[Guide] How to make DCS download updates on a separate drive - ED Forums

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 03:23 PM   #1
Shadow KT

Default [Guide] How to make DCS download updates on a separate drive

To who ever has issues with space on their SSD when updating DCS

What you will have to do is create a symbolic junction, which in simple terms means, creating an image folder on your DCS drive which points to a different drive. This way the game will see the files where they should be, but their physical location will be on another drive. This is perfect for downloads as they are temporary files which is only used while updating. If you try to split your DCS like this you will only degrade your performance.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/1622...dows-or-linux/

Here is a nice guide explaining stuff in simple terms.

1. Copy your "_downloads" folder (from the main DCS directory) and paste it on a drive you wish

2. Go back to your DCS directory and delete your "_downloads" folder. (You can combine steps 1 and 2 with the "cut" function)

3. Open the Start Menu and type "cmd" in the search bar, right click on "Command Prompt" and select "Run as an Administrator"

4. type: mklink /J "C:*path to your dcs "_downloads" folder" "D:*path to where you want the "_downloads" folder's content to be stored"

If successful you should see a message say "Junction created for..."

Here is an example how it was setup for me

mklink /J "C:\Games\DCS World OpenBeta" "D:\Games\DCS\_downloads"

Refresh your DCS directory and you should see the folder back there with a small icon in its bottom left corner.

Don't worry if you mess up something, nothing happens, you can just delete that folder and you destroy the link.

Cheers !

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days
Shadow KT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #2
Rudel_chw

Thanks a lot, very useful ... I will try it out with tomorrow's update
Cheers,
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #3
Shadow KT

Tell me how it goes, your folder should end up looking like this, with the small icon on the bottom left

Old 06-13-2018, 04:15 PM   #4
Rudel_chw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow KT View Post
Tell me how it goes ...

Its working fine .. hadnt realized that it was already wendsday ... its downloading into the relocated folder.

I knew already how to create junctions, and currently use them for Liveries and Mission files ... just never thought about using one for the temporary downloads

Best regards
Rudel_chw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM   #5
BlacleyCole

Using this technique I expect several folders like doc can also move like that I would like to know what folders besides the unused mods can some one list which folder are not normally used during gameplay like the mission editor etc? What are these folders that can be moved off the ssd and will not effect game play.

I may look into building a mod that copies the mods that you are not using to another drive it will allow you to manually select the folders. On you ssd drive make a copy to another drive do the link and and you do this prior to entering dcs this will minimize your dcs footprint on the ssd and if you decide to fly a different aircraftjust just move the folder back to the ssd and move the other aircraft to the storage drive. Eventually I hope to build a system sIMilar to SkateZilla ‘s dcs updater. It could work like ovgme for folder removals where ovgme enable mods either temporary or permanently.

New FlightSim Blog coming at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. It in the wip phase now. I’ll be reviewing both the hardware and software to include mods on a weekly bases once setup. I’m way in the rears at this point.
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:07 AM   #6
Shadow KT

Sorry, can't help you with that. I don't have such information as to what is used when.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
FistofZen+
Posting Rights Suspended

Will try this out on the next Wednesday. Thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #8
HiJack
Veteran

I guess this can get your update in trouble if you use the same folder for different installations of DCS if you have. Only one installation should be fine, just to be aware.

Spoiler:

ASUS Z97-PRO, Socket-1150
Intel® Core i7-4770K Processor overclocked to @ 4.20 GHz
32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133MHz CL9 4x8GB
Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
Samsung SSD 850PRO 1TB SSD
WD 2TB Black 3,5", SATA64MB Cache, Dual Processor, 7200RPM
Windows 7 64-bit
Philips 40" 4K LED BDM4065UC, ASUS 27” and Dell 24” screens
HiJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:59 PM   #9
Gman109

I'm going to try this out myself, I have a 256gb 960m.2 drive I have DCS and just Windows and associated other productivity type stuff on installed on right now(swapped some drives around), and I've found recently that I ran out of space during an update with my DCS install - I have every module except the Russian transport helo, and every map/WW2/whatever, and my folder size is 130gb.

Anyhow, going to try this out, very interested in being able to pawn off installs on my regular SSD or even my Black WD spinner drives. Thanks for posting this, later today I'll try it out on my primary DCS system.

2 sys- 8700k/1080ti SLI/ z370/32GB RGB 3200/eVGA 1300PSU/Raid0 960 pros/2x1Tb Evo SSDs/W.D. 4gb Black/ROG 27" IPS 165hz G.
1 sys - 6850/Titan XP/Strix x99/32GB Gskill/eVGA 1300psu/950m.2/2x1TB Evo SSD/W.D. 4gb Blk/Rog Swift 34" 100hz LCD Gsync
Primary HOTAS:
1 VKB Gfighter MCG Pro, 1 Gfighter MCG, 1 Mk1 Gfighter/MCG, Virpil T50 (x2), TM Warthogs (x3), TM Cougar, CH Fighter/Combat, Saitek X65/X55, VKB peds, Slaw 109 peds, MFG Xwinds, CH peds, Saitek Cbt peds

VR-Riftx3
Gman109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
Shadow KT

Tell me how it goes