Hornet update? - Page 17 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #161
sorcer3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by razo+r View Post
well, in DCS we only have two coalitions right now so...
which is another reason to wait for a more appropriate IFF implementation.
Old 06-13-2018, 03:30 PM   #162
TwanV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcer3r View Post
If I fly the mirage with IFF = Off (or maybe IFF is damaged) it will still show clients in my coalition that I am friendly.

What follows is that contacts not shown as friendly are 100% hostile. And that is not as it works in real life.
Also, as far as I'm aware IFF is only used above friendly territory to avoid any (traceable) unwanted emissions. Build SA with AWACS, that's what they're there for

Last edited by TwanV; 06-13-2018 at 03:34 PM.
TwanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #163
Wags
ED Team

We will first implement a simplified IFF system because it's something we can do in the near term. We hoped to have it available this week, but there was a holiday in Russia this week and it moved our schedule back a bit. Also, our avionics and flight model team has been working crazy hours for the past two months and they need a break.

Later, we hope to implement a much more realistic IFF system, but that will take much more time. Not just because of the rather complex avionics changes and additions (much more complex than most of you appreciate), but also because it will need to involve a rather extensive change to the AI.

Thanks

i7 6700K, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1080ti, Windows 10, 1TB SSD, TM Hornet stick and Warthog throttle, and Track IR 5 with default settings.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:32 PM   #164
Sandman1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcer3r View Post
If I fly the mirage with IFF = Off (or maybe IFF is damaged) it will still show clients in my coalition that I am friendly.

What follows is that contacts not shown as friendly are 100% hostile. And that is not as it works in real life.
And I've already identified the off / damaged scenario as unrealistic, but this isn't game breaking.

It does, however, allow people to game the system - with no civilian aircraft to worry about and only 2 coalitions, people don't have to utilize the proper procedures when an IFF interrogation is returned negative. But that's a people problem, not a problem with DCS.

Aside from the off / damaged / no transponder scenario, which probably will be corrected as we move out of EA, the system is modeled fairly realistically.

As I've now clearly dragged this thread off topic, I'm done
R5 1600X @ 4Ghz / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3 / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 (@2933... for now) / Samsung 960 Evo M.2 / Saitek X55 / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Rift CV1

Last edited by Sandman1330; 06-13-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Sandman1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:33 PM   #165
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by =4c=Nikola View Post
Actually, there is third coalition in DCS. It's disabled in ME.

Btw, I do not see any improvement on flight model and flight controls model.
There should be changes in behavior when cycling from Flaps in Auto up to Full extendend.
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #166
falcon_120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
We will first implement a simplified IFF system because it's something we can do in the near term. We hoped to have it available this week, but there was a holiday in Russia this week and it moved our schedule back a bit. Also, our avionics and flight model team has been working crazy hours for the past two months and they need a break.

Later, we hope to implement a much more realistic IFF system, but that will take much more time. Not just because of the rather complex avionics changes and additions (much more complex than most of you appreciate), but also because it will need to involve a rather extensive change to the AI.

Thanks
Thanks Wags, it seems like a good plan for the short/medium term.
falcon_120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:41 PM   #167
SCU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post

Thanks
As always, thanks for the updates. All the best for the team and their well-being and peace of mind is much more important than what I wish for a game, their work is very appreciated!
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #168
kobeshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post
And I've already identified the off / damaged scenario as unrealistic, but this isn't game breaking.

It does, however, allow people to game the system - with no civilian aircraft to worry about and only 2 coalitions, people don't have to utilize the proper procedures when an IFF interrogation is returned negative. But that's a people problem, not a problem with DCS.

You say all the right things but come to the wrong conclusion, how is that a people problem? It's a system problem.
A people problem would be DCS having a realistic IFF simulation but people ignoring it and shooting negative returns without care.

"DCS World is the main public build, it has nothing to do with being stable" -Bignewy
kobeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #169
donkeyrider

The remove pylon feature has been implemented!
donkeyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #170
sorcer3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman1330 View Post

Aside from the off / damaged / no transponder scenario, which probably will be corrected as we move out of EA, the system is modeled fairly realistically.

As I've now clearly dragged this thread off topic, I'm done
It is a problem of DCS because in DCS a negative response means contact is hostile which is not what it means in real life. Yes you can still follow your procedures but then we can also play with labels on full and still follow our procedures.

That people heavily requested the FC3 Iff for the F18 and also for the DCS Mirage shows IMO that at least on PvP servers most clients are in "game mode". ( i am not against game mode but it sould be separated )

I am not sure if we well get a better IFF when EA is over. It sounds more like "dedicated server two weeks" .