It's official - Top Gun 2 is ON!

CheckGear

It's my childhoot movie. I wanted to go to military flight academy after watching it :D

As for the 2n'd part. Now I'm more grow up and see one big issue with this movie - Tom Cruise. The only way it could get worse is Ben Affleck.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

It's an incredibly cringe-worthy film, filled with gaffs, but I enjoyed it as a child.

I recall having an F-14 toy at the time which was on the end of a control column, played missile launch sounds and all that jazz.

Found it, it came with a signed photo of an F-14 squadron, Jolly Rogers;

vintage-1989-hasbro-flying-fighters_1_8885278cfc53f8720c3a86fb366d61f8.jpg

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-1989-hasbro-flying-fighters-1892160379

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

No doubt it will be officially as crap as the first one, what a crap movie that was. No doubt a platform for so and so propaganda rubbish to boot. Why can't they just let a crap movie die in respect of intelligent people ?

Saving my popcorn for another day.

Greetings

Mizzy

I recommend you read "Topgun Days" by Dave Baranek. He was a tomcat RIO in the 80s as well as a Topgun instructor. He took part in making the movie as an adviser, and he's in the back seat of the 2 seat "MIG-28" when the "birdie flew".

The way he described it, there was a lot of research and consulting with actual pilots, and they were all pretty impressed with the result. Of course, there are many, many unrealistic details, but perhaps they were genuinely less @nal about them, and just took it for what it was: a Hollywood movie that was meant to entertain the wide public.

You're still entitled to your opinion, and you're allowed to hate it, but ust how influential this movie was is beyond questioning. This being said, I'm a bit afraid of Top Gun 2, I really doubt it can be as good as the original one.

Spoken like a troll Miz......no one hates Top Gun (...)

Top Gun does have a few nice flying scenes (F-14 vs A-4), but except for that, there is nothing particularly good about it. It's is basically a romantic drama with the occasional plane thrown in.

The Final Countdown does at least have an amusing (but improbable) plot in addition to the awesome navy aircraft.

A reliable source tells me that so far, they're pretty much making it all up as they go along while writing huge checks to the Navy...

Which is good, since that is pretty much how the first Top Gun was made.

PC Specs / Hardware: MSI z370 Gaming Plus Mainboard, Intel 8700k @ 5GHz, MSI Sea Hawk 2080 Ti @ 2100MHz, 32GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM

Displays: Philips BDM4065UC 60Hz 4K UHD Screen, Pimax 8KX

Controllers / Peripherals: VPC MongoosT-50, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, modded MS FFB2/CH Combatstick, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Gametrix JetSeat

Spoken like a troll Miz......no one hates Top Gun except maybe real life Navial Aviators and NFO's who've actually been there and resent a little how It's portrayed.

"No doubt a platform for so and so propaganda rubbish to boot.".......uh, ok, care to explain this position?

Looks like if someone doesn't agree with you, you're a 'troll'. It's called an opinion just for the record get used to it. As for the movie, it was indeed what another post says it was, a romantic drama with nice pretty 80s tunes (which I also thought were over the top) and a few scenes featuring the F-14, F-5 and A-4 which were quite nice, again over the top.

I am not going into any of the political overtones as it's as stated propaganda. And if you read the forum rules, it states clearly no politics !! Lastly "..no one hates Top Gun" what a laugh...read some other peoples post and the internet and get used to other people's opinion.

And it's not 'Miz' it's Mizzy thank you !

No doubt it will be officially as crap as the first one, what a crap movie that was. No doubt a platform for so and so propaganda rubbish to boot. Why can't they just let a crap movie die in respect of intelligent people ?

Greetings

Mizzy

Cool story bro.

Aw man, you've lost that lovin' feeling...

Right, so I'll see myself out....

I never had that lovin' feeling. :(

I recommend you read "Topgun Days" by Dave Baranek. He was a tomcat RIO in the 80s as well as a Topgun instructor. He took part in making the movie as an adviser, and he's in the back seat of the 2 seat "MIG-28" when the "birdie flew".

The way he described it, there was a lot of research and consulting with actual pilots, and they were all pretty impressed with the result. Of course, there are many, many unrealistic details, but perhaps they were genuinely less @nal about them, and just took it for what it was: a Hollywood movie that was meant to entertain the wide public.

Also, if you listen to the audio commentary on the Blu-ray/DVD, a number of NAs and NFOs chime in on the matter. Top Gun was a more realistic film than it was given credit for. It's still no documentary, but it's not like there was no attempt made to make it true-to-life.

You're still entitled to your opinion, and you're allowed to hate it, but ust how influential this movie was is beyond questioning. This being said, I'm a bit afraid of Top Gun 2, I really doubt it can be as good as the original one.

The sequel can be great as long it doesn't try to be like the first one. Look at this remark from director Joe Kosinski:

"The Navy is very different now than it was in 1986. Back then, they hadn't been in any war for 15 or 20 years at that point," he said. "The tone of that movie and what those guys were doing was very different. Now, here in 2017, the Navy's been at war for 20 years. It's just a different world now, so you can't remake the first movie."

According to Kosinski, the sequel has to "adapt."

"That being said, I certainly want to recreate the experience of that movie, which gives you a front-seat into the world of Naval aviation and what it's like to be in a fighter jet," he said. "The approach is going to be appropriate for the times we live in.

So I think the director is keenly aware Top Gun 2 has to be a different film from what the original was in order to be successful. I also get a sense that it may take a more serious tone, given the fact our NAs and NFOs have been fighting wars for almost 20 years now. In other words, play time is over.

Bio's autobio was really good. As I was reading it it seemed a little light on details, but tjen it clicked that it was exactly how he was as an instructor: "tell them what they need to know, not what you know". I thought it was a neat book, and it was cool that someone who was as involved with the film and lucky enough to be a Top Gun instructor during this time. Great book!!!

Greetings

Mizzy

Man, was that really necessary ?

... is that you Iceman ?

Certainly the producers had to make several technical aspects more simplified, so a broader audience could better understand and maintain interest in the movie.

I'm not saying that everyone has to like it.

For me stuff like TOPGUN were marks of the 80's pop culture, not necessarily a "crap movie".

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

Top Gun wasn't anything special, but for us mil aviation fans it has been a great source of movie quotes for the longest time. That in itself is priceless.

I mean, who doesn't use "Negative, Ghostrider; the pattern is full!" almost daily? ;)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Top Gun wasn't anything special, but for us mil aviation fans it has been a great source of movie quotes for the longest time. That in itself is priceless.

I mean, who doesn't use "Negative, Ghostrider; the pattern is full!" almost daily? ;)

Yep, or whilst walking out to ride/drive/fly somewhere; "Kick the tyres and light the fires!"

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

I know you're going to tear me apart, but I think the only good thing about the movie was the soundtrack and the F-14. The plot was very shallow. Fighterpilots with claustrophobia and uncontrolled testosterone. Not even one of those guys would have made it into a fightercockpit in real life... :doh:

What are you even talking about? If you mean that they wouldn't be real fighter pilots, well no they are actors portraying fiction so duh. However most if not all the actors in action scenes where indeed actually in the jets in the air experiencing G's. The most inaccurate thing about the movie was the portrayal of Top Gun as some sort of competition, which it is not. Well that and the "Mig-28", but I'd imagine getting their hand on real Russian hardware would have been too challenging. The movie still single handedly led to a huge rise Naval enlistment at the time. Which ironically enough the US military is hugely in need of more pilots right now.

That wasn't from Top Gun.

I stand corrected, Independence Day; Harry C Jr.

Anyway, the plot should be a lot darker now a days, and being taht the "Bug" is not as sexy as the CAT, they better mix it up with maybe agressors Vipers, or kfirs LOl....

Just my 2 cents :

For much of my dismay and nostalgia, although the venerable Tomcat will not feature in "TOPGUN 2" for obvious and understandable reasons, I pretty much prefer the Hornet over the " F-35 ".

... because in my mind that "thing" (money pit), doesn't have anything to do with the "TOPGUN" concept / dogfights / aerial combat / etc, nothing whatsoever.

The F-35 sure can be a fantastic state-of-the-art, hi-tech, military aircraft, whatever... but it just doesn't have the "charisma", the dynamic factor, to be the "star plane" in a movie of this kind.

(The same goes to "UAVs", "drones" and that kind of s***, also don't have a spotlight place in a movie like TOPGUN - that would be ruigning it.)

Hangar
FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | F/A-18C | MiG-21bis | Mirage 2000C ... ... JA 37 | Kfir | MiG-23 | Mirage IIIE
Mi-8 MTV2

system
i7-4790 K , 16 GB DDR3 , GTX 1660 Ti 6GB , Samsung 860 QVO 1TB

The leaked story treatment for Top Gun: Maverick acts as a bookend to the original Top Gun..it deals with the "end" of dog fighting, 5th Generation Aircraft, drones and aging ...where the original Top Gun was about relishing in the golden era of modern dogfighting etc...

Just my 2 cents :

For much of my dismay and nostalgia, although the venerable Tomcat will not feature in "TOPGUN 2" for obvious and understandable reasons, I pretty much prefer the Hornet over the " F-35 ".

... because in my mind that "thing" (money pit), doesn't have anything to do with the "TOPGUN" concept / dogfights / aerial combat / etc, nothing whatsoever.

The F-35 sure can be a fantastic state-of-the-art, hi-tech, military aircraft, whatever... but it just doesn't have the "charisma", the dynamic factor, to be the "star plane" in a movie of this kind.

(The same goes to "UAVs", "drones" and that kind of s***, also don't have a spotlight place in a movie like TOPGUN - that would be ruigning it.)

The F-35 maneuvers WVR between the F-16 and F-18. This is with the latest Block 3f software finally making it to units. It has no alpha limiter- so it'll give you all you ask for and allow you to bleed it to a stall. In order to beat it, legacy fighters have to fight it centerline tank or clean, and its very difficult. The F-35C has a larger tail and wing, and although it has a podded gun only, it should be the best in the WVR arena by a longshot.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Just my 2 cents :

I stand corrected, Independence Day; Harry C Jr.

It's kind of funny to think Harry Connick, Jr. was once an onscreen fighter jock.

Just my 2 cents :

Overanalysis. The F-35 hasn't earned a role in the new film because, well...

It's barely entered service. :dunno: