RWR audio?

Sandman1330

So I've tried changing the RWR_NewThreat.sdef and added the line "pitch = 2.00" . Now the sound plays a bit more before getting cut. I'll research more into the .sdef files of other aircrafts to see if there's a parameter which changes the ADSR or playback time values of each sound. Will report back soon.

-----------------------------

UPDATE:

okay. I've added "release = 1.00" to the newthreat sound. Now the sound plays longer without a modified pitch (I can actually hear beeeepbepbepbep). The only problem now is a bad ADSR curve (because I've only added a release parameter.) I'll test each sound with some parameters such as "decay" or "sustain" to see if those parameters are supported, and add "looping" to those which are looping sounds.

---------------------------

UPDATE 2:

I've fiddled around with those settings and found a new parameter I can use in .sdef files:

-- PLAYMODE:

detached = false

-- set to true if the sound should always play the whole sample (explosions, gunshots etc.)

this parameter only has any effect on some RWR sounds, but it actually let me understand what's the problem with harrier's RWR. The sounds actually start playing every frame with the harrier. For example, instead of getting "beep-beep-beep-beep"'s when launched upon, you do get "bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb" (which is unaudible because it only gets to play a really tiny fraction of that sound which is quiet - replacing with another sound proves that point. The original launch warning sound has a tiny bit of silence in the beginning). I think i'm stumped here since I can't locate any other .lua files that modify how a sample is played back. I'll look around for a little bit more before leaving this matter to dev's hands.

--------------------------

UPDATE 3:

I've found one more file. Cockpit/Scripts/EWS/RWR_Init.lua . Most other aircraft I have has this file (sometimes named differently) with parameters designating how long does a sound play etc. (AJS even procedurally sets beep interval and frequencies using this file - AJS37->Cockpit->Scripts->RWR->Device->init.lua . Check it out it's really interesting!).

I don't know if the problem is there because our harrier is completely devoid of these parameters. A-10C seems to be missing them as well, but functions as it should even though they share the same sounds with the Harrier.

That's it from me for tonight and I hope RAZBAM someday decides to look into this issue :dunno: . I'm aware that this is an early access product but it's actually terrifying considering this has been an issue for such a long time.

I really appreciate the work your doing here; I understand RWR and countermeasures is all just placeholder for right now, but I really want to at least get the sounds working so I can improve situational awareness, until Razbam fixes things. I may have to start playing with settings as well to see if anything works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really appreciate the work your doing here; I understand RWR and countermeasures is all just placeholder for right now, but I really want to at least get the sounds working so I can improve situational awareness, until Razbam fixes things. I may have to start playing with settings as well to see if anything works

Thanks for your appreciation man. Only solution I've found is replacing the default harrier RWR sounds with other sounds which don't have a silence in the beginning (e.g, the mig-21). It still sounds bad since it tries to play the beginning fraction of the sound every frame, but at least you hear something when you get launched upon.

I don't think it would be legal to share mig-21's sounds over here. So i'll create some chirp sounds in audacity at different notes, and post them here as a zip with a folder/file structure, so you can replace your harrier's sounds with these. will be REALLY unrealistic but at least it will help us check our RWR when needed.

I have the AV8B and the M2K. At first, I thought it wasn't working, but The Mirage it definitely does, and as regards the harrier, I am not sure about AA threats. But, in a training server with friends, we've got a few TOR's setup at an airfield, and I got all the beeps from popping up, being locked and also altered to a missile launch. One thing I did make sure, to the right of the MFD, the volume switch for the RWR audio, I turn it up to max. Yet to test to see if it is AA locks that are missing/ having issues with.

I also was able to hear NewThreat sound during multiplay. I think the reason is the FPS drops during multiplayer, so the program actually gets to repeat the sound less frequently, therefore you hear a bigger fraction of the sounds.

I've managed to create some sounds which are at least audible.

The contents go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Sounds\Effects\RWR .

SAM LOCK sound is still inaudible. Don't forget to back up your original sounds folder. Be advised those are highly unrealistic beeps and boops.

https://we.tl/xXXbHGsKNf

Edited by exnihilodub
link updated

The contents go to C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Mods\aircraft\AV8BNA\Sounds\Effects\RWR .

SAM LOCK sound is still inaudible. Don't forget to back up your original sounds folder. Be advised those are highly unrealistic beeps and boops.

https://we.tl/z4KeKXzIiH

You deserve a freaking medal, amazing! I will try these out when I get home.

As for the sounds, since the RWR sounds are placeholders anyway I wonder if someone could adapt the real harrier RWR sounds eventually within this current limitation...I thought I saw an RWR sound mod somewhere at one point.

Either way I greatly appreciate the work you’ve done on this; at this point I think we all would trade realism for situational awareness since the current sounds aren’t even right anyway

Rig Specs: i7 8700k @ 5ghz, ROG Strix z390e, 32GB DDR4 3200mhz, EVGA FTW3 1080 ti, Corsair rm750, Cooler Master ml240l RGB, Cooler Master h500p mesh

https://we.tl/z4KeKXzIiH

I already made my own version of the RWR_Launch_SAM.sdef a week or so ago

wave = "/Effects/RWR/Missile_Launch_Warning_AIM"

inner_radius = 10

outer_radius = 100

detached = true

gain = 0.8

Edited by Mustang

You deserve a freaking medal, amazing! I will try these out when I get home.

As for the sounds, since the RWR sounds are placeholders anyway I wonder if someone could adapt the real harrier RWR sounds eventually within this current limitation...I thought I saw an RWR sound mod somewhere at one point.

Either way I greatly appreciate the work you’ve done on this; at this point I think we all would trade realism for situational awareness since the current sounds aren’t even right anyway

I really don't think it's possible since it only plays a very tiny fraction of the sounds. The limitation is very hindering. What you'll hear won't sound like the real harrier RWR anyway.

I already made my own version of the RWR_Launch_SAM.sdef a week or so ago

wave = "/Effects/RWR/Missile_Launch_Warning_AIM"

inner_radius = 10

outer_radius = 100

detached = true

gain = 0.8

How does this one perform? Do you hear the whole sample? or does it just layer hundreds of samples on top of each other? I'm sure I've tried the "detached" parameter and had weird results

I really don't think it's possible since it only plays a very tiny fraction of the sounds. The limitation is very hindering. What you'll hear won't sound like the real harrier RWR anyway.

How does this one perform? Do you hear the whole sample? or does it just layer hundreds of samples on top of each other? I'm sure I've tried the "detached" parameter and had weird results

Yeah it reverbs like crazy but the file I switched it for doesn't sound too bad, might have to lower the gain a little though (makes you jump outta your skin when it plays)

Here we are, another update. Please chime in when you have a chance to try it, I’ll be trying it out at some point today

It’s beyond me how things like this release with these patches and no testers catch this stuff, also nvg issues.

Not trying to defend Razbam too much here, but as a QA tester with over 5 years experience things do sometimes happen. That being said, EDs release cycle is the biggest limiting factor here, makes us have no choice but to wait for critical hotfixes.

Worth mentioning however that Open Beta does mean that we are essentially signing up for this

Worth mentioning however that Open Beta does mean that we are essentially signing up for this

We're not signing up for bugs this critical to sit untouched for months upon months... This is just bs. I guess it doesn't affect enough people for RAZBAM to consider it worth fixing, or even acknowledging...

Not trying to defend Razbam too much here, but as a QA tester with over 5 years experience things do sometimes happen. That being said, EDs release cycle is the biggest limiting factor here, makes us have no choice but to wait for critical hotfixes.

You may be right, but the RWR bug is there since at least 2017 december. And they're not updating their issues thread since then. Having no active bug acknowledgment thread is a very serious issue and will make the customers feel like the project is being abandoned. Though I also acknowledge this is an early access release and Zeus is actively responding to bug threads around the forums.

I'm not trying to bash RAZBAM here. I think the harrier is a great module and looks amazingly good. Just wanted to share my concerns.

Edited by exnihilodub

You may be right, but the RWR bug is there since at least 2017 december. And they're not updating their issues thread since then. Having no active bug acknowledgment thread is a very serious issue and will make the customers feel like the project is being abandoned. Though I also acknowledge this is an early access release and Zeus is actively responding to bug threads around the forums.

I'm not trying to bash RAZBAM here. I think the harrier is a great module and looks amazingly good. Just wanted to share my concerns.

Oh yeah, in terms of the long term RWR audio issue I think it’s totally not acceptable, especially since they won’t seem to acknowledge it.

The short term RWR being totally broken feels more like a simple mistake, but hopefully they recognize this issue while they are at it.

RAZBAM are aware of the issue guys and they are working to fix it. I personally spoke to them about it yesterday, just hang in there.

I know it seems like a simple thing to fix however its one of these coding issues that is harder than you would think to put right.

#Believe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

;3554683']RAZBAM are aware of the issue guys and they are working to fix it. I personally spoke to them about it yesterday, just hang in there.

I know it seems like a simple thing to fix however its one of these coding issues that is harder than you would think to put right.

#Believe

Maverick, are you referring to the RWR not working at all now since the update today, or the long standing issue of the RWR audio not working correctly since last December ? Just want to clarify.

Thanks

All that was needed was ONE talented person to lead us to partial rwr audio fix so we can enjoy situational awarenes to a usable degree. Shame on razbam for not doing the same looooong ago. And if it was the only issue i'd even shut up, but it is not. And a big thank to anyone who is calming us down, it actually worked for quite some moths, now it won't anymore. Bring it to the digit or put it back to fsx.

So I've been playing with .sdef settings yesterday and found out that amount of reverb is controlled with release= string, gain is self explanatory. If detached=true is used then only short audio samples work with the right amount of reverb as they don't repeat and reverb doesnt run over itself with looping. As with arount 10seconds long missile launch warning sample it goes overboard. But this one I suppose is done to repeat until missile threat is present so it could probably be done by shorting it to one or two sequence loop the most so that reverb doesn't run over multiple times, cause after i break lock i can hear only reverb ending for the whole audio sample lenght. I'll try this today late in the evening, but if anyone has time and audio knowledge to mess around I'd be happy to hear from how it came out.

Note that I've put this settings on all rwr .sdef files with only hearing new threads beep perfectly.

inner_radius = 10

outer_radius = 100

detached = true

release = 0.1

gain = 0.4

• 2 weeks later...

No sound when radar locked by SAM/aircraft?

Is it true, there is a bug where I never hear a lock sound? Only when radar missile is launched at me I get missile launch warning? (All I see is " * RWR sounds not being heard." in the "Known Issues" thread which hasn't been updated for 7 months now, and I doubt a RWR sound bugfix takes 7 months)

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence