A-10c story time

FrancisIsHere

Okay, I've got one:

Flying in an MP scenario I spawn in a cold-starting A-10C. Back then I loved the dark green 'euro'-camo liveries. It were simpler times back then and I was proud of - you know - having a bit of a basic grasp on most of the stuff on board. By far not all of it, but I tried.

I knew that good planning sometimes is the key to success, so I took my time to set everything up. Connected the ground power, get everything running. Setting the profiles on the ol' DSMS to fit my needs. Two GBU-38s as special surprises through that thick overcast. Some rockets for a low pass. Ripple fire and all. Now, that GPS-guided shenanigans doesn't do any good without knowing where to put them, so it was over to the 'big box' and programming my custom waypoints. Route in, both target points, proper route home. Takes a while when you're not that proficient with it.

Anyway, about time to start the engines up. Power on over to the generators. Disconnect ground power. Everything looking good. Get clearance. Active runway means I got to go around once, but no biggy. I taxi on over to the threshold and wait for take-off clearance.

All the warning lights come up. Fire left, fire right, hydraulics, generator failure... Turns out some [difficult chap] in a Hawk (that was a thing then!) thought that A-10C waiting there would make for some great cannon practice. Hard to tell if they're friendlies when they seem to take off from the exact same field as you do, I guess...

Lesson I took away from this: some days you just shouldn't give a damn. Start 'er up, firewall the throttle and worry about the little details on the way. Because when you take your time to prepare properly, well, some moron is going to ruin it all for you anyway.