DCS F-14 Update: JESTER AI Behind the Scenes Recording & Multicrew

Cobra847

Dear All,

For quite some time now; we’ve been working hard on making JESTER AI a reality. One of the biggest parts of this undertaking is for us to build a comprehensive and realistic voice library, and for the past year, we’ve had a dedicated team at Heatblur doing just that, in the form of Grayson Frohberg (RIO Voice) and Aleksander Studen-Kirchner (Director).

In order to ensure the most natural performance and realism; we decided to approach our recording process in a unique way. By placing the director (Aleksander) into the pilot cockpit and Grayson into the RIO position, and subsequently placing the duo into appropriate combat or non-combat scenarios, we are able to more naturally record voice lines as opposed to dry reading in the studio. Virtual reality helps make the strain of head movement and confusion have a subtle yet important impact on the delivery of certain lines, while natural pauses and hesitation become more apparent and serve as good reference on the engineering side.

Today, we’re reaching the first of our milestones on the recording and creation process of our voice library. Much effort is being made to ensure that JESTER’s speech sounds natural, and much of our current focus lies with refining existing functionality and adding lots of variations to currently implemented calls. For this, our process focuses on plenty of repetition and repeating the same statement multiple times at a time, and then extracting the lines that we feel will fit well.

While we work on unveiling the “new”, non-chromecat-branch F-14 - enjoy this behind the scenes look at the recording process for JESTER AI recorded over the past year!

Stay Tuned!

HB

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my gosh guys, this is beyond awesome. Thanks for the great work! This is going to be my absolute favorite!

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

It looks and sounds incredible!! Really happy with that approach and it will make a difference when flying.

Man, it will be like xmas as a child, when you release the Tomcat. The wait is unbearable :)

Such an Honor to be a part of the ride! Thank you Nick :D

Awesome stuff! That must be weird for you picking up the front seat and still be in the back, too :lol:

At 8:30 you guys shoot a plane down. While the pilot confirms it is a friendly ("visual, visual"), the RIO declares it a bandit after the splash.

Is that the way the Jester AI will react to fratricide by his own pilot? :music_whistling:

Edited by RED
grammar

Thank you for the amazing behind the scenes update. It's coming together nicely and everyday is one day closer to flying the Tomcat. You guys and gals keep up the amazing work and we all are looking forward to the next update. :thumbup::megalol:

:joystick::pilotfly:The Thunderbird:pilotfly::joystick:

Really worth the wait. It is getting better and better. :)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

It looks and sounds incredible!! Really happy with that approach and it will make a difference when flying.

Man, it will be like xmas as a child, when you release the Tomcat. The wait is unbearable :)

Indeed, I just hope we get our grubby little hands on this fantastic module way before ACTUAL xmas 2018 if you know what I mean :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Thanks for this amazing update guys. Can't wait to get my hands on this bird.

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Awesome stuff! That must be weird for you picking up the front seat and still be in the back, too :lol:

At 8:30 you guys shoot a plane down. While the pilot confirms it is a friendly ("visual, visual"), the RIO declares it a bandit after the splash.

Is that the way the Jester AI will react to fratricide by his own pilot? :music_whistling:

Hi Red,

thank you for your feedback, this was just a particular sloppyness on my part, not by Grayson, or Jester so to speak. But you are absolutely right, "visual" is usually for friendly contacts only. (tally is for bandits.)

S!

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

awesome!! thanks for the update! I was really looking forward to have a look at the backseat :D

after "there's two of 'em" i was totally expecting "mig28s noone has been this close before" :music_whistling::lol:

Edited by dix

Hi Red,

thank you for your feedback, this was just a particular sloppyness on my part, not by Grayson, or Jester so to speak. But you are absolutely right, "visual" is usually for friendly contacts only. (tally is for bandits.)

S!

I am sure you two are doing a perfect job with the same passion you had during those events with the 104th. I am looking forward to the outcome! (My feedback wasn't meant too serious, I know that you know what you are doing :smilewink:)

awesome!! thanks for the update! I was really looking forward to have a look at the backseat :D

after "there's two of 'em" i was totally expecting "mig28s noone has been this close before" :music_whistling::lol:

Hahaha, me too. So, not to take away from the great work on display here, but will the sound Lua be editable in such a way that an enterprising individual could replace some of the calls with Anthony Edwards lines, or maybe a few recordings from Final Countdown? Definitely want to use the module as-is for 99% of the time, but just for laughs once in a while, I'd like to hear, "do some of that pilot shit."

Oh, I want this sooooo much!! Can´t wait to sit in this bird with my best buddy ! :shocking:

Just a question, I heard "I don´t got him/them" a few times.

I´m not a native english speaker, but to me it sounds/feels somehow (grammatically) wrong, I would expect for example "I don´t have him" instead, while, if he did in fact see him "I got him" would sound good to me. So, is this aviator lingo, or slang/dialect from a certain part of the States, or is it maybe just plain "wrong" ?

Please don´t get me wrong, I´m not criticising and saying "Hey, your grammar is wrong!", it´s an honest question, as I always try to improve my english, both speaking and understanding.

Oh, and please put a few classic Top Gun quotes like "Do some of that pilot s***!" in there. You can make it optional in the "special"-menu for those that don´t want them :D

edit: Sniped by Dino Might concerning the pilot shit ;-)

Oh, I want this sooooo much!! Can´t wait to sit in this bird with my best buddy ! :shocking:

Just a question, I heard "I don´t got him/them" a few times.

I´m not a native english speaker, but to me it sounds/feels somehow (grammatically) wrong, I would expect for example "I don´t have him" instead, while, if he did in fact see him "I got him" would sound good to me. So, is this aviator lingo, or slang/dialect from a certain part of the States, or is it maybe just plain "wrong" ?

Please don´t get me wrong, I´m not criticising and saying "Hey, your grammar is wrong!", it´s an honest question, as I always try to improve my english, both speaking and understanding.

Oh, and please put a few classic Top Gun quotes like "Do some of that pilot s***!" in there. You can make it optional in the "special"-menu for those that don´t want them :D

edit: Sniped by Dino Might concerning the pilot shit ;-)

It's not 100% correct no, but it is common slang.

"I got this" etc..