DCS F-14 Update: JESTER AI Behind the Scenes Recording & Multicrew

Cobra847

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will definately have some Top Gun easter eggs in there :D

On a sidenote, since I have seen that comment quite often, pls note that only a very very small portion of what you can hear will make the final cut.

We "brabble" a lot to immerse ourselves fully in the flight while we might be looking only to grab a few authentic "negatives" during one recording session. Often we record around 60 to 90 minutes, only to get those 5 to 10 mins of authentic callout parts that we are looking for. With this we aim on a maximum of realism and authenticity in a plethora of situations in which the players might find themselves during their flights in the F-14 Tomcat.

So when you hear some jibberish like "I don't got them" there is a very high chance this won't be in. However on the other hand this also creates sometimes interesting byproduct that we would not have thought off and then gets included as well. In this particular part where we dogfight, for example, we were only interested in "negative" and variations of that (and that's just a very small cut of the entire recording session). :smilewink:

Thank you all for your amazing feedback! And most of all, thank you to Grayson for his amazing work!

S!

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

And most of all, thank you to Grayson for his amazing work!

S!

Both of your work, looks/sounds really fantastic ! I was fearing early on that Jester would sound like the AI wingmen, but was hoping that he wouldn´t, Heatblur being Heatblur...

Seems my fears were absolutely unfoundet and there´s finally going to be some "life" in DCS !

We will definately have some Top Gun easter eggs in there :D

On a sidenote, since I have seen that comment quite often, pls note that only a very very small portion of what you can hear will make the final cut.

We "brabble" a lot to immerse ourselves fully in the flight while we might be looking only to grab a few authentic "negatives" during one recording session. Often we record around 60 to 90 minutes, only to get those 5 to 10 mins of authentic callout parts that we are looking for. With this we aim on a maximum of realism and authenticity in a plethora of situations in which the players might find themselves during their flights in the F-14 Tomcat.

So when you hear some jibberish like "I don't got them" there is a very high chance this won't be in. However on the other hand this also creates sometimes interesting byproduct that we would not have thought off and then gets included as well. In this particular part where we dogfight, for example, we were only interested in "negative" and variations of that (and that's just a very small cut of the entire recording session). :smilewink:

Thank you all for your amazing feedback! And most of all, thank you to Grayson for his amazing work!

S!

Please keep the "I'm going to throw up!" line! It's certainly more amusing than bitchin' Betty yelling OVER-G OVER-G

Please keep the "I'm going to throw up!" line! It's certainly more amusing than bitchin' Betty yelling OVER-G OVER-G

Yup, that's exactly the kind of "byproduct" I was talking about lol. It is definately a keeper, hehe.

S!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

I would have tried to hire Anthony Edwards :-)

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Where comes that Jester name from for the GIB-AI feature anyways?

Wasn't it Viper who told Mav in his garden that he would fly with him - and Jester the one, when questioned by Viper before if would wanna fly with Mav, who replied: Dunno???

I mean, c'mon, who would wanna share a pit with Michael Ironside and his portrayal of Jester?

Why not Merlin or Goose (yeah, ok: RIP) or Sundown or Viper the godfather or lend Slider from Ice or whatever?

Sorry for haven't watched the movie yet this year if I got the above wrong, saving the re-view for a Heatblur release...

Excellent stuff, thanks for sharing. Certainly will be parting with money on release.

Also...

Yankee Doodle Floppy Disk, this is Foxtrot Zulu Milkshake, checking in at 700 feet, request permission to land.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Wow, that video was amazing! Great to get a peak into the actual production. That approach of placing the voice actor right inside the cockpit is really cool. Sounds like we're going to get an outstanding RIO!

Thanks graywo1fg and IronMike. That sounds like a lot of hard work (but fun at the same time)! :thumbup:

I just saw this video and that is possibly the coolest "behind the scenes" vid I've ever watched. I've gone from being hardcore "this is heresy" to being open to the idea of having an AI backseater, if it's even 1/10th of what you guys are aiming for. That's really, really impressive, and so cool that you can make the recordings while ACTUALLY performing the related activities.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

It’s amazing how good the placeholder cockpit still looks in VR, would love to hear some real strain in Jester’s voice when pulling hard G’s considering it was always a lot harder on the RIO than the pilot! Outstanding work as usual, carry on Heatblur!

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

So, I'm not really sure how common it is to be repeating stuff, and I could definitely see it being both useful and not useful in high stress situations, but I always thought it sounded pretty cool (probably because the lines were rehearsed - I bet in reality, there'd be more stumbling).

I hope you guys keep a lot of the "random byproducts." If possible, a large deck of sound files with the option to turn on additional ones (even with some stumbling or miscalls and corrections) could be pretty neat.

If there is a way to load up custom sound files and then add-in via the lua files, that would be nice. I'm even envisioning someone making a huge GUI for it, with all the sound files organized into type and stimulus.

I'm sure they will mix it up with "Don't got him" and "Don't have him" (if they don't it drive me crazy....)

Thanks for the update HB

They were letting the whole flight play through to be natural with it, whilst selecting the relevant bites, so these slips will likely not make it into the final release!

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Looks like a great process to get a lot of variety in responses for Jester! I just hope those joyeous ejeculations ''Ohh Splash bandit, NICE'' don't make the cut or just happen really, really seldomly. I know, its just a tiny moment from many hours of recording, still this particular vibe of expressing an air-to-air kill sounds too bloodthirsty for my taste.

Not trying to belittle your hard work, just giving feedback about what i would feel fits or what might get annoying pretty quickly. Will we have like a 3 options checkbox letting us choose ''our'' particular type of Jester? Like option 1.) only proffesional and down to earth tone of speaking, 2.) a bit of fun put in the mix, 3.) joyous, crazy, exited 16year old Jester? :)

Looks like a great process to get a lot of variety in responses for Jester! I just hope those joyeous ejeculations ''Ohh Splash bandit, NICE'' don't make the cut or just happen really, really seldomly. I know, its just a tiny moment from many hours of recording, still this particular vibe of expressing an air-to-air kill sounds too bloodthirsty for my taste.

Not trying to belittle your hard work, just giving feedback about what i would feel fits or what might get annoying pretty quickly. Will we have like a 3 options checkbox letting us choose ''our'' particular type of Jester? Like option 1.) only proffesional and down to earth tone of speaking, 2.) a bit of fun put in the mix, 3.) joyous, crazy, exited 16year old Jester? :)

+1

A question for Nicholas or one of the HB team. If you are going to eventually incorporate pilot bodies for the Tomcat? (I hope you do). Will we be able to see our RIO when we look over our shoulder from the front seat, and vice versa our pilot from the rear seat?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV