new(?) night vision goggles not sharp

Hekktor

With 2.5 HF3 I just realized new(?) NVG optics.

I am just not able to get a clear view inside the cockpit - all instruments except the hud symbols blurry.

Also it is very hard to find a setting where the instruments (hud, mfds) are not to bright but the nvg does enhance outside light enough to be useful.

This all with deferred shading on.

With 2.5 HF3 I just realized new(?) NVG optics.

I am just not able to get a clear view inside the cockpit - all instruments except the hud symbols blurry.

Also it is very hard to find a setting where the instruments (hud, mfds) are not to bright but the nvg does enhance outside light enough to be useful.

This all with deferred shading on.

Hey Hekktor. This is intended. You can find a german video by Rakuzard explaining the new stuff. To keep it short the pilots focus their NVG's to infinity to get a clear outside view and view of the HUD which is also focused for infinity. The blurry look is intended and the internal lights (MWS, ECM f.e.) are not working with the NVGs. For that reason you have a wider field of view which is not covered by the NVG optics and where you can read all displays.

• Like 1

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK, so it seems to be wip the whole thing with deferred shading on. With DS on you get a new NVG. Much smaller but maybe more realistic fov. But unfortunately one is not able to read any instrument with it (bug or feature?).

So atm for night ops I have to switch of deferred shading.

Hope they will fix that soon.

OK, than that's not a bug but a feature... But can we plz get a more modern pair? NVG capable MFD's should be readable:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuC4sf-X78g

Snoopy should know the details better but I would expect the A-10C suite ED model is at it is.

Remember the famous german anti-Isis Tornados incapable of using their NVG's in the cockpit? This was how long ago? :music_whistling:

As long as we dont get a new suite I would not expect features that were not in place in the corresponding version.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Cockpit instruments are only readable through NVGs if you focus them for the distance the instruments are away, in which case everything outside of th cockpit would be out of focus.

NVGs are used focused to infinity for viewing the outside world, cockpit instruments are viewed by looking under the NVGs.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

OK, than that's not a bug but a feature... But can we plz get a more modern pair? NVG capable MFD's should be readable:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuC4sf-X78g

Sorry Hekktor, this vid just proves Eddie correct. Once the helicopter is in the air there are basically three kinds of shots, shots out the windows showing only the world outside the a/c, tight shots of the left seater, and super tight shots of an EIS type display. You will notice they never pan from one of these shots to the other. This is because like Eddie said, they had to refocus the NVGs between each shot.

Further proof, notice at 1:22 when the camera passes the aircraft’s airframe. The world outside is nice and clear, but the A-pillar close to the camera is super blurry. Same thing happens at 1:44, outside of the one instrument the NVGs were focused on everything else is blurry.

The MFDs and NVGs play together just fine, but only if the pilot chooses to focus the NVGs on them, which makes the world outside the cockpit a blurry mess. Just like FSKRipper said, the reason pilot NVGs don’t have eye cups is so the pilot can look “under” them at the instruments, kind of like using bifocals. NVGs for use by ground troops have eye cups to hide the back glow of the NVGs from observation.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Cockpit instruments are only readable through NVGs if you focus them for the distance the instruments are away, in which case everything outside of th cockpit would be out of focus.

NVGs are used focused to infinity for viewing the outside world, cockpit instruments are viewed by looking under the NVGs.

How do you suggest we do this in VR where the NVGs take up the whole screen?

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

How do you suggest we do this in VR where the NVGs take up the whole screen?

You don’t, ED need to sort it for VR, it shouldn’t cover the entire FoV.

Spoiler

Intel 13900K (5Ghz), 64Gb 6400Mhz, MSi RTX 3090, Schiit Modi/Magi DAC/AMP, ASUS PG43UQ, Hotas Warthog, RealSimulator FSSB3, 2x TM MFDs + DCS MFDs, MFG Crosswinds, Elgato Steamdeck XL

With a modern pair of NVG you can perfectly read all your instruments and no, you do not need to refocus. As you can see in the vid I posted above.

But I got it, some sort of realism effect they wanted to introduce. I might even like it when - and this is the big if - they get the floodlight back to work. ATM I hardly can find a switch and since I can't "misuse" my NVGs instead, my night sorties are reduced to zero.

Let's see how all this plays in the release version.

Maybe it really will be as gigantic as it promises to be atm :)

What manufacturer and model of NVGs are you referring to? I have yet to see or hear of any model that has the ability to autofocus, but of course I would be interested to read about something new. Also, even if they exist now they didn't when the A10C rolled out.

Lastly, the video above shows no such thing, you can see them NOT refocusing themselves at the times I pointed out in a post in this thread above.

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

The flood lights would be a great help for cockpit setup for night ops.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus MOBO||Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core, 24 Thread Processor || MSI GTX 1070Ti 8GB GPU OverClocked || 32GB GSKILL DDR4 RAM @3600 || Samsung 1TB SSD || Samsung 250GB SSD || WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD || WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD || Thermaltake ToughPower GF1 850W PS || Thermaltake Tower || Windows 10 Pro 64bit || Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar sticks, throttles and MFDs || Saitek Rudder Pedals || Trackir 5 ||

With a modern pair of NVG you can perfectly read all your instruments and no, you do not need to refocus. As you can see in the vid I posted above.

But I got it, some sort of realism effect they wanted to introduce. I might even like it when - and this is the big if - they get the floodlight back to work. ATM I hardly can find a switch and since I can't "misuse" my NVGs instead, my night sorties are reduced to zero.

Yes I would also really like to know which manufacturer and which model of NVG you are referring to.

As it was explained to you the video is edited, you don't see any smooth transitions from inside to outside and back, only cuts. It doesn't work without refocus.

Look at video 1 0:40. This is how blurry the internal parts look when the NVG is focused for outside view. And yes this are state of the art devices at least for civilian usage (the same as in video 2).

Edited by FSKRipper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

this!

Which model(s) NVDs have you used with autofocus or a DoF that wide?

None of the current NVDs I’ve used do, in fact the model we use on Typhoon has fixed focus at infinity which cannot be adjusted.

Spoiler

With a modern pair of NVG you can perfectly read all your instruments..

Not true. Or prove it.

I am also using a VERY good NVGs (variant of the ANVIS9) on a daily (actually "nightly") basis ... I've never heard about auto-focus system. If is does exist, please tell us what manufacturer and what models ... I will be happy to submit them to my commandment.

Edited by Dee-Jay

The Focus Shift you see in all these Youtube Videos is the actual Camera that is recording's Auto-Focus..

Not the NVG.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

So, how would one go about reading the cockpit instruments with NVGs on? I understand all the comments about the focus, and it all makes perfect sense to have it focused to infinity rather than two feet in front of you. Just pop them off when you need to see something, or...? Really just curious how the blur would be handled in real life.

Auto-focus would be very hazardous anyway, because not instantaneous, not necessarily always perfectly precise (what would be the target reference?), and would kill our eyes or give headache quite rapidly. Certainly not an option for aeronautic (pilot) usage.

Finally somebody gets it. Most of my Nikon lenses are autofocus enabled. It is a mechanical process and is fast enough for most photography situations but certainly not suitable for real time reactions.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup: