how to navigate waypoints

mdamstel

Hi,

I am new here on DCS World. I created a short flight mission for the Huey, consisting of 3 waypoints. May goal is just to fly these waypoints and then land back on the original airfield, to practice Huey flying. However: I dont know how I can navigate these waypoints? Do they show up somehow in the Huey and how can I select succesive waypoints in-flight?

I came across this video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJwCmeuNLIY, but there is no such map in the Huey that I know of.

Regards,

Rene

Use the maps on your kneeboard and position markers (sorry I didn't remember the key mapings for them, but they both uses 'k' and possibly a modifier, look in the keyboard mapings). That and your eyes and compass, map reading skills are good to have. That is the general way I do it.

But you also have radio beacons you can tune in to, three different radios depending on what kind of beacon. All airports I believe have a beacon nearby. But you need to read the manual for this. You can find general radio navigation tutorials around the net for more advanced use.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Use the maps on your kneeboard and position markers (sorry I didn't remember the key mapings for them, but they both uses 'k' and possibly a modifier, look in the keyboard mapings). That and your eyes and compass, map reading skills are good to have. That is the general way I do it.

But you also have radio beacons you can tune in to, three different radios depending on what kind of beacon. All airports I believe have a beacon nearby. But you need to read the manual for this. You can find general radio navigation tutorials around the net for more advanced use.

Thanks for the quick answer. I am familiar with radio navigation although I have to train to et experience again. But: I indeed found the kneeboard, with the Waypoints on the map, bu I dont see my own aircraft on the kneeboard map. So that doesnt seem too much helpful alas.

My point is: suppose I want to place waypoints where no radio beacons are, for example waypoints to navigate between mountain peaks, how do I use them?

Or am I missing something on the kneeboard map?

I guess I am spoiled with the possibilities in Prepar3D to use EFB and Garmin GNS750 etc. :-)

Edited by mdamstel

Thanks for the quick answer. I am familiar with radio navigation although I have to train to et experience again. But: I indeed found the kneeboard, with the Waypoints on the map, bu I dont see my own aircraft on the kneeboard map. So that doesnt seem too much helpful alas.

My point is: suppose I want to place waypoints where no radio beacons are, for example waypoints to navigate between mountain peaks, how do I use them?

Or am I missing something on the kneeboard map?

I guess I am spoiled with the possibilities in Prepar3D to use EFB and Garmin GNS750 etc. :-)

You have a possibility to (manualy by key combination) mark your current position on the map with an arrow pointing your heading. I don't remember the default key combo, but it includes the 'k'. Just go into the key maping and hit 'k' + different modifiers (left/right shift/ctrl/alt) and see what's coming up. I have that command maped to one of my hotas buttons.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

For some kind of real Navigation, you go to the Flightplaner take a pen and paper and plot course and distance from waypoint to waypoint. Calculate the time en route between the waypoints by using 80 knots cruise speed.

So by following your course and distance measuring while keeping 80 knots ( not 60 and not 100) :music_whistling: comparing that with time en route you find your way from one point to another.

For Backup reasons peck up some landmarks in the vicinity of the WP from the map, like Road crossings, rivers, and settlements.

If you get used to it you may add wind and wind correction angels.

Verry common is IFR in Helicopters I Follow Roads.:pilot fly:

Always happy landings ;)

The 2D NS430 offers a "lite" version of a Garmin but is missing most features other than it's GPS functions i.e. radios/VLOC aren't functional and flight plans/settings can't be saved.

AFAIK most UH-1H campaigns disable the NS430 as they expect the pilot to use visual and/or radio navigation.

However it may be suitable for your own missions as it'll import your waypoints as a flight plan.

wqoFOHR.jpg

As the NS430 is missing many features compared to other sims. and has performance issues in the Persian Gulf map, I'd advise buying it in a sale (such as the current 'Luna Sale').

Note: The 2D NS430 is not compatible with VR.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

For some kind of real Navigation, you go to the Flightplaner take a pen and paper and plot course and distance from waypoint to waypoint. Calculate the time en route between the waypoints by using 80 knots cruise speed.

So by following your course and distance measuring while keeping 80 knots ( not 60 and not 100) :music_whistling: comparing that with time en route you find your way from one point to another.

For Backup reasons peck up some landmarks in the vicinity of the WP from the map, like Road crossings, rivers, and settlements.

If you get used to it you may add wind and wind correction angels.

Verry common is IFR in Helicopters I Follow Roads.:pilot fly:

This is called nav by "Dead Reckoning."

He's absolutely right about landmarks, and getting used to looking for and using them on routes.

If there are power lines that parallel your route, rivers that you will cross, valleys, draws, saddles, all of the terrain features need to become part of your plan, and features that define your waypoints.

You are navigating "inside" the helicopter and need to start learning how to incorporate navigating "outside."

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

Have fun. Don't suck. Kill bad guys. 👍

https://discord.gg/blacksharkden/

I realize this is a good opportunity to do some advertising, if I may :music_whistling:

If you use some sort of aviation app on your phone or familiar with spoofing the GPS on it, I made a small utility to use your phone/tablet as a moving map. Independent of vehicle operated:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303310/

Guess it's a bit OT...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

I realize this is a good opportunity to do some advertising, if I may :music_whistling:

If you use some sort of aviation app on your phone or familiar with spoofing the GPS on it, I made a small utility to use your phone/tablet as a moving map. Independent of vehicle operated:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303310/

Guess it's a bit OT...

Ah, nice, this looks like Navigraph or EFB for Prepar3D.

But... I fly only VR (since a few weeks Rift S- tried triple monitor again, but it doesnt feel real enough anymore...).. so I need something in plane.

Aha, will try that.
But then you need to jump back and forth between map and flying, mind you. The kneeboard with the marker is used while flying. But I don't know how it looks in VR. Most important is that you find a way that suits you.

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Dead Reckoning is a great skill to learn and teaches you to fly precisely.Once you get the hang of it it's actually quite simple.I love using dead reckoning in the L39 . It's very satisfying to see the stop watch hit the time and you see the place you wanted to be out the cockpit window.Anyway good luck and enjoy:pilotfly:

MODULES: A10C Warthog,AH-64 D APACHE,AJS Viggen,AV8B Harrier,BF109 K4,C101 Aviojet,F14 Tomcat,F15E Eagle,F16 Viper,F5 Tiger,F86 Sabre,FA18C Hornet,FW190A8,FW190D9,I16 Ishak,JF17 Thunder,KA50 Blackshark,L39Albatros,Mirage2000C,Mirage F-1,MI24P,MI8MVT2,MIG15BIS,MIG19P,MIG21BIS,Mosquito FB VI,P51D Mustang,P47D Thunderbolt,SA342 Gazell,SpitfireIX,TF51D,UH1H Huey,Yak52.

OTHER:Flamming cliffs,Combined Arms,WW2 Assets Pack,SuperCarrier.

TERRAINS: Nevada,Caucasus,Normandy,Persian Gulf,Syria,Channel,Marianas. 

ı don't understand why they diidn't bother implementing their beatiful gps module on uh1 like they did for mi8..

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

ı don't understand why they diidn't bother implementing their beatiful gps module on uh1 like they did for mi8..

You are not alone. It would be nice to see it in VR in the Huey.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

:helpsmilie:

Guys basic flying 101. Try something like this:

1. Create a flight plan,, including waypoints that you can visually identify on the ground, and estimated time between points based on groundspeed. ,
  2. Have your map out (use the kneeboard map) and look outside at the terrain to figure out where you are. Hopefully you created a flight plan with various hand holds along the way to help you ID that you are on course. Use your watch or iphone timer to double check when you should be coming up on points. (EG if your leg was supposed to last 5 mins and you haven't found your waypoint for 15 your obviously swanning off in some wrong direction).
  3. If you need to, have your copliot fly straight and level along the route while you stare cluelessly at the map to try and figure out where you are just like every other new LT.

Pop your moms titty out of your mouth and master this basic function before moving on to more advanced methods.

Los :joystick: