Why is it So hard to land the MI 8 - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-27-2018, 10:53 PM   #11
tusler

Thanks for the Suggestions, I was on The Inferno server last night and what a blast, I did mange to land the MI 8 a few times and unload the troops in confined spaces down town and there was a few times I came down a bit hard, I'm just going to keep practicing, one area you guys hit on the nose, I'm impatient to get on the ground and when I am slowing down, I tend to start to close to the zone and too late which causes a elevator effect in altitude, it's just going to take practice and developing good habits.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:31 AM   #12
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusler View Post
Yes I agree with all the advice, I will have to put in a dedicated practice effort to master the transition to hover and landing I guess. I know one thing is with my warthog throttle it is difficult to move the collective in small increments, I watch the utube videos and see folks keeping the vsi at the 3 m/s all the way down, my control will not let me do that in its current configuration. I make a tiny movement and it translates to a to large movement in game. Thanks for the response, I'll get it eventually.
Until you get some feel for the Mi8 I'd keep Sink rate At 2 to 3 Mtr/sec above 100km/hr and 1 to 2mtr/sec below 100km/h.

This bird can quickly fall and at slower speeds you just won't have enough power to slow sink rates as the passes 5mtr/sec close to the ground.

That's about it keep sink rate in check and it's a walk in the park.
FragBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 12:52 AM   #13
Kaned Dragon

I've started doing rolling landings when the MI-8 is fully loaded. It's very good at taxiing on Grass.
When I'm getting shot at and I can't really take too much time landing, that's when the rolling landings have worked well.
But yeah can't count how many times I've crashed because I didn't pay attention to the drop rate.
When it happens I jolt it left or forward to try and get out.
When the bird is heavy it's not forgiving with regards to VRS. I gotta say it really can dance when it isn't too heavy.
So maybe try practicing with it as light as possible.
Kaned Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 01:22 AM   #14
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaned Dragon View Post
I've started doing rolling landings when the MI-8 is fully loaded. It's very good at taxiing on Grass.
When I'm getting shot at and I can't really take too much time landing, that's when the rolling landings have worked well.
But yeah can't count how many times I've crashed because I didn't pay attention to the drop rate.
When it happens I jolt it left or forward to try and get out.
When the bird is heavy it's not forgiving with regards to VRS. I gotta say it really can dance when it isn't too heavy.
So maybe try practicing with it as light as possible.
VRS here is some reading and videos, although letting sink rate exceed available power is not really VRS the result is the same.

Here

And here

Yes the Mi-8 is surprisingly spritely once you get the feel for her.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:15 PM   #15
FragBum

Just try to keep out of VRS and have fun
Old 05-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #16
fargo007

The point at which it clicked for me was discovering how much more power I had to pull in as it translated to hover from ETL.

The difference in the amount of power required to hover vs. ETL flight is quite a lot.

So as you are slowing down, right after the shudder you should be pulling a pretty decent amount of power in. Smoothly, but also quickly.

Once you can transition out of ETL to hover smoothly, landing the Mi-8 will become a joke. That's where you need to put the focus - on managing power through that transition.

Just my opinion, based on what helped me get the hang of it.

You dig rotorcraft? Training, Quals, Missions, & FUN. Ask me about joining the Black Sharks!
fargo007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:06 PM   #17
cromhunt

As mentioned above, look at your rate of fall by monitoring your variometer. Choose a downhill plate with a low drop rate and keep your parameters stabilized, the thing will settle on its own, you'll just have to adjust the collective pace to pass In stationary. And forget the VRS, a depression due to a large wing load is more common with pilots who do not respect the parameters. Depending on the weight you must choose a different attitude, so different speed and rate of fall.
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #18
lucky-hendrix

The turbine can have a lot of lag when adding power. The mistake I used to make was during the descent I would put the collective very low (<1° on the pilot collectiv angle indicator) to have the fastest descent.

But by doing that the engine output zero power, and when you transition from forward flights to hover, suddenly you need more power, bit the engine can't spool up fast enough.

I would advice keeping the collective higher than 2 when your speed is lower than 100km/h. After you get used to it you can hear when the engine is too low.

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk
lucky-hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:31 PM   #19
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargo007 View Post
The point at which it clicked for me was discovering how much more power I had to pull in as it translated to hover from ETL.

The difference in the amount of power required to hover vs. ETL flight is quite a lot.

So as you are slowing down, right after the shudder you should be pulling a pretty decent amount of power in. Smoothly, but also quickly.

Once you can transition out of ETL to hover smoothly, landing the Mi-8 will become a joke. That's where you need to put the focus - on managing power through that transition.

Just my opinion, based on what helped me get the hang of it.

This is the gotcha trap when coming in hard in the Mi8 (Huey as well) Whilst as you reduce relative speed ETL is gradually reducing you do need some additional power to maintain height. You actually gradually add power as speed is reducing just to maintain desired height.

However you are right that last bit of speed reduction as ETL drops right off requires a lot of attention to power applied. If this is not managed the sink rate tends to quickly get away on you and you find yourself at low relative speed and sinking past 5 meters/second and quickly running out of power and height.
Old 05-30-2018, 12:36 AM   #20
cromhunt

Train yourself to autorotations with engine cut, and you will find that you do not use the commands as it should.
An helicopter as long as it has sufficient rotor RPM keeps an effective sustenance. Of course it does not allow you to climb up.
However when approaching the ground you can use this energy to slow down your sink rate by making a more or less accentuated progressive flare, converting speed into lift.
Only after that you can use the collective to consume the RPM to cushion the landing.
Respect the order in which the controls are activated while approaching the ground.
If you first pull on the collective you consume RPM and you lose lift, and your collective will be less effective after.
If you make your flare too high you will not have enough speed for the lift and your sink rate will increase.
So always first the progressive flare, converting speed into lift, and only after the application of the collective.
Of course a correct altitude around 100 meters is necessary to succeed the maneuver while approaching the ground
Now you can do it with the engine running, but the differences will be less noticeable.

Who can do the more can do the least

Last edited by cromhunt; 07-11-2018 at 11:17 AM.
cromhunt is offline   Reply With Quote