DCS F-14 Update: JESTER AI Behind the Scenes Recording & Multicrew

Cobra847

I just hope those joyeous ejeculations ''Ohh Splash bandit, NICE'' don't make the cut or just happen really, really seldomly. I know, its just a tiny moment from many hours of recording, still this particular vibe of expressing an air-to-air kill sounds too bloodthirsty for my taste.

Really?! I mean you are aware we talk about a life and death combat situation.

What do you think is the attitude of a person who's life is just threatened by someone else?

Just listen to boxers before a match... And that is basically a friendly competition!

We need to realize that things like emotion and adrenaline are a reality even in combat. You can't just switch that off.

You can be professional enough to not let them control you, but of course the guy in the backseat is happy to be still alive, after the killer in that other plane is dispatched and no longer a threat to his future?

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a great process to get a lot of variety in responses for Jester! I just hope those joyeous ejeculations ''Ohh Splash bandit, NICE'' don't make the cut or just happen really, really seldomly. I know, its just a tiny moment from many hours of recording, still this particular vibe of expressing an air-to-air kill sounds too bloodthirsty for my taste.

+1

Really?! I mean you are aware we talk about a life and death combat situation.

What do you think is the attitude of a person who's life is just threatened by someone else?

Just listen to boxers before a match... And that is basically a friendly competition!

We need to realize that things like emotion and adrenaline are a reality even in combat. You can't just switch that off.

You can be professional enough to not let them control you, but of course the guy in the backseat is happy to be still alive, after the killer in that other plane is dispatched and no longer a threat to his future?

While some of your opinion is correct, I would leave out the comparisons to sporting events and trash talk, it does not happen in a dogfight. Personally, I prefer the professional tone with maybe a touch of urgency in hairy situations. Personal preference is all. I would like to see the voices distorted a little to simulate the mask and radio interference rather than studio quality vocals as well. Just my lowly opinion. In the end it will be what it will be and we will adapt.

<Salute>

Punk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Dudes chill. this is all very much WiP. Of course there's going to be distortion filters over the sounds to add a mask and crappy intercom. Of course it won't be all hollywood "yeehaw!" nor will it be like a robot, which imo is awesome.

I for one want the more colourful stuff in there. Even if it is a tad more colourful than a RL experienced RIO would be.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

"turn and burn baby", "the worm has turned" "common, lock up baby" "i got him locked", "do some of that pilot shit" "showtime!"

you can take many of them from 1994 "us navy fighters"

wqdLJ7FY8VY

Edited by SandMartin

Мой youtube канал Группа в VK 

IBM x3200 Tower, i7 9700k, Asus Z390-P, HyperX Fury DDR4 2x16Gb 3466 Mhz, HyperX Savage 480Gb SSD, Asus RTX3070 Dual OC 8G, 32" Asus PG329Q, Creative Sound Blaster AE-5, HyperX Cloud Alpha + Pulsefire FPS Pro + Alloy FPS brown, Track IR 4 PRO + Clip Pro, Warhog HOTAS + CH Pro Pedal + есть руль Logitech G25

Bring back the USNFs music. :megalol:

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Looks like a great process to get a lot of variety in responses for Jester! I just hope those joyeous ejeculations ''Ohh Splash bandit, NICE'' don't make the cut or just happen really, really seldomly. I know, its just a tiny moment from many hours of recording, still this particular vibe of expressing an air-to-air kill sounds too bloodthirsty for my taste.

Not trying to belittle your hard work, just giving feedback about what i would feel fits or what might get annoying pretty quickly. Will we have like a 3 options checkbox letting us choose ''our'' particular type of Jester? Like option 1.) only proffesional and down to earth tone of speaking, 2.) a bit of fun put in the mix, 3.) joyous, crazy, exited 16year old Jester? :)

+1 I too hope that its limited to valid information during the flight. Hearing GOOD KILL or AWESOME SPLASH!!! over and over will get grating quick if you are say flying a training mission or flying with friends etc.

I always loved how Falcon 4 used the Master Arm on etc from the F14 kills in the intro.

Edited by HawkDCS

Rig: 5960X @ 4.5GHZ 32GB 3000Mhz DDR4 Titan XP Dell 3415W 21:9 Thrustmaster Warthog

"turn and burn baby", "the worm has turned" "common, lock up baby" "i got him locked", "do some of that pilot shit" "showtime!"

you can take many of them from 1994 "us navy fighters"

Ah! My first combat flight sim and some of my fondest childhood memories! :D

Played it with this beast of a stick: quickshot-warrior-5-plus-vintage-joystick-gamep.jpg

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

+1

While some of your opinion is correct, I would leave out the comparisons to sporting events and trash talk, it does not happen in a dogfight. Personally, I prefer the professional tone with maybe a touch of urgency in hairy situations. Personal preference is all. I would like to see the voices distorted a little to simulate the mask and radio interference rather than studio quality vocals as well. Just my lowly opinion. In the end it will be what it will be and we will adapt.

<Salute>

This is just a raw recording session.

The RIO voice is post processed (as seen in the Valley Run video)

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

+1

<Salute>

That wasn't meant as a comparison in terms of "similarity". I wanted to point out people get very emotional and aggressive when under adrenaline, even if it isn't a life and death situation.

I am sure in the actual fight/stress, we will rarely have "unnecessary" shouts, but when the immediate threat is gone and the last bandit defeated, it is very human to feel the adrenaline wash out, and the built up tension breaks its way in a verbal form...

I agree, though, this isn't something I want to hear while the wingman of that other guy is maneuvering for my six! The only important things are aspect, distance and threat assessment at that point.

But after the threat is gone, an elated shout of joy to have survived/defeated the a-hole that just tried to kill you, is adding a very human and personal touch.

I would love that, "Jester" cheering us up, after we skipped a life and death situation.

I guess we won't have it "overdone". As was mentioned in the behind the scenes, we will get a lot of nuances and different calls...

Shagrat

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

*wring hands* Oh dear, oh dear. My virtual war game is just too bloodthirsty. I feel this excited phraseology should bump the ESRB rating to ''T For Teen'' at the very least!

I would imagine a lot of the behavior would vary on the experience level of the RIO, as well as personality, some people would tend t o be more excitable. Then again, I've read multiple accounts where in hindsight people were aurprised how calm they sounded on comms even though they had been borderline freaking out :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

*wring hands* Oh dear, oh dear. My virtual war game is just too bloodthirsty. I feel this excited phraseology should bump the ESRB rating to ''T For Teen'' at the very least!

I would imagine a lot of the behavior would vary on the experience level of the RIO, as well as personality, some people would tend t o be more excitable. Then again, I've read multiple accounts where in hindsight people were aurprised how calm they sounded on comms even though they had been borderline freaking out :p

Yep that is where the "cool" stays until the immediate situation is through, then you have a momentary "high" (cheer and elation) followed by a deep exhaustion when the adrenaline wears off...

Shagrat

I got 2 questions about the RIO position:

1. Will there be a training tutorial for the RIO positions for us wannabe RIOs in MP?

2. Will it be possible to switch to RIO position in SP/MP or even fly a mission soly as RIO?

Skickat från min SM-G950F via Tapatalk

1. Will there be a training tutorial for the RIO positions for us wannabe RIOs in MP?

2. Will it be possible to switch to RIO position in SP/MP or even fly a mission soly as RIO?

2: You won't be able to fly an entire mission as RIO as far as I know. There will only be a rudimentary pilot AI if any.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

1: There will be some sort of training mission for the RIO position, maybe not at early access.

2: In SP it is already possible to switch between the seats as in the other multiseat aircraft. In MP it's not possible atm with the current multiseat functionality, this is unfortunately out of our hands atm.

In regards to SP as a RIO it's not possible atm either I'm afraid, would have to have a more advanced AI if so as it would have to be able to react much more to the environment and what the RIO does if so.

Jester is for RIO work only but it's quite doable to enable autopilot and jump back there to do stuff in SP.

Thanks for the replys. My only real apprehension is that the RIO positions seems important for F14 but there will be no real way of learning or train to become a helpful RIO in MP.

It sure looks like a lot of displays and switches to master back there :-D

A part of NOSIG

The amount of effort and passion that you guys are obviously putting into this module astounds me. It seems like this level of workmanship is definitely lacking in many products being released today. Another huge thank you, Heatblur! You're making a dream come true for so many of us who, due to the cruelty of time, didn't come into this world early enough to fly this baby in real life!

The amount of effort and passion that you guys are obviously putting into this module astounds me. It seems like this level of workmanship is definitely lacking in many products being released today. Another huge thank you, Heatblur! You're making a dream come true for so many of us who, due to the cruelty of time, didn't come into this world early enough to fly this baby in real life!

No kidding. You certainly don't see this quality of work coming from EA, Craptivision or *insert almost any AAA video game developer*. It truly is amazing the amount of love and passion put into a product for a relatively small and niche group of people/gamers/simmers.

And that is one thing that is extremely valuable and key to why I love our niche DCS community so much. You really do get what you pay for without devs constantly trying to screw their fans over and suck their wallets dry on behalf of the company's investors.

Luckily I think hell would have to freeze over before companies like ED or Heatblur would ever even consider stooping to other video game dev's levels.

1: There will be some sort of training mission for the RIO position, maybe not at early access.

2: In SP it is already possible to switch between the seats as in the other multiseat aircraft. In MP it's not possible atm with the current multiseat functionality, this is unfortunately out of our hands atm.

In regards to SP as a RIO it's not possible atm either I'm afraid, would have to have a more advanced AI if so as it would have to be able to react much more to the environment and what the RIO does if so. ...

Any chance that it will be possible to remain at the flight controls while "sitting" in the back seat? Sort of manning both positions at once but "looking" from the RIO position?

I remember that at least in good old Jane's F-15, that functionality made the WSO position quite useable as a sort of "heads down" version of the pilot cockpit, with more displays, etc.

Skickat från min G8441 via Tapatalk

Any chance that it will be possible to remain at the flight controls while "sitting" in the back seat? Sort of manning both positions at once but "looking" from the RIO position?

I remember that at least in good old Jane's F-15, that functionality made the WSO position quite useable as a sort of "heads down" version of the pilot cockpit, with more displays, etc.

Depending on which variant and equipment fitted you may need your joystick to control the radar or LANTRIN from the RIO position

:)

Pure speculation on my part tho.

Anyway great to see the behind the scenes, and great to see such professionalism in the way it has been done.

Much better than my effort in another niche military sim that I recorded my voice for a few years ago :D

Sons of Dogs, Come Eat Flesh

Clan Cameron

Depending on which variant and equipment fitted you may need your joystick to control the radar or LANTRIN from the RIO position

:)

Pure speculation on my part tho.

Anyway great to see the behind the scenes, and great to see such professionalism in the way it has been done.

Much better than my effort in another niche military sim that I recorded my voice for a few years ago :D

Atm not planned.

As Alicatt says you’ll need your joystick to control the radar in the backseat and if you have the lantirn you will need it for that as well.

Okay, so many kind attitude in the voice acting like normal and high, but how about low? Meaning a fear etc? Not when the enemy is behind fear, but when your lead or wingman has been shot down in 2 vs 3 situation and it has generated to be 1 vs 3 etc?

IMHO the voice acting in the games really should reflect the situation that there is going on. As it is 50% of the experience/immersion. And this video was great show how someone is taking it very seriously to really get the experience up there!

I already get ideas how some moments in VR can cause virtual pilots to have bonding with their RIO at the backseat and be worried about their mental status :-D

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Atm not planned.

As Alicatt says you’ll need your joystick to control the radar in the backseat and if you have the lantirn you will need it for that as well.

Too bad. It would likely make single-piloting the two-crewed aircraft much easier and the controls could be solved with either a shift/toggle function or by having a separate stick for RIO stuff.

Please consider at least making it an option!