Building a new rig, any advice?

Did the bunge cord mod to my case

It has stopped the annoying noise from the mech HD's (vibration)

Looks like there are some positives to hearing loss since I don't hear anything :D:D

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Wait for the next nVidia card release, and wait for either cannonlake or zen+. No sense buying inferior hardware right now.

I am curious about one thing though, remi. When did you buy your computer? Why not wait for the computer with the flux capacitor with 1.21 Gigawatts of power that can take us into the future where we won't ever have to worry about upgrading?

:joystick:

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

The best future proof computer is the one you will buy in 5 years :clown_2: Future proof in computers is a clown spelling.

Ok ok, of course. But I meant very near-future proof: I just want to go back simming while waiting for the next gen VR (end of this year/beginning of next), and only having to update the GPU by then.

Cheers

On a side note: what the hell is happening with PSUs? I could not find anything available (1200W) online, I am on a waiting list, with no info on foreseen delivery date from the manufacturer :(

Edited by gabgio

Nunc est bibendum, nunc pede libero pulsanda tellus

Ok ok, of course. But I meant very near-future proof: I just want to go back simming while waiting for the next gen VR (end of this year/beginning of next), and only having to update the GPU by then.

Cheers

On a side note: what the hell is happening with PSUs? I could not find anything available (1200W) online, I am on a waiting list, with no info on foreseen delivery date from the manufacturer :(

home-miners with 2-3 GPU's ?

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Grr - It's never simple.

I've just spent a while with MS and ended up with a new Key as I couldn't re-activate windows.

Now just seem to be stuck in loops trying to activate all my various modules in DCS - They show activated, but when I try and load anything - Nevada \ Normandy etc it just pops up it needs activating again

You probably need to run the registry fix for each module

Check that page https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/ and see the section

I have a serial number for the module but I can't install it via Module Manager?

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Also, if you have a lot of modules/campaigns, you can't activate them all at once. I had to

1) Activate NTTR and Normandy maps only.

2) Activated WW II asset and 3 aircrafts.

Then repeated it with 3 or so aircrafts at a time. When I tried it the first time with everything checked, nothing happened. But then again, I only waited about 5 minutes to see if something would happen. And I was too lazy to check if my DCS was talking to the server or not.

And the built-in module manager is pretty decent now. There was a time when I had to manually activate the modules using the executable in the planes /bin directory. The link above has all the details if needed.

Good luck

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

I am curious about one thing though, remi. When did you buy your computer? Why not wait for the computer with the flux capacitor with 1.21 Gigawatts of power that can take us into the future where we won't ever have to worry about upgrading?

:joystick:

I see from your signature that you decided to buy inferior hardware that is susceptible to both Meltdown and Spectre, and has severe limitation in the number of PCIe lanes. It is obvious that you decided to purchase inferior hardware compared to what will be released in the next few months. More power (Watts) to your single-generation non-upgradeable motherboard too. Smart choice! :doh:

To everyone else: do the smart thing, and wait for better Intel/AMD processors and Nvidia cards that are literally just a few months away. 2.5/Hornet aren't even released yet, you've already waited this long, what's another few months?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

right now, all cpu's are in question, incl. yours.

you cant avoid what you havent seen coming.

Hansangb, me and a few others wouldnt run this thing if we had been told before but it is as it is. dcs does very few 4k calls I hope...lol

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I see from your signature that you decided to buy inferior hardware that is susceptible to both Meltdown and Spectre, and has severe limitation in the number of PCIe lanes. It is obvious that you decided to purchase inferior hardware compared to what will be released in the next few months.

Sorry, but I am not following your reasoning. One will ALWAYS buy inferior hardware than what comes in the future. What kind of statement is this?

More power (Watts) to your single-generation non-upgradeable motherboard too. Smart choice! :doh:

?? This does not make sense. OC, SLI, and even on the current Z370 MOBOs you do need more power. Plus, the PSU is one of the components that last over two/three builds. I purchased one with a 12 years guarantee. So, it does make sense to add power (doesn't hurt anyway) and be done with it for the foreseeable future.

To everyone else: do the smart thing, and wait for better Intel/AMD processors and Nvidia cards that are literally just a few months away. 2.5/Hornet aren't even released yet, you've already waited this long, what's another few months?

This is indeed sensible. However, I 've been doing this for the last year, I'm fed up, and I do not see the value (in my case) in waiting for at least three more months. But it is a personal choice. As for spectre/meltdown, I am not at all worried, for a series of reasons.

Cheers!

Sorry, but I am not following your reasoning. One will ALWAYS buy inferior hardware than what comes in the future. What kind of statement is this?

?? This does not make sense. OC, SLI, and even on the current Z370 MOBOs you do need more power. Plus, the PSU is one of the components that last over two/three builds. I purchased one with a 12 years guarantee. So, it does make sense to add power (doesn't hurt anyway) and be done with it for the foreseeable future.

This is indeed sensible. However, I 've been doing this for the last year, I'm fed up, and I do not see the value (in my case) in waiting for at least three more months. But it is a personal choice. As for spectre/meltdown, I am not at all worried, for a series of reasons.

Cheers!

My point is that buying old hardware right before new hardware gets released is a bad idea, especially when the previous generation can't be upgraded past the 8700.

10nm parts are on the way, which means higher clocks, lower power consumption, less heat.

When someone asks in this forum, should I buy new hardware now when next gen is months away? The answer is obvious: no.

Regarding z370, take a look at the number of PCIe lanes, and you'll realize you'll be l bottlenecked with just one SSD.

Should you wait for PCIe 4.0? Probably not worth it right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dear fellows,

after years of silently following this wonderful Forum, I am posting my first message in here hoping to receive some valuable advice on my next rig.

The current situation is as follows: PC is gone for good (the reason is a story for another day..), and I am left with my monitor (VK278Q, 60Hz, 1920 x 1080), a 500 Gb Samsung Pro SSD, the Saitek X52Pro Hotas + MFG Crosswind, and a genuine will to come back flying asap.

My current wish list is

i7 8700K

MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC

32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DD4-3200 CL16 Quad Kit

Corsair Hydro Series H100i v2

2x 500Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe

1200 Watt Corsair Professional HX1200i 80+ Platinum

Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition

Win10 Home

GPU: and here is the conundrum ..

1) any advice on the GPU? I am looking to a GTX 1080 or a 1070 Ti, but may settle for something less performing until the Volta is out. This GPU would only serve me to cure my addiction until later in the year (Volta+VR), given my current monitor characteristics. I will keep playing on my current monitor (see above), and I will only join the VR bandwagon on its second generation (I've tried the current one: fantastic, but not my cup as it is now). I will probably not need a 1080 Ti (also given the sudden surge in price), as the monitor won't be up to it anyway. A 1080 or a 1070 Ti will allow me to save 200-300 Eur, which will eventually go towards the Warthog (about time to upgrade my hotas, although the X52 has served me flawlessly for more than 7 years).

I pushed the budget on components that are expected to stay with me for a longer time (PSU, Case, RAM, M2 ssd's)

2) Is this RAM ( channels and freq.) a good choice? Amount is fine, I want to get it and be done for the next few years (me hopes..)

3) My MoBo-RAM combination: anyone has experience with these two together?

4) PSU power overkill? The reasoning was to future proof towards dual GPU / VR / additional toys drawing from it; plus, price difference from 1000W is minimal)

5) Any other advice on possible choices?

Rig will be also used for video editing (amateur-level, nothing major) and professional math/engineering sw for heavy-ish simulations.

Thanks in advance guys!

Gab

People are always going to have opinions and some may even coincide with yours :) Buy your gear while you have the cash and the need, and enjoy DCS and all your other games with the best that money can buy right now I bet you won't be disappointment best of luck with your purchases :thumbup:

i5 8600k@5.2Ghz, Asus Prime A Z370, 32Gb DDR4 3000, GTX1080 SC, Oculus Rift CV1, Modded TM Warthog Modded X52 Collective, Jetseat, W10 Pro 64

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Of course, I hope my reply did not sound harsh .

Situation is what it is at the moment, somebody will accept it, somebody will wait and see. And of course, in this particular moment, I am the first to admit that waiting would be the wiser choice. But so far, nobody has ever ventured to call me a wise man biggrin.gif

Either way, no real bad choices to be made here (well, apart paying >1k € for a 1080... that is bats$$t crazy).

On a side note, I've received everything except the PSU, and they have no clue on when it will be available again, but surely not before the 13th of February!! doh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gif

I see from your signature that you decided to buy inferior hardware that is susceptible to both Meltdown and Spectre, and has severe limitation in the number of PCIe lanes. It is obvious that you decided to purchase inferior hardware compared to what will be released in the next few months. More power (Watts) to your single-generation non-upgradeable motherboard too. Smart choice! :doh:

So given that new tech is released every 12 months, you can only buy it when? +/-6 months from either release? Of course if you're one week away from new product, people should wait. But what about 3 months? 5 months? 6 months? 8 months? What is the smart threshold that applies universally?

Besides, why do I need all the PCI lanes? I use this to play DCS. I'm not doing research for the LHC. And last thought...the price of the MB is the same as a nice bottle of Scotch. Both provide enjoyment, and meant for *consumption*. I choose to consume, that's all.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

People are always going to have opinions and some may even coincide with yours :) Buy your gear while you have the cash and the need, and enjoy DCS and all your other games with the best that money can buy right now I bet you won't be disappointment best of luck with your purchases :thumbup:

:thumbup:

That right there is all that counts!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

FYI new rig Intel 8600K startling numbers, 8600k @4.5Ghz CPU load 36% GTX 1080 load 99%

DCS 1.5.7 A10-C flying Caucasus

FPS 60-85 FPS (5780x2160 - 4 screens)

graphics options maxed

ASRock Extreme4 Z370 with 4.5Ghz ‘Optimized’ OC setting & CPU “voltage offset”

16GB DDR4 - 2x8GB 3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX

Asus GTX 1080

Nvidia drivers 390.65

Nvidia Profile Inspector Antialiasing for DCS: SuperVCAA_64X_4x12

8600k CPU max load 36% (<-- not breaking a sweat at all)

8600k CPU max Volt 0.62V (<-- how about that .. stock 1.15~1.25V )

8600k CPU max Temp 47°C (<-- and this)

Asus GTX 1080 max load 99% sustained

Asus GTX 1080 max Temp 65°C

4x screens 1080p 5780x2160 (T-setup)

Thrustmaster WH, Logitech 940, PSU 750W Cooler Master

How cool is that (pun intended)

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

FYI new rig Intel 8600K startling numbers, 8600k @4.5Ghz CPU load 36% GTX 1080 load 99%

DCS 1.5.7 A10-C flying Caucasus

FPS 60-85 FPS (5780x2160 - 4 screens)

graphics options maxed

ASRock Extreme4 Z370 with 4.5Ghz ‘Optimized’ OC setting & CPU “voltage offset”

16GB DDR4 - 2x8GB 3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX

Asus GTX 1080

Nvidia drivers 390.65

Nvidia Profile Inspector Antialiasing for DCS: SuperVCAA_64X_4x12

8600k CPU max load 36%

8600k CPU max Volt 0.62V

8600k CPU max Temp 47°C

Asus GTX 1080 max load 99% sustained

Asus GTX 1080 max Temp 65°C

4x screens 1080p 5780x2160 (T-setup)

Thrustmaster WH, Logitech 940, PSU 750W Cooler Master

How cool is that (pun intended)

Nice! How do you cool it?

Nice! How do you cool it?

Cheap aftermarket 30euro 'best buy'

ARCTIC Freezer i32

(changed the 3 pin fan to the 4pin PWM Cooler Master fan from my old 2500K box)

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |