Please make the game support IP change finally.

D4n

This is VERY annoying problem where ISPs switch IP adresses every 24 hours when we for example JUST took off from the airfield in DCS and were about to engage an enemy player and BAAAAAM MENU, DISCONNECTED. GREAT. An auto-DCS-masterserver reconnect is the least we're asking for.

- No it's not controlled by my router. I asked my ISP, it's them (making it "harder" for users to host servers on their PCs).

better netcode function would basically look like this (see page 13 for the exact details):

after new IP my/our client(s) directly connect(s) back into the aircraft on the multiplayer server I was/we were in, with the following 12 values/strings auto-load from RAM (from moment of disconnect, or let's say 250 ms before disconnect, DCS could "update" the "live" values every 250ms in RAM and stop updating the moment the disconnect occurs, then take value from second to last dataset), to load these values upon reconnecting to the gameserver:

- player slot - IF still available on auto-reconnect, ELSE cancel the load-operation (I guess player slot is a number datatype?)

- client aircraft position (string?)

- with heading (number)

- altitude (number, feet?)

- speed (number, knots?)

- pitch orientation (number)

- roll orientation (number)

- yaw orientation (number)

- cockpit configuration (which switches on/off/neutral)

- weapons load (string?)

- systems damage (number or string datatypes I guess)

- player score data (only a few numbers/strings)

other games (examples are Battlefield 3, 4, 1, most other games today)support it, after 5-10 seconds of lag, the game will go on. wink.gif

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here in Germany you get mostly forced IP changes through the ISP. Mostly between 11PM and 2AM. And we have no access to such settings.

Modules: Well... all of 'em

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero | CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 | GPU: GTX TITAN X (Maxwell) | SSD1: 256GB NVMe SSD System | SSD2: 250GB Games | HDD 4TB WD Red

...you get mostly forced IP changes through the ISP. Mostly between 11PM and 2AM...
Just curious; What's the reason of that?

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Just curious; What's the reason of that?

That is just how some ISP work.

In modern era, where the dial-up modems are long dead, reasons are usually:

1. Distinction between consumer and professional users. Consumer has dynamic IP, if you want static - pay for it.

2. Dynamic IP ISP Policy is used as a prevention for running servers on a consumer package, forcing users to pay for professional service, but also ensuring lower bandwidth usage from consumer-level users.

3. Dynamic IP solves many problems in setting up a general wide area network from ISP point of view. Not able to explain better, since that specific part is not well covered in my know-to-do list.

Hope that answers your question :)

Don't ask, here's the answer: 95% of my posts are edited because I have OCD.

IP change on the fly? :huh:

The way I know it, you will loose your entire internet connection for a moment, because the router needs to reconnect.

Here in Germany you get mostly forced IP changes through the ISP. Mostly between 11PM and 2AM. And we have no access to such settings.

I think I did set the time in my router by myself, but I'm not sure though. It's been years ago and can't check right now.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• ED Team

My dynamic IP change resets my router, nothing can be done about that as far as I know?

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My dynamic IP change resets my router, nothing can be done about that as far as I know?

Exactly, that's what I meant.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

"There is no rule, law or limitation saying that the ISP has to allow current connections to complete or expire before switching IP addresses on you." Some Forum

BTW - I was unaware of this problem for people playing DCS. It sounds horrible... But given the amount of things that need to be synced on a DCS server and regarding the latency, no way that they can do anything reasonable to prolong time that you're allowed for reconnect when you're online on a multiplayer server, especially when it comes to router reset/reaquire_new_leased_IP. That takes for what - 30 seconds? Imagine the DCS server trying to figure/fix up that kind of desync. Just too much for this kind of a game. You don't need "allow IP change", you just need longer time allowed by DCS to reconnect when server "loses you". You basically DO lose connection...

Jeez, I feel so sorry for ya mate :/

Edited by Pitot

Exactly! The problem is THOUGH, after this IP change (btw taking 5-10 seconds only here) that even the DCS server browser is EMPTY and refresh doesn't show any servers... (due to current DCS net code I believe), so I also have to completely restart the game to get back in. So that would be the first step in a better netcode, or directly make it possible that after new IP my client directly connects back into the aircraft on the multiplayer server I was in, with the position, speed, heading, weapons, fuel status and aircraft settings (lights on, engine RPM etc for example) saved.

Oh and just fyi, this IS technically possible, new games like Battlefield 3 and 4 support it, after 5-10 seconds of lag, the game will go on like nothing happened. ;)

Edited by DanielNL
DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Dude...

1. Recalculating 10 seconds in BF is not the same amount of work for the server as in DCS.

2. The nature of this sim is such that you disappearing for 10 seconds and reappearing is screwing up the whole concept, while in FPS games it does not really matter, because game lags you around until you reconnect or someone puts a bullet in your skull.

No point in wasting time on implementing such things in DCS where people have massive issues for a small latency problems or a bit of warping and lagging.

3. Yes, you could solve that by rewriting the code so that it can identify you as "owner" of the object (your plane) in the game when you reconnect. That is a LOT OF WORK. Even so, the game (DCS) would have to lock your controls at the last user input recieved and you'd end up dead in 70-90% of cases either by smashing the ground/stalling or by being killed by an active player/AI/SAM.

There is no justification to waste enormous amount of time to rewrite the code to achieve that. Just my 2 cents.

the DCS server browser is EMPTY and refresh doesn't show any servers... (due to current DCS net code I believe)

No, it is because you are not connected to internet, even if your router light is blinking/stable.

so I also have to completely restart the game to get back in.

I've had ISP changing my IP randomly, resseting their hardware (which disconnects me from the network) and other various reasons to loose my connection while in DCS and after few refreshes - the server list appears. Either you haven't tried, or there IS a workaround so you don't have to restart DCS to see the list again.

Oh and just fyi (...) ;)

I hate when people here assume others are stupid and don't know something without even asking, while they don't seem to stop to think about consequences of implementation of their "DCS Grail" solution. I know it wasn't in bad intention, but still - sounds bad. ;)

Edited by Pitot

• ED Team

my router takes 30 - 60 seconds to get a new ip so you are lucky.

This is not so much a bug, more of a feature request.

I will move it, and the devs can consider it.

edit: moved to wish list

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

There is no way to change a Consumers IP Address without resetting their connection,

When they trigger the change, it's likely a 3 step process

Terminate Connection

Refresh IP

Re-Connect

At a Local DHCP Server Level.

Some software wont notice as it only pings whatever server every few minutes if ever when not in use, you tube will play whatever video is buffered until a connection is re-established.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

pfff....It seems that i am not a victim.:shocking: I feel sorry for you guys.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

No point in wasting time on implementing such things in DCS where people have massive issues for a small latency problems or a bit of warping and lagging.

There is no warping/lag AT ALL anymore since last DCS patch!!! :D (At least not on OP Blue Flag server)

3. Yes, you could solve that by rewriting the code so that it can identify you as "owner" of the object (your plane) in the game when you reconnect. That is a LOT OF WORK.

I don't think so... max 30-50 lines of code I'd guess tbh... :P

Even so, the game (DCS) would have to lock your controls at the last user input recieved and you'd end up dead in 70-90% of cases either by smashing the ground/stalling or by being killed by an active player/AI/SAM.

That is not true, I mostly fly with autopilot on if not engaged, and barely get into SAM ranges when I play. SO, MAX 5-10 % chance sth. would happen to my plane during 10 seconds of no-input-change...

Thx very much Bignewy!

You, you, you. Not a way to discuss a change that globally affect players - you must agree. Yes, warping is finally gone, and now some of us want a feature that will make new problems... My conetxt was "few seconds make a big problem and you want to increase it to ten". :) Personal opinion - bad idea. I respect your opinion and see your reasons tho'.

The game client of the player would just need to make a request to the server if client looses connection, then client would automatically send some kind of ID (to know which aircraft slot) and player would be back at the position in the air where he had last position/connection... But yes, Pitot, has to be implemented without affecting server stability too much! ;) :P

How Long does it take for a Modem and Router to Reboot and Refresh it's IP with he DHCP Server?

By that point you'd likely be a lawn dart or shot down.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

What's "lawn dart" ?

Taking 5-10 seconds for me here (I'd say 5 seconds). :)

My router isn't rebooting, just "applying" the new IP :P

• ED Team

A lawn dart is the name given to any aircraft that goes nose into the ground.

the point is the time it takes for the router to reset anything could happen to the aircraft

"Could", exactly, but mostly when after take off towards the AO there nothing will happen... :P (Unless GCI spots an enemy aircraft close) So I suggest the client aircraft shall just continue it's flight and get shot down if the client doesn't connect in time anymore.

"Could", exactly, but mostly when after take off towards the AO there nothing will happen... :P (Unless GCI spots an enemy aircraft close) So I suggest the client aircraft shall just continue it's flight and get shot down if the client doesn't connect in time anymore.

Are you sure, that you can't set the time when this should happen in your router? That's how I know it.

Tornado3 small.jpg