. Lol..... beautiful case!!... make sure you get the Airflow Edition... nice choice!!

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I just got rid of my Obsidian tower case a few months ago and downsized to a Phanteks P300 with the glass. Two 140s sucking in the front through a radiator and two 120s exhausting out the back/top radiators (everything is liquid AIO cooled :P). Better airflow than my tower case and half the size :P

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

Oh Man!!!... thats the big... and i mean BIG brother to the 400c... I built one up earlier this year for a client.. caught myself just gazing at it.. Lol..... beautiful case!!... make sure you get the Airflow Edition... nice choice!!

Yep it is the airflow edition where you can see the fan intakes on the front panel.

The case just arrived. I'm looking at the box with a gimlet eye....

It's the size of a small wardrobe just about.

Was thinking about rad on front panel as intake and moving the included case fans to the top of the case as exhausts instead of having the rad as the exhaust. Bit concerned about GPU cooling then though. May just stick rad on case roof as the exhaust.

Also got some Arctic mx4 thermal grease. Not going to use the stuff that comes with the cooler.

Edited by Tinkickef

Yep it is the airflow edition where you can see the fan intakes on the front panel.

The case just arrived. I'm looking at the box with a gimlet eye....

It's the size of a small wardrobe just about.

Was thinking about rad on front panel as intake and moving the included case fans to the top of the case as exhausts instead of having the rad as the exhaust. Bit concerned about GPU cooling then though. May just stick rad on case roof as the exhaust.

Also got some Arctic mx4 thermal grease. Not going to use the stuff that comes with the cooler.

haha... small wardrobe... so,... i setup the one i built with a front mount 280mm rad.. however, there are issues with doing so... most AIO's dont have quite long enough hoses to mount the Rad to the front of the chassis and the fans in the front panel area... Instead, you can mount your fans and Rad together on the inside of the front of the chassis.. here's a crappy pic of the one i built a few month's ago... its a push/pull front mount scatter it all setup in the 750D... all 140mm fans... flowed air like a silent swooshing tornado...Thornyscomp.thumb.jpg.b59a0235b69858eb3858a0a859c4fd09.jpg

Rebuilt in the new case now. Running DCS in VR with most settings high. CPU temp hovers around 50C. Sometimes it might drop to 45 and other times it might hit 55 for a second or two.

GPU with fans at 60%.... 65C. I have them on manual at 60% as the auto setting lets the temp climb to 80C before cranking the fans higher. In the old case, fans at 100% resulted in a temp of 74C.

So.. what's in a case? A case is a case right? Hell no, lessons were learned......

DfK. As you said, that case is awesome, a real pleasure to build it. Particularly like all the snap in drive caddies and easy cable management.

Edited by Tinkickef

I reccomend fractal design R6

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Rebuilt in the new case now. Running DCS in VR with most settings high. CPU temp hovers around 50C. Sometimes it might drop to 45 and other times it might hit 55 for a second or two.

GPU with fans at 60%.... 65C. I have them on manual at 60% as the auto setting lets the temp climb to 80C before cranking the fans higher. In the old case, fans at 100% resulted in a temp of 74C.

So.. what's in a case? A case is a case right? Hell no, lessons were learned......

DfK. As you said, that case is awesome, a real pleasure to build it. Particularly like all the snap in drive caddies and easy cable management.

nice!!!... glad you got it all put together allready!!

Rebuilt in the new case now.

....cut......

:book: When you build a Gaming Rig that's supposed to run full-tilt for many hours you cannot cut corners, I guess we all learned this or will learn it along the way.

Put a fan wherever you can :D then add some water and you are ready to :pilotfly:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

There are nice air-coolers out there, using them myself from Noctua but for a gaming rig I would never consider a totally passive CPU cooler. They do work in a non full-tilt environment, I am not so sure if it works with highly overclocked and overvolted machines north of 150w.

I agree, DCS does not use 150+ Watts ( yet ), so for DCS you could give it a test, I am just not too optimistic with it.

Also, you might be able to cool the CPU w/o a fan and no water..but..how do you cool the GPU, like a 1080ti or Vega ? If those fans scream like mad you dont need to take chances with a passive cooler 1st place.

I dont get the point as a system builder, it's inconsistent in it's design.

I have the same case. I will tell you that it's the *ONLY* PC build where I didn't get a single scratch or cut while putting it together. There is just sooooo much room inside! :D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I have the same case. I will tell you that it's the *ONLY* PC build where I didn't get a single scratch or cut while putting it together. There is just sooooo much room inside! :D

Yup a fine case and the Thermaltake RGB AIO looks pretty good. Only downside is the dreaded GPU sag. Out of sight, out of mind in the old case, it has taken a pretty bad set. I made up a plastic brace to hold it straight, but the damage is done, unless it is sagging it cuts out.

Hope it's not the motherboard connectors. Means I will have to replace the board too when the new card comes out.

Again lessons were learned..... stupid design. At the time of build, I never suspected the card would sag.

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

dude, the Noctua NH-D15 beat them alll

Yeah, sorry.That was the one i thought i posted, but realise it wasn't.

Haven't seen it since install some time ago. :doh:

There are nice air-coolers out there, using them myself from Noctua but for a gaming rig I would never consider a totally passive CPU cooler. They do work in a non full-tilt environment, I am not so sure if it works with highly overclocked and overvolted machines north of 150w.

I agree, DCS does not use 150+ Watts ( yet ), so for DCS you could give it a test, I am just not too optimistic with it.

Also, you might be able to cool the CPU w/o a fan and no water..but..how do you cool the GPU, like a 1080ti or Vega ? If those fans scream like mad you dont need to take chances with a passive cooler 1st place.

I dont get the point as a system builder, it's inconsistent in it's design.

The Noctua is working fine in my rig. O/C to 4.3Mhz.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.