RIO VR effectiveness?

Wrench

Does anybody have a guess if the RIO's instrumentation will be clearly visible in VR? I'm mostly looking forward to RIO, but I'm afraid it'll get boring on a flat screen, especially now that I'm spoiled.

Maybe some viggen guys can guess given they've got a ground radar, just to get a sense of how systems like this work in VR, and how they are supported by DCS/heatblur for that purpose?

Does anybody have a guess if the RIO's instrumentation will be clearly visible in VR? I'm mostly looking forward to RIO, but I'm afraid it'll get boring on a flat screen, especially now that I'm spoiled.

Maybe some viggen guys can guess given they've got a ground radar, just to get a sense of how systems like this work in VR, and how they are supported by DCS/heatblur for that purpose?

They have shown actual in-game screenshots and renders of the RIO's "office." It is fully 3D-modeled.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

It is true that with the Viggen the textures need to be set to high for all dials to be legible. And currently my PC is not powerful enough to run VR with high textures (although im not running a GTX 1080 yet),so this is a bit of an unknown area. Guess we will have to wait and see.

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

I always use VR PD of 1.4 on 1070 Laptop and 1.5 on 1080. I can read everything I need to occasionally I will lean forward to see a video screen but it's all good. My biggest concern is that Jester will be too good at spotting shots and targets for fair multiplayer use.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

My biggest concern is that Jester will be too good at spotting shots and targets for fair multiplayer use.

I would die of laughter if there were significant complaints about that. People have been getting chewed out forever on this forum for complaining about things being "not fair" in this sim.

My point was on the true Multiplayer servers where it's all PVP you will now have an AI element involved and given that there is a fair amount of finness to correctly use a radar it may be hard to correctly balance.

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

;)

09577c6103215f8.jpg.b34618366358cdbe866b0fad4bd50c44.jpg

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

True. I'm sure it'll be doable, I'm just afraid I'll have to have my face 3 inches from the screen to be able to read it,lol.

I suppose technically in a rift your face is always 3" from the screen.

VR is weird.

The screens in HMD are just few centimeters from your eyes, but the optics are there to render the screens like it would be 2 meters from your eyes. So your eyes are focusing constantly to 2 meters distance. That is as well causing trouble as close-range viewing gets blurred too much.

Why Rift 2.0 was presented with the technology to physically move the panels backward and forward so when you look something at close, the panels are moved so that your eyes actually need to focus to close.

The problem is still in VR that most instruments are unreadable etc. Especially small ones. Where a normal display user gets very fine sharp HUD and crosshairs and can spot the targets edges nicely, the VR user gets like 2-3x softer elements and you can't easily even tell what you are aiming at exactly (at the target or just few meters a side etc).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I have a CV1, The next generation rift won't be out for a while yet.

From what I hear, the Vive pro isn't really a game-changer, just a slight bump.

And besides, if it were a problem, and from what I'm hearing it isn't, I could see making concessions for screen resolution problems.

It's the same as model distance scaling and other technologies.

There is no substitute for visual acuity.

That said, from the sound of things it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• 1 month later...

I flight Hornet, A10, Huey and Hip woth Oculus Rift.

I have NO Problems reading instruments. In the Hornet everything is clear. (I use pixel ratio 1.5)

Woth VR Zoom you miss nothing.

And special in RIO where you can full concentrate on the Momitors there should be no problem.

I would die of laughter if there were significant complaints about that. People have been getting chewed out forever on this forum for complaining about things being "not fair" in this sim.

The DCS AI in general has blind spots equal to that of a human pilot, based on line of sight with the cockpit and range. So an IR missile from 6 oclock low would go unnoticed.

I have quite a lot of time in the RIO pit testing stuff and I only fly with VR nowadays, a Rift CV1.

The screens in my opinion isn't a problem at all, the stuff is clear enough to be visible, you might sometimes want to lean in to see weak returns on the DDD but like Cobra already mentioned it is close to your face anyway and tbh it feels kinda authentic to want to sometimes take a closer peek at it.

The TID really isn't a problem as the symbology is a bit larger and quite clear actually.