Any clue as to how the next generation of VR headsets will improve over the current?

WelshZeCorgi

The Pimax 4K is already out:

http://www.pimaxvr.com/4k/

Downsides are 60hz instead of 90hz, no positional tracking (only pitch/yaw/roll and drifts after a while), and not a low-latency display so more significant ghosting, but it's 2K per eye.

There's a 8K version in development, but no word on when that might release.

The thing that's holding high-res VR back right now is graphics cards. Even the fastest cards nowadays can barely maintain 90hz with any sort of graphics-heavy content. Upping the resolution doesn't make sense if the cards can't keep up. I think that the next version we're going to see from the big VR companies is a wireless headset with better ergonomics. Significantly higher resolution headsets is still several years out, I'm afraid.

LG's upcoming HMD looks pretty rad more of a gen1.5 if you will... slightly higher res (may increase more), Lighthouse tracking and controllers similar to Vive's, with ergonomics that are improved version of PSVR

Gameface floundered, went back to the drawing board and now look to have something promising soon, higher res, Lighthouse tracking, stand-alone use, https://www.engadget.com/2017/07/17/gameface-labs-vr/

Current high end cards and well built computers actually have no problem keeping up on the fps in current gen VR, the problem is devs can't count on people having that nice of machines on average but a bit more resolution even right now today is perfectly achievable for today's higher spec'd machines.

As soon as eye tracking is allowing foveated rendering however, there will be an overnight increase in screen resolution which will happen long before raw computing would be powerful enough to render full screens at that res. Samsung is working on new displays with very high res and super tiny pixel pitch that industry will be able to take advantage of soon.

Any HMD that doesn't meet the minimum requirements for 'low persistence' is not a contender, which is what the 90hz min req is about. Likewise any HMD that doesn't also have rock solid 6dof tracking is also not a contender either.

True 'next gen' HMD will be

-wireless

-stereoscopic passthrough cameras likely with inside-out tracking

-AR capabilities

-eye tracking/foveated rendering

-much higher resolution displays

-integrated gloveless hand tracking

Might not all make it in the next gen, but this is where it is heading and at least some of those features will be in gen2 offerings.

But probably 2 years out. I for one could never go back to 3X monitor TrackIR setup.

I'm counting on foveated view solving the need to have a super computer to run 4K per eye with very low latency. It's how our eyes work, so why reinvent the wheel!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

As much as I'd like better tech this games main event loop is the singular limiter of performance.

Until that's fixed bigger more complex vr games will crush dcs. CPU is what you need more then anything right now for this engine and will probably need for the foreseeable future.

And foveated rendering. LOL lemme know when that appears on EDs radar because I have a suspicion it will be on par with there sli focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I'd like better tech this games main event loop is the singular limiter of performance.

Until that's fixed bigger more complex vr games will crush dcs. CPU is what you need more then anything right now for this engine and will probably need for the foreseeable future.

And foveated rendering. LOL lemme know when that appears on EDs radar because I have a suspicion it will be on par with there sli focus.

I have no idea what you said but think this thread will be moved soon.

Biggest limiter to me, I dont want to play multi player, get more dynamic.

I'd like to see a wider FOV and better performance before increasing the resolution. I'm pretty content with the latter at the moment.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

Foveated rendering would not be done by ED or a feature that requires them to do anything special on their end. Headsets equipped with eye tracking that are set up it (and the pc's they're plugged into) are what does the work, all ED would need to do is support the raw resolution in VR.

More FoV will definitely be nice, but even limited to 100deg gives you a lot more to look at even than triple monitor since everywhere you look you still have that 100deg. Still though, actual peripheral vision would be pretty nice. It's also another thing tied to increased resolution capacity so relevant to foveated rendering. Both are a matter of pushing pixels more efficiently then current pc technology can with brute force.

I'd like to see a wider FOV and better performance before increasing the resolution. I'm pretty content with the latter at the moment.

Interesting, as I feel completely the opposite. I would very much like better resolution over anything else like FOV or wireless or any of that. Obviously the performance aspect will be tied to res anyway - hence I would like to see eye tracking etc also.

The FOV never really bothered me at all, prob as I have ridden bikes for so long so am used to wearing a helmet with a slightly limited FOV anyway. But I think the benefits of better resolution over a slightly wider FOV are not even comparable. But hey just IMHO.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Foveated rendering would not be done by ED or a feature that requires them to do anything special on their end. Headsets equipped with eye tracking that are set up it (and the pc's they're plugged into) are what does the work, all ED would need to do is support the raw resolution in VR..

Umm you do have to code for it.

Umm you do have to code for it.

Well that wold throw a big bucket of water on it happening anything soon if that's the case. I couldn't find anything definitive on the subject when searching though did find some references about lighting and shading becoming a challenge, which at least hints there's more to it than I initially thought.

FOVeated rendering could be done on the graphics card. If the focal point is known all the graphics card would need to do is render that area at high resolution and everything else at lower resolutions. Having less pixels to render would deliver large performance increases. I don't really get why GPU manufacturers haven't already implemented it with fixed areas of focus (until eye tracking comes into play).

As suggested above, if we get foveated rendering, my understanding is that we need accurate eye tracking. That then massively reduces the workload on the GPU, assuming present pixel density.

So my hope is:

- Wider field of view

- Eye tracking

- Quadruple the level of pixels

- Lighter weight

- Did read something about some near special VR rendering capabilities on the higher end Nvidia cards, so that would be nice to have implemented too

Sounds like we're heading in that direction, so I'm hopeful for next year.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.