autopliot

Jimbo1606688299

Is the auto pilot implemented yet ?

If so can someone please explain its use ,Button selections and functions, fine trimming is ok but not suitable for sustained level flight but would love to be able to set AP whilst utilising the Nav systems. Thanks

This aircraft has not autopilot, it uses flight director, that is in the main panel on the right below

I'm also interested on how to to use the flight director. If you had more infos, it would be great ! Thanks !

Im afraid we have to wait for the full manual

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My DCS Mods, Skins, Utilities and Scripts

| Windows 10 | i7-4790K | GTX 980Ti Hybrid | 32GB RAM | 3TB SSD |

| TM Warthog Stick | CH Pro Throttle + Pro Pedal | TIR5 Pro | TM MFD Cougar | Gun Camera: PrtScn |

There's a thread on the flight computer/director here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=137969

I would also recommend trying out Uboats training missions which include navigation and ILS landing, with use of the flight computer. Those can be found here: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=137969

It's also simple enough you can figure it out with trial and error:

HDG -
flight director vertical needle follows the heading marker on the HDI

V/L
- flight director follows the VOR or TACAN nav system

G/S
- flight directory follows the ILS beam, provided that the VOR/ILS radio is tuned to the correct frequency.

G/S Extended
- Haven't tried this one out.

SBY
- Standby mode. Flight director is off.

ALT -
Flight director holds to the current altitude

REV -
Reverse ILS mode. Not tried this one out

PAT -
Pitch mode. Again, not sure about this one.

APP ARM -
appears to work in VOR navigation mode, and automatically flips over to Glide Slope mode, from whatever mode it is in, when you enter the ILS beam.

Go Around
- Not sure, but I think this directs you around to take another pass at the ILS approach.

Some modes can be used at the same time - like V/L and Alt

Modes don't seem to be toggled on and off, they have to be over-written, or you can always hit standby mode, and re-program the director from scratch.

Feel free to fill in the gaps here :)

Edited by Vedexent

must be doing something wrong

I fly level

press APP ARM

select HDG or HDG and ALT

yet it just wallows off course as if is not recognising selection

yes red lit on APP ARM as does the yellow for desired selection ?

what am I missing

Edit hang on maybe im understanding this incorrect

The Flight director doesn't make flight corrections for you its just an advisory of course

where as a autopilot will fly the AC for you...is this where im going wrong.

I was assuming if I changed the heading bug the ac will fly to the bug , but is it more that the Flight director bars will indicate my desired turn too point I need to steer to?

Edited by "Jimbo"

Hi,

Yes - you need to actually "fly" the flight director. It will tell you what you need to do, and how much. If you ignore it, nothing bad will happen.

Depending on the situation, the bars will auto-hide.

The roll bar is flown by rolling towards it until it is centered. The pitch bar is flown until it is centered (covering the "wings" of the "aircraft" in the middle of the ADI).

Best regards,

Tango.

EDIT: I'm assuming here you're trying to make an ILS landing, as you're selecting APP ARM.

I think that:

a) You need the VOR/ILS radio to be on and tuned to the runway's ILS frequency.

b) You need to be be in VOR navigation mode (the TAC/VOR toggle square button to the right of the NAV button - front panel, left of center, near the bottom, over the round gauge).

c) You need the flight director to be on V/L mode, not HDG. If you put it in HDG mode, the flight director is following the heading marker on your HDI (the one which in manually set by you, via the heading knob, not the plane's heading), not the VOR radio navigation system

----

EDIT: and yes, as per Tango's post, you have to chase the bars - it's not an autopilot, it's just telling you how to steer.

Edited by Vedexent

Rodgy , that now makes perfect sense , I was anticipating a fully functional AP but now I understand the proper use . Thankyou both for clearing that up. Well I guess its time to tweak my hotas to suit flying on fine trim.

Brilliant I love old school flying by the gauges, this just gets better a fresh and new approach to DCS.

THX