Spamraams - Hornet

Guppy

Really strange A/A configuration.. a great A/A power.

However I think that 2 AIM-9 or other IR missile should always be loaded.. sometimes the enemy is able to keep near You and so You should have all the fire solutions.

At the end, correct me if I'm wrong, If an F-18 plan to stay in the air for a long time since it has so much AIM-120 it should load 2 ext tanker.

So the powerest real A/A configuration could be: 2 Tanker - 6 AIM-120 (MRM) - 2 AIM-9 (SRM)

Edited by Joker69°

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

In reality it should be possible to carry 10 AIM-120C on the Hornet, am I correct ?

Correct. Eight under the wings and two on conformal stations or whatever the armpits are called. :D Can't recall.

Really strange A/A configuration.. a great A/A power.

However I think that 2 AIM-9 or other IR missile should always be loaded.. sometimes the enemy is able to keep near You and so You should have all the fire solutions.

At the end, correct me if I'm wrong, If an F-18 plan to stay in the air for a long time since it has so much AIM-120 it should load 2 ext tanker.

So the powerest real A/A configuration could be: 2 Tanker - 6 AIM-120 (MRM) - 2 AIM-9 (SRM)

It depends on the flight profile, but in pure A-A role I'd use 6x AIM-120 on the inner pylons and armpits, 2x AIM-9M/-9X on the tips and a centerline tank, with outer pylons removed. If you loiter a lot, I'd guess the two-tank config could indeed be reasonable, but the weight/drag penalty offsets some of the added fuel. I am under impression that the config of three external tanks makes little sense for any reasonable combat flight profile.

I'd figure completely removing the outer pylons, and carrying a single centerline tank can give almost similar combat endurance to having the twin LAU-127s under the outer pylons and two external tanks under the inner ones. Again, it certainly depends.

Edited by AKarhu

Yes, I agree with you.. 3 external tanks are only for NAV transfer. When You are in A/A Mode You need zero, 1 or 2 tanks depending of NM and time you plan to stay in the sky..

6 MRM and 2 SRM as maximum A/A Power. Obviously in case of problems you can always eject the tanks and have a fighter with much more ACM capability.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/139168989452694/about/

ASUS ROG - TM Hotas Warthog - TM Hotas Cougar - TM F-18 Grip - Oculus Rift S - Track IR 5

Swiss and Finnish Hornets do have foldable wings, which country had that version?
I don't think Spanish version features foldable wing tips. Don't know anyway if they are fixed or not. Anyway, don't recall haven't seen a Spanish Hornet carrying a tip Amraam, what doesn't mean they aren't able.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

And of course, while I don't think it has anything to do with the wingtip AMRAAMs, having the wing fold mechanism inoperable doesn't really speak much at all about the structure of the wing. Anyways, at least the wing fold handle is in place in Spanish Hornets - or has been - by quickly searching up some photos.

will still be great if we can get up to 10 Amrams with those add on launchers ( even if it cant carrry wingtips) :D

FA-18_Hornet_VX-4_with_10_AMRAAM.jpg

FmjJAqz.gif

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

And of course, while I don't think it has anything to do with the wingtip AMRAAMs, having the wing fold mechanism inoperable doesn't really speak much at all about the structure of the wing. Anyways, at least the wing fold handle is in place in Spanish Hornets - or has been - by quickly searching up some photos.
You're right I remember some pics back in the day, like 1986-87, when Hornet first arrived of some Spanish Hornet featuring folded wings. Since then and bearing in mind they are fully ground operated and plenty of room, I don't recall having seen any more pics on the subject (though some more Hornets were bought later featuring naval items). Don't really know if the system is still there or not, but since they don't use it it may well have been fixed/reinforced in the latter overhauled versions. Still don't recall having seen them using Amraams, AFAIK Spanish Air Force have it though.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

You're right I remember some pics back in the day, like 1986-87, when Hornet first arrived of some Spanish Hornet featuring folded wings. Since then and bearing in mind they are fully ground operated and plenty of room, I don't recall having seen any more pics on the subject (though some more Hornets were bought later featuring naval items). Don't really know if the system is still there or not, but since they don't use it it may well have been fixed/reinforced in the latter overhauled versions. Still don't recall having seen them using Amraams, AFAIK Spanish Air Force have it though.

S!

Swiss and Finnish AF actually benefit from the wing fold, as both employ underground aircraft facilities, originally dimensioned, I'd guess, for Mirage III (Switzerland) or MiG-21/Draken (Finland).

The wing fold mechanism itself is quite an elaborate part of the wing structure, not sure how simple it would be to strengthen the wing in overall even if it was disabled. Anyways, I don't think the wing fold feature itself is really related at all to the tip launcher capability.

I asked Wags in a life stream some time ago if we will be able to have twin pylons for example to load 10 slammers and he said "Yes!"

He did then though point out that you can already see aim9x on twin pylons in his videos so not 100% sure if he was more responding to the twin pylons than the slammer load.

4790K@4,6Ghz | EVGA Z97 Classified | 32GB @ 2400Mhz | Titan X hydro copper| SSD 850 PRO

Moments in DCS:

--> https://www.youtube.com/user/weltensegLA

-->

WELD's cockpit: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=92274

Heh, better hope you fire half of them off before you get to the merge.

:lol:

Well, this is where the "game balance" concern gets answered for all the people that somehow manage to not regard DCS as a sim.

Bluefor is being handicapped by enabling a loadout that provides an irresistible temptation for many players to try dogfighting with as much mass and drag as they can possibly pile onto their plane.

It should be a godsend for Redfor flyers, . . .

as soon as they manage to break the habit of trying to superglue extra R-27 ER/ETs onto their Sukhois.

• Like 1

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

• 1 month later...
Yeah - as far as I can gather, a dual AMRAAM pylon assembly weighs something like a 1000 pounds each.

LAU-115C+Dual LAU-127 = 294 lbs

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

1x BRU-32 (76 lbs)

1x LAU-115C (120 lbs)

2x LAU-127(2x 87 = 174 lbs)

2x AIM-120(2x 335 = 670 lbs)

76 + 120 + 174 + 670 = 1040 lbs

if you want to go that route,

you forgot the weight of the SUU-79, and the AIM-120C Warheads

So:

1x SUU-79 = 350

1x BRU/32 = 79

1x LAU-115C = 120

2X LAU-127A = 87 * 2 = 174

2x AIM-120C = 348 or 356 w/ Warhead depending on Block, we'll assume Block IV or Newer so 356 * 2 = 712

So, Grand total Of: 1435 lbs

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs