Datalink?

Airhunter

Does the F-14 datalink work with a russian AWACS or E-3 or does it have to be an E-2? Freq. for the russian A-50 is set to 321 but the Datalink in the Tomcat does not seem to work.

It works with the E3. Ask yourself, why should it work with a russian A-50?

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Maybe because Iran AF could potentially use A-50 ? :unsure:

Or maybe because Ukraine is default blue coalition?

Especially for you guys: No, it doesn't work and is not intended to do so. Iranian Tomcats were also never able to link up with russian build Awacs.

Imagine, they will need the american build equipment for data processing and secure transmission. Additionaly they will need the keys which change on a daily basis (for the blue side).

@Zayets: When the Tomcat flew the Ukraine was pretty sure in the red coalition :music_whistling:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@Zayets: When the Tomcat flew the Ukraine was pretty sure in the red coalition :music_whistling:

Yet here we are, playing F14B with Ukraine on the blue side. Wasn't even a country per se (edit: back then, of course). Don't be so serious. Is just a game :pilotfly:

Edited by Zayets

[sIGPIC]OK[/sIGPIC]

;3856737']It works with both E3 and E2.

:thumbup: but...

How I can use it in correct way?

I tried to use it yesterday with E2, but didn't find any differences in fighting procces compare with the fighting procces when I didn't set it as host.

In F-14B Jester's menu I choose as Data link host the E2. Set correct frequency in my radio to contact with E2. I could hear the messages from E2. Could send requests and got answers.

That's all. Where and what I should see in case I have data link connection with E2 as host?

For example, our opponents were on J-11 and had E2 as AWACS too. They didn't use their radars (only optical) and saw all targets (it was our team) on MDF.

In F-14B if I turn radar to "silence mode" I don't see any targets until AIM-9M catch them with own head (or I have visual contact).

So, are the any recommendations or procedures how to use data link on F-14B correctly for A2A combat?

P.S. I use data link for automatic carrier landing system and it works perfect. :thumbup:

Edited by kievbsm

When you're datalinked to a source you should see lower half symbology on your TID, whereas your own radar contacts only show upper half.

Set the datalink frequency to the value found in the kneeboard and push the DL switch forward. That's all that should be required.

This has nothing to do with voice radios (hear messages, send requests, get answers) but a panel on the RIO right console, near the front.

... but a panel on the RIO right console, near the front.

Thank you!

But if I fly in MP mission as a single pilot with Jester as RIO - I have not access to RIO cockpit :(

In this case, the DL between E2 and me is not available to me?

Thank you!

But if I fly in MP mission as a single pilot with Jester as RIO - I have not access to RIO cockpit :(

In this case, the DL between E2 and me is not available to me?

Yes it is. Just get jester to set e2 as host. Remember though the awacs isnt an all seeing eye. Targets may be masked from it.

Oh, thank you so much, pilots!

And one more question but not exactly about DL but about AWACS: is there a difference in how AWACS finds and defines targets when it is E2 or E3?

I mean, is E3 better than E2 or are they the same in their capabilities?