New Rift S User here, Need setup tips!

OnlyforDCS

Hi everyone, Im late to the party just got the Rift S yesterday. Had a LOT of trouble setting it up but finally managed to get it to work and I gotta say it feels like a gamechanger.....BUT....

I really need some help setting it up properly, Im on the latest Beta of DCS World and my specs are in the signature. If someone with similar specs can help me out that would be great. So here goes:

How do I set up ASW properly?

How do I check whether ASW is working? (How do I check FPS in VR)

How do I setup touch controllers to "hit" the switches? (they work but I cant seem to hit anything)

What are the graphics settings which affect the performance in VR the most, any tips and suggestions are welcome...

Why does the world look so "washed out" compared to the look on the monitor? Can this be affected?

Oculus Rift Tray Tool? Tips on its use?

And any other general comments, tips would be much appreciated. Actually Im surprised that VR works so well, but so far Ive only tried it in the L39 and the Spitfire in singleplayer.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

One other thing, using the Oculus Software Center (Or whatever its called) I cant find a page or tab with proper display options. The only things I did find was IPD distance and a setting that chooses whether the output is set for "performance" or "quality". Also, when I run DCS World I had to enable an option in the Oculus software that enables unsupported third party apps with the Rift S. Is that normal?

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

For ASW use CTRL+Keypad 1 to 4, use default key to check FPS (dont't remember...)

Never used touch controllers; my mouse is just right to the stick.

Start with the "VR" settings; for wath i know, shadows are frame killers

Try to set your gamma value for limit the washed out effect

I use Oculus Tray tool to set supersampling to 1.2, and limit fps to 40

Set "performances" in the oculus software center; is it normal to enable unsupported third party apps with the Rift S

Sorry for my english

Thanks topo will try some of that.

What about using the Oculus Touch controllers? Either Im doing something wrong or they dont work as advertised.

Thanks topo will try some of that.

What about using the Oculus Touch controllers? Either Im doing something wrong or they dont work as advertised.

I personally found it to be too cumbersome.

I assigned the mouse functions to buttons on my HOTAS in the UI Layer of controller setup.

Same place you set re-center view and the two levels of VR Zoom.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

How do I set up ASW properly? Oculus Tray Tool.

How do I check whether ASW is working? (How do I check FPS in VR): Use ingame FPS counter (LCTRL+PAUSE).

How do I setup touch controllers to "hit" the switches? (they work but I cant seem to hit anything): Leave them alone and use the mouse.

What are the graphics settings which affect the performance in VR the most, any tips and suggestions are welcome...

- MSAA in game: play around with it a bit (all others to 0, you can set Anisotropic Filtering to anything you like).

- IPD settings in game: set to 1.0 and use OTT instead (make a profile for every game you use, if you use stable and open beta side by side, you can set up 2 different profiles

- Shadows take a hugh hit!!

You can play around with the settings for your graphic card (driver part) but you'll notice it won't do much in VR.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Ok, thanks for those tips. Ive got a few more questions:

How do you guys deal with the fogging on the S? Im having pretty large issues with this, I guess my face is quite hot? Is there some kind of "hardware" mod I can do, like drilling a hole somewhere?

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Another question regarding the Oculus Tray Tool. Is there are a guide to using it somewhere? Specifically Im wondering how to set ASW to 40 instead of the default 45 or Auto?

No need to set it to 40. If you select 45 it will output 40 instead, it will halve the max refreshrate of the device.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

No need to set it to 40. If you select 45 it will output 40 instead, it will halve the max refreshrate of the device.

Ah, okay thanks.

I personally found it to be too cumbersome.

I assigned the mouse functions to buttons on my HOTAS in the UI Layer of controller setup.

Same place you set re-center view and the two levels of VR Zoom.

The default key for centering my view I figured out was Numpad5. Where can I change the VR zoom buttons? In DCS itself?

The default key for centering my view I figured out was Numpad5. Where can I change the VR zoom buttons? In DCS itself?

Yes, you can find them under UI.

Edited by RealPhoenix
Missing quote

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Phoenix

F-16C

i7-8700K, Z370, 32GB DDR4-2400MHz, GTX 1080, FSSB R3L, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD's, Windows 10 Pro, Oculus Rift S

If you use TrackIR for 2D flight make the VR center the same key stroke(s) then the TIR one, you can then use the same button for re-centering weither you're in 2D or VR.

Ok, thanks for those tips. Ive got a few more questions:

How do you guys deal with the fogging on the S? Im having pretty large issues with this, I guess my face is quite hot? Is there some kind of "hardware" mod I can do, like drilling a hole somewhere?

A small desk fan does it for me....

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

A small desk fan does it for me....

+1 a small USB fan right between the monitor and keyboard.

It obviously depends on where you are based but that cheap fan could solve the issue.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Another question regarding the Oculus Tray Tool. Is there are a guide to using it somewhere? Specifically Im wondering how to set ASW to 40 instead of the default 45 or Auto?

40 for Rift S is perfectly fine.

I don´t know what settings is, but I usually press "LCtrl + NumPad3" when in cockpit, and that removes the "double image" effect whenever I move my head.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

40 for Rift S is perfectly fine.

I don´t know what settings is, but I usually press "LCtrl + NumPad3" when in cockpit, and that removes the "double image" effect whenever I move my head.

Yeah Ive had this happen to me yesterday, one mission was fine in another mission and I saw the double/shimmering image of objects outside the cockpit at times.

Does this happen when the graphics card can't push the frames for continuous 40FPS ASW?

No, it's a side effect of ASW. The faster the object moves, the more ghosting you have. In the OTT you have to option to lock the FPS at 45 (becomes 40 in the Rift S) without ASW. Then there is no ghosting.

Yeah Ive had this happen to me yesterday, one mission was fine in another mission and I saw the double/shimmering image of objects outside the cockpit at times.

Does this happen when the graphics card can't push the frames for continuous 40FPS ASW?

No, it's a side effect of ASW. The faster the object moves, the more ghosting you have. In the OTT you have to option to lock the FPS at 45 (becomes 40 in the Rift S) without ASW. Then there is no ghosting.

I think these are three different issues.

When your head is static, you get a decent, focused image. Then you turn around and move to the other side of the front panel, and while your head is moving, the image doubles, blurries and is back to normal once you stop.

In my system it´s solved by Ctrl+NumPad3.

With that activated, if I press F3 for external fly-by view, the scenery looks fine but the aircraft is ghosting.

Third issue, if very low fps are achieved, edges of 3D objects become distorted, blurried.

In my system it´s solved by Ctrl+NumPad3.

Any idea then what CTRL+NumP3 actually does besides solving it? I'm pretty sure it turns off ASW.

Hmmm. Interesting. I did exactly that, used OTT to set FPS to 45 and ghosting did appear at times. It's probably user error on my part, or something strange is going on with DCS with regards to how it handles its own application settings or outside settings.

Any idea then what CTRL+NumP3 actually does besides solving it? I'm pretty sure it turns off ASW.

It could be, never looked into it ;) Looks bad on F3 external view but other than that it´s the setting which better fits my setup.

When simracing I prefer CTRL+NumP4 though.

Below are Oculus ASW settings:

Control-Numpad1: Disables ASW and returns to the standard rendering mode.

Control-Numpad2: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW disabled. Depending on the application, you are likely to experience judder.

Control-Numpad3: Forces apps to 45Hz with ASW enabled. Enabling and disabling ASW will help you see the effects of ASW.

Control-Numpad4: Enables ASW. ASW will automatically turn on and off, depending on whether the app maintains a 90Hz frame rate. This will be the default rendering mode when ASW is officially enabled in the runtime.

For Rift S, the referenced HZ would be 80/40 rather than 90/45.

You can use either the keyboard shortcuts above, or the Oculus Tray Tool with a profile for the game, to set ASW status.

You can also set it in the Oculus Debug Tool, however this setting will be global.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

There is always some ghosting, the flybys is best example. The ASW is adding in frames to keep things smooth but can't predict the fast movement correctly so there is ghosting. Just gonna happen with ASW.

Same thing with edges of wing/weapons when taxi

There are a few examples, I find you get used to it and isn't that noticeable most of the time. Until we can run VR at 90fps+ natively it will always be there.

Probably not for a while. I'll be interested to see how close it is with the new gen graphics cards.