Tactics against F-14B / AIM-54

Weasel0815

Unless you want AIM-9X's to never hit, I don't think you want combat reliability rates modelled.

Since when are just a meager 2 known real world launches a statistically large enough sample to make such a bold statement with regards to judging its reliability?

And as an FYI out of the two examples, one did hit its target.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

The real problem with aim54 is in the multiplayer. The lag doesn't allow you to take the maneuver at the correct timing. For example, if you pull a high g with j11a before 1 bar you're actually already dead but you haven't been notified yet.

Long time ago (FC2) the aim 54 couldn't pull so much g, but now it appears to be capable of tracking targets pulling 9g, therefore, now your evasive timing against the aim 54 has to be extremely accurate, also you must pull while being at best cornering speed. I believe the 54 will be fixed sooner or later as it doesn't seem to lose much speed while turning, and it actually taking an illogical turn for its speed and shape, the coanda effect wont be able to hold an object that heavy moving that fast with such small control surfaces.

For the time being consider it a fast amraam and try to account for the lag, turn 2 seconds before the appropriate timing or what ever timing that works with your connection.

Not joke question: Is it possible to shoot down the missile?

It does work against Mavs and HARMs so maybe you can shoot down a phoenix.

Plenty of videos have shown it is possible. Not an easy task though.

System: Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo / Ryzen 5900X / 128gb Trident Z 3600mHz / ASUS TUF X570 / Lian Li Galahad 360 AIO / Asus Tuf RTX 3080ti / Asus Rog 1000w PSU / TM Warthog + TM Pedals

Modules/Terrains: All but the Mig-19, MB-339, P-47, I-16, CE II, and Yak-52

IRL: USAF F-16C AGR Crew Chief / Private Pilot

Not joke question: Is it possible to shoot down the missile?

It does work against Mavs and HARMs so maybe you can shoot down a phoenix.

Yes it is. AIM-120 in visual mode and AIM-9X with boresight mode in the Hornet, ET or 73 in longitudinal or vertical scan mode, I've tried that against any SAM too succesfully. You have to be quick with a strong nerves lol. Its harder and almost guarantee death if the enemy spams you with more than one missile thou.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

Flying in F/A-18C against a F-14 with AIM-54? Use your AIM-9X, fly straight to missiles and launch AIM-9X at them to destroy them in the air. You have more AIM-9X than they have Phoenix missiles and you can get close and just kill them.

No notching, no chaff, no flare... Fly straight at them!

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

${1}

And if you use JHMS and you know from where the missile is coming at you, you can spot it at the good time and launch a AIM-9X well off-axis and still destroy the missiles, while you keep pressing straight at the bogey.

There is nothing in AIM-54 that threatens a F/A-18C.

I haven't tested it on Su-27S or MiG-29S with R-73 and HMS, but you don't get same crazy loadout as Hornet does and you don't hear missile seeker tone as in hornet, as you have 4-5 seconds window to launch counter missile after tone.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.