Why is it So hard to land the MI 8 - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 05-30-2018, 07:45 AM   #21
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

lets say for discussion that youre at 35 meters in a hover and want to descend vertically. You move collective as shown over time and you periodically increase power to maintain a reducing VSI over time. The manner of moving collective is important and really takes practice. You need to observe the position outside, your ground references, and your vertical speed being reducing over time. Once youre in ground effect, start lowering collective more and relax compensation. 5 meters and lower it down even more from previous position. 3 meters even more. then lower it all the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	109
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	185676  

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
WildBillKelsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #22
FragBum

okay Ill ask the obvious question, why?

I mean I get regulating VSI or sink rate when descending which is what I do, but it's generally smoother regulation of collective and yes you can feel IGE build as you descend.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:07 AM   #23
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
okay Ill ask the obvious question, why?

I mean I get regulating VSI or sink rate when descending which is what I do, but it's generally smoother regulation of collective and yes you can feel IGE build as you descend.
why what?

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:18 AM   #24
FragBum

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillKelsoe View Post
why what?
Well the movement of collective VS height in the chart. Why so much?

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors.
FragBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:22 PM   #25
WildBillKelsoe
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FragBum View Post
Well the movement of collective VS height in the chart. Why so much?
sorry for taking long to answer. the chart is not accurate. I used it to convey that as you reduce your collective, you taper the reduction, not slice it. Meaning:

If in hover your % of collective is 100%, you drop down to 90% then immediately go back to 95%. This should "arrest" your descent or sink rate. But I am sure you already knew this. Like in hornet.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #26
Jafferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusler View Post
I love flying all the helo's including the MI 8 , I have very little difficulty landing the KA 50, the Huey or the Gazelle but when it comes to the 8 I windup chasing the VSI and it gets into VRS so easy and drops like a rock, if I try to come in and hover then land, a rolling landing is easy,but there are times when thats not possible. I am using a warthog hotas, is there special curves or a secret incantation or maybe I need one stiff drink, whats the secret?
Thanks I hate sucking at landing
You compare Motorcycles with a Bus, you know what I mean?
I had the same problem, the engine RPM drops by lowering the collective. You need to rise the collective much earlier, because if you rise it to late and to fast, you lose your rotor RPM, because the engine can't keep up fast enough. Watch decent rate and RPM.
---
Or much better.. a Gazelle compared with a Cow
With a full loaded truck you need more time to break than with a car, you know.

Last edited by Jafferson; 06-30-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Jafferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:46 PM   #27
BitMaster
Veteran

Even after years with the Mi-8....1 sleepy moment and down she goes when trying to touch down.

You need to constantly watch VSI, always, be gentle, be early in what you do and have confidence in what you do, sometimes she takes a second to react as assumed. Overdo anything and you ask for big trouble. When that happens, dive out the best you can or crash land while trying that and hope you can still extract troops and cargo, despite the broken bird and lost live.

I consider the Mi-8 being a Milk-Truck. That assumption won't lead you wrong.

DO NOT think of Ferrari's !
Asus Strix Z370-E - Intel i7-8700K@5.2G_delidded - 32GB 3000MHz - Asus 1080GTX-Ti Poseidon 2050/12006- 1x 960Evo 250GB - 2x 850Pro 256GB Raid-0 - 1 x 840 Evo 250GB PageFile - 2x Seagate 2TB - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@4x180mm fans - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" WQHD Gsync 144Hz - Oculus Rift VR - Win10Pro64 - Slave to the Machine
BitMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #28
David OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitMaster View Post
Even after years with the Mi-8....1 sleepy moment and down she goes when trying to touch down.

You need to constantly watch VSI, always, be gentle, be early in what you do and have confidence in what you do, sometimes she takes a second to react as assumed. Overdo anything and you ask for big trouble. When that happens, dive out the best you can or crash land while trying that and hope you can still extract troops and cargo, despite the broken bird and lost live.

I consider the Mi-8 being a Milk-Truck. That assumption won't lead you wrong.

DO NOT think of Ferrari's !
I do sort of like in this video, looks to be around 3 degree glide slope same as an airplane, as you come down also slow down etc.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS ROG Maximus IX Hero MB | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3466Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe
500G SSD | 2 X Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | Fractal Design R5 Case

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library. Awesome PDF guides for getting up to speed with aircraft quickly and great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing.

Last edited by David OC; 07-10-2018 at 08:00 AM.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #29
Quadg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG-51_Razor View Post

One exercise that I have found useful, is to get out on a runway at about a 100 foot hover and transition to forward flight without climbing, and accelerate to about 150KPH and then begin a deceleration back to a hover, holding that same 100 feet throughout the maneuver. It is a great coordination exercise that teaches you what to do with each one of the controls. Do this a couple of times and then go fly around for a little bit and then come back to the runway and try it again. I think you will find this a very good training exercise - in any of the helicopters available in DCS. I use it while training pilots in the real world and it is very effective.
I self taught myself the huey doing something similar.
instead of hovering at either end of the runway I did a landing. on the numbers.

a few hours of this instead of doing missions really taught me to fly helicopters.
now I do it in all the helicopters to learn them
Old 07-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #30
backspace340

Just come screaming in low to the deck, pick a point to pirouette around and then plonk yourself down. Job's a good un: https://clips.twitch.tv/DaintyMoistWaspM4xHeh
backspace340 is offline   Reply With Quote